• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Michelin Pilot Road 4 or 4 GT

My first set of PR4 GTs were delivered from Competition Accessories on 1/8/14

The front looks almost the same as a PR3 except the grooves and sipes are wider and look a bit deeper

The rear is similar to the PR3 though the grooves are wider, longer, in a slightly different pattern which includes a center set of grooves and wear indicator dots- no excuses for hitting the cords on this one. Again the grooves look deeper than a 3.

I didn't have a tread gauge handy but the grooves that appear deeper may be the indicator of why Michelin is claiming 30% more life than a PR3.

I would imagine the formula may be different, too. You probably can't see that. The formula for the compound or rubber or whatever.
I imagine a lot of science or technology or chemistry goes into that. You know, mixing, and adding additives, like that.
I have heard or been told that they are available now. But I'm going to wait just a bit longer til I hit 13000 on my 3s, and til they work the bugs out. You know, adjust that formula a little one way or the other.
And fine tune the machinery.
I don't want to be a beta tester on those tires.
dc

Would also expect some rubber differences- tire companies do that pretty routinely. Don't have a durometer where I keep my bikes and that is still a bit limited in what it can tell me.
Understand not wanting to be a beta tester- I rarely volunteer for that on anything, especially machine related bits. Much prefer others to deal with beta issues. But I don't look at the PR4 quite that way after a recent half dozen years of very good experience with several types of Pilot Powers and Pilot Roads on a range of bikes to the extent I've made them the std tire for all the street bikes in our garage- I always have a spare set or 2 on hand. Michelin has long been the industry leader on tire manufacturing technologies, for example, introducing the modern tire mini plant concept which has radically altered traditional methods. (I was no fan of their street cage radials like the xAS in the 1970s- they all hydroplaned too easily for my tastes due to inadequate tread patterns and I ended up removing a couple sets at 5/32 remaining tread because the handling in the wet had deteriorated to unacceptable).

Whether the PR4 will live up to the mileage claims is unsettled, of course. (I expect we'll have to wait until at least the end of this year to get a reasonable number of user reports on that). But I don't believe that Michelin has gone backwards now after years of solid progress. Their tire profiles promote the type of handling I prefer for street use, also, compared to some others. Still, there may be a small chance that they're using a "harder" rubber that will hurt wet or cold traction though my visual inspection suggests they're likely using a different approach.

And it didn't hurt that the promo price for the PR4 was lower than the price for the PR3.

I've read about some rare, very odd problems with PR3s (eg extremely soft tires that came apart after very few miles) but never seen or directly known anyone in our local club with any such problems.

Can't wait for my stock Battlecraps to be done with so I can get some PR4s. They have them in stock here at Road Rider in San Jose.

Yep, I just got a set from Revzilla. They look very nice, will get them mounted next week when I'm back in town. Amazingly, I ordered late Wed night and they had them on my doorstep Friday noon.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

trumpetman

I have 11,300 on my PR3 tires. So by January when these new tires will be available, I will be itching for new tires.
I'm itching now, but I want to wait for the 4s.
My tires still look good, but when the time comes, I need to know:
Why would I want the GT tire rather than the ordinary Pilot Road 4 tire?
I see that the GT will be the tire on the latest RTs.
I have an 08 RT.
Does anybody know this yet? Or must I want til some riders get and use these tires?
dc

I'm really impressed wth the mileage report on the PR3's. It was time to replace the Metzler Z8's which did not hold up like I wanted. It gets expensiveness replacing tires every 6 to 7k. I did the research and went with the PR4's. And yes, your dealer can get them. I got the GT's per advice from dealer. The GT's are supposedly for the heavier bikes like the RT, but truth is, since I never have a passenger I do not think GT's were necessary. So far I am very impressed with the tire. The depth of the tread is very apparently deep and the scipes are impressive. When going into a hard curve you can actually feel the friction dynamics shift from the centerline of the tire to the sides where the material is softer for better grip. I really like these new tires:dance

I have 17,000 miles on the PR3s on my 2011 R1200RT. Plenty of tread still available but front has some ridging. Will be replacing soon with another pair of PR3 or PR4

[QUOTE
Pilot Road 4 Trail for adventure touring bikes ridden exclusively on the road
[/I][/QUOTE]

I used the 3's on my K bike and absolutely loved them.... Now I have a F700 GS and would like to put Michelin tires on her once the original tires wear out, but would be concerned that the 4 trail tire may not do the trick when riding on gravel roads.... I'd like to hear opinions on whether this trail tire is strictly a road tire or if it follows the 80/20 rule that I will most likely be using my new GS.....

