• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Man or critter ?

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member

Took Chuck's muffler off while tire changing on his R12R...left on floor for maybe 20 hours. I got lazy yesterday when it got cold/rainy and went in the house...he wasn't coming today anyways.

As I was replacing it this afternoon, I heard it rattle as I rotated it and found all of this after much shaking and switching inlet/outlet orientation .I had the radio cranked on the prior day so maybe missed it.

Muffler%20nuts-L.jpg

I checked a few other mufflers on the floor close to this spot...no acorns or anything in them. They have a bit of soot on them, but don't smell roasted.
He runs with the sidecases most of the time so a pelting from above seems unlikely. He keeps in an attached garage that's fairly sealed...I wondered if someone is jacking with him...or a squirrel at his office?
Pretty funny anyways...have seen the mice nests before...but this is a lot of NUTS:laugh:laugh:laugh

Might want to check the air box. See what you find in there.

I'm skeered to! I asked Chuck who was pissed at him at work...about a coffee cup full:whistle
:eek

We have big squirrels...none that "cute" , but still possible

An old song "I live in a place where the nuts chace the squirrels" really does apply here........What kind of nuts are those anyway?.......They surely don't look like the oaks that I am familiar with there in south central Texas......or are they?..........Really would be great if they were some kind of Brazilian nut:scratch or.......A new way to transport that powdered nose candy that some imbibe there in Austin town.:whistle........God bless..........Dennis

Definitely Live Oak acorns...on my property alone just by the house, there are prob 6 bushels worth on ground,deck,roof.gutters...well you get the idea. Also with a metal roof...still sounds like a golf ball falling on the roof when it's windy...or when you just doze off.

I was going to tell Chuck his bike smells like roasted nuts when following him...or dodge them when he throttled up!

Could be that cute little chipmunk, or a squirrel or mouse. They all cache seeds and nuts for the winter. My experience with them is mostly limited to an airbox (ST1300, Accord) but a few years ago I pulled almost a quart of sunflower seeds out of the headliner of my wife's Accord. Seems a very busy mouse had been moving them from the bird feeder about 100 feet to the garage and into her car. Mice can get through very small spaces so no place is truly mouse proof.

A cat works pretty well as a preventer but I've been using moth balls for years around the garage doors and in trays under the R-RT and haven't seen any sign of mice. Keeps the tigers away, too. (old joke)

pete

Looks like the work of an industrious squirrel. One time I found a similar cache inside an old ink jet printer I had on my garage workbench.

Check out this microwave antenna found to be full of nuts!

A new way to transport that powdered nose candy that some imbibe there in Austin town.:whistle........

Brings a whole new meaning to crack pipe :groovy

Pete
I know I have winter varmits, even more when I leave the roll-up doors open ...Helen finds them in her gym (located in the shop bldg)...I usually sneak out when I hear her ....quickly:D
It's possible that happened in a day of the pipe being on the floor,that's a lot of trips...No cats...the blue heeler does some mousin' on occasion

And Mark,
WOW! I have climbed past those ,never thought of that! That's a heaping HUGE amount of nuts! How long did that take...maybe it said? I guess their signal to/from that dish was going nuts....:jester

Last edited:
We routinely encounter similar every spring. This year there was a sportbike with slip-on muffler, rather large can. Couldn't get the bike to stay running at idle. Found corn in the airbox. Still wouldn't idle. Pulled the can and found it full of corn, along with the pipe all the way to where the individual headers joined. Several pounds of corn. Also had a rather large ATV, new last year. Not only the muffler and airbox, but the intake snorkel that went up under the tank was full.

Looks like the work of an industrious squirrel. One time I found a similar cache inside an old ink jet printer I had on my garage workbench.

Can you hear me now? Hello? Can you hear me now. Hits phone. Hello?

Rod

I kept my son's RC51 for him while he was stationed in Korea a few years back. Pulled the Battery Tender off one warm day in late Feb or early March to take it out for a spin. Went to start it up. Hard to start, not surprising as it had been just sitting for awhile. Finally started, sounded strangled. I figured "crap could be wasps in the air-box" but thought I'd just give the throttle one quick twist, and POP! In a cloud of black feathers out popped a dead starling. Which answered the question "What's that smell?" at the same time.

Funny, that bike was a lesson in contradiction. How could a person have that much fun while being SO uncomfortable?

[/QUOTE

For me, sometimes, I am so envious of you City Fellas!!!! Just this year alone: Every time I open the hood of the Merc 320SLK there in the bottom of the hood liner are a couple of entry holes for the critters. BUT, out rolls dozens of acorns that the critter has placed inside for, I guess, heat treatment and baking of their acorn collection. Rediculously RUDE of them.

For the second time this year, I have had to PAY a tech to crawl under the dash of the above auto in order to take out a dead critter from the fan cage. It makes me feel terribly guilty to have disturbed the poor little fella who just wanted a cozy place to raise his family or eat his supper...……..

Rocky, the flying squirrel and his mate bit the dust down in the tack shed. Coming in through roof vents, they knocked things off of shelves, opened sacks and packaging, and chewed their way through saddle horns to find the tasty morsels available throughout the shed...….They bypassed feed sacks and instead went after the horsey treats that even the pasture guard dogs go after. Their desert was the saline soaked saddle horn of the oldest, most used, and most valuable saddle of the 6 available. I did feel a bit guilty to put Rocky away, as he was still, suffering in the trap; but looking at the havoc he was able to create over several nights, all of that quickly flew out the door...…..Bless his furry little heart and may he be in the ether with Bullwinkle in the cancelled series void...…..

You city guys with your roaches need to join your country cousins for REAL ADVENTURE!!!!

Isnt life GRAND...…….God blesss……...

Wow, old thread! Still amazed with the volume in that microwave drum

Dennis, you have some varmits that just like German craftsmanship! Had a run of raccoons for a bit again this year, but for now have left me alone.

Had another incident a few years back when I was getting the /6 running. Upon first start on a lift, I peppered one of H's bikes parked parallel to it with acorns and rust from both exhausts . I spent the rest of the afternoon cleaning her bike off before I got caught! Lessons learned:whistle

I know shake the heck out of any exhaust left on the floor more than a day and clear the flightline when starting.

I'm a General Contractor and several years ago we tore into a house. On one 8 ft. tall wall about 12 ft long the mice had packed the stud bays with dog food. There were several of the little guys dead where they chewed thought the 110 wiring and got zapped. I was amazed at the bulk of the dog food and that the house didn't catch fire.

Back