• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Thinking about a new 1600GT - Do they still have issues?

don't have left pull problem and really have not heard of it....I do have 3 cracked pistons and they have this problem....2013 with 53500 miles was sucking oil into the air box then burning it(smoking) at higher than legal speeds.....Dealer pullled it apart for 3 bad pistons big problem is they have no replacements any where in the states and back ordered from Germany.....so my bike sets torn apart with no repair parts no loaner to ride....Trust me this is not a one off problem there are many out there.....be prepared BMW as usual has turned there back on this problem just like they did with driveshaft problems a few years ago.....keep an eye on your oil drain off tube from the air box.....

don't have left pull problem and really have not heard of it....I do have 3 cracked pistons and they have this problem....2013 with 53500 miles was sucking oil into the air box then burning it(smoking) at higher than legal speeds.....Dealer pullled it apart for 3 bad pistons big problem is they have no replacements any where in the states and back ordered from Germany.....so my bike sets torn apart with no repair parts no loaner to ride....Trust me this is not a one off problem there are many out there.....be prepared BMW as usual has turned there back on this problem just like they did with driveshaft problems a few years ago.....keep an eye on your oil drain off tube from the air box.....

Where did the pistons crack?

FWIW, I've seen pistons from a K1600 with broken ring lands, which is often an indication of detonation.
Detonation usually occurs with low-octane fuel, advanced ignition timing, or engine lugging.

Many engine management systems have knock sensors and will retard timing automatically to avoid damage, but maybe the K1600 system is not 100% effective? Is a software update available?

Did you ever hear any pinging at low rpms?

Did you have the Recall: Replacing DME Integration Level (Warranty Job) performed by a dealer in spring 2015 as it was thought to be a software update to address a lean running condition?

Back