I would imagine the formula may be different, too. You probably can't see that. The formula for the compound or rubber or whatever.
I imagine a lot of science or technology or chemistry goes into that. You know, mixing, and adding additives, like that.
I have heard or been told that they are available now. But I'm going to wait just a bit longer til I hit 13000 on my 3s, and til they work the bugs out. You know, adjust that formula a little one way or the other.
And fine tune the machinery.
I don't want to be a beta tester on those tires.
dc
I haven't stepped in a tire plant since 1973 but if you google "tread rubber ingredients" the wiki lists the same stuff they were piling onto the conveyor for the trip into the banbury mill (huge mixer that chemically combines the goodies) as when I was there. Same stuff. I was in that area for over two years so had a good feel for what went in the hopper. One of my best friends (had a college degree too & great fb player) drove the fork lifts that serviced the mills with pallet loads of this same stuff I speak of. I just don't buy the "reinvented new technology concept of a tire" as sold to us each tire model change.
The fibers that are used now have changed some & various angles as they are applied to the carcass & % of this and that(rubber recipe) may have changed but sameo basic stuff, otherwise.
I fully agree MC tires have improved but mostly hype and recipe "adjustments" IMO, not some "secret ingredient" that creates a magical road experience . I used to work some near the lab where they broke down the tires for "analyzation" & would watch the process as they ground away layers of tires,etc., and I asked questions from a "greasy guys point of view". It didn't impress me as something on the order of trying to get to the moon...

Thought I'd revive this thread to see how people are liking the PR4s so far. Please tell me they suck. I'm just getting ready to put on a set of PR3s because the local shop has the PR3s in stock and I need to be on the road, but if he had the PR4s I'd probably give them a try. I have to say, I loved this set of PR3s and as someone said earlier, it's hard to believe that Michelin could actually improve on those. For the record, I got 10,049 miles out of them. Thought I was going to get another 1500 or so but I totally evaporated the remaining tread this weekend at the BMW Getaway in Western NC.

Yeah the last 1500 miles of tread goes faster than the last 1/8 of a tank. I was eager to lose my Battlecraps after making it home from Big Bend on belts - and happy to get PR4s fresh after release - but accidentally ordered a GT front and regular rear. Everything seems well on the road and the bike has never felt better. Very confidence-inspiring for me. The only negative thing I've ever read about them is the response is a little numbed for those more used to razor-precise handling sport tires. I sure don't notice.

Just curious if anyone is using the standard (non GT) PR4s on an R1200RT. I'm in need of new tires and can't wait for the GTs to come off back order. I'm assuming the standard PR4s will be fine just as the PR3s were.

Just curious if anyone is using the standard (non GT) PR4s on an R1200RT. I'm in need of new tires and can't wait for the GTs to come off back order. I'm assuming the standard PR4s will be fine just as the PR3s were.

Nate
Long beach bmw says no issue getting the GT's

Yeah, my local dealer has them too. I just have the problem with paying full MSRP ($400+) when they are available everywhere else for 40% off.

GT availability

I got my PR4-GTs from Revzilla two weeks ago, 3 days after ordering. PErhaps the demand even has them out of the tire. I really like them on my 2013 RT which came with ME Z8.

Wow!

My first reaction when I pulled out of Detroit BMW on our R1200RT with a fresh set of MPR 4's, not the GT. I can't believe how terrible my stock Bridgestones where. Instantly the ride changed, and when I finally got on I 75 at speed I had a smile ear to ear. With 5000 miles on the old rubber i was hesitant to go with new tires yet because there was still plenty of treat left but the Bridgestones did show considerable cupping. I have never made an improvement on a bike that changed the ride as much as this. Yes my old tires where bad but these Road Pilots instill such confidence. After nearly 12 hours of aggressive riding in southern Ohio in on again off again rain with heavy storms at times these tires are amazing. With clean fresh pavement you are able to easily control a smooth slide with no surprises. Some areas we rode in had running water and obviously we to took it easy but the bike stayed planted solid. This change made the RT feel so much more comfortable in turns, and eliminated the howl i had with the old tires.

I should report on my PR4s. I have had them for several months now. And I just returned from over 4000 miles thru' Idaho and Montana and all from here to there.
The tires are excellent. Better than the 3s.
And, like all Michelin, way better than Bridgestone. Or Continental.
dc

I think I had over 14,000 on the 3s when I put the 4s on. And the 3s still looked good.

GT or non GT?

Hey everyone! :wave
I'm in need of some new rubber on my 2013 R1200R, currently wore out my Metzler Z8's. I think I'm going to go with the new Michelin PR4's but can't decide on the standard or GT. Michelin's site says to use the standard, not the GT, but, I do lot's of travelling with my BMW panniers and top case, I believe the same as the RT panniers. And on top of that a duffle with my tent gear on the seat behind me. Never ride two up, at least not yet. I realize that my R is lighter than the RT without the faring, but that's really about it. I'm talking the air/oil cooled RT, not the LC.
I'm thinking of going with the GT's but am a bit concerned about harshness and handling without the luggage.
Opinions?

cheers!

Back