• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 f800gs

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
We are about to go look at a 2009 F800GS that would augment, not replace Annie's F650GS. The bike reportedly has 4700 miles and is heavily accessorized.

Before I go look at the 800 I'd like to know if there are any quirks peculiar to the 09 and if there are any recalls to check on ( I believe they were recalled to replace the chains).

Gary, got the PM. The issue is with my wife's access to the forum. We use Mac almost exclusively. I haven 't looked into trying to fix it yet.

I picked up a used 09 as an add on bike. I've been real pleased with it. Tough as nails, handles well on gravel in off road and does a passable job on the freeway. With boxes on the back my mileage is no better than my RT however. Good luck - I think you will like it.

Dealer can check for recalls from the VIN- coolant hose, axle, chain (and sprockets for free). non-recall issues are disintegrating wheel bearings, which are an easy fix if you get them before they blowup- I check mine at every tire change, and replaced the rear bearings & seals at ~25K miles.
bike currently has 32K on it.. great bike, really love it.
check advrider for more thorough discussions. some have noted bending/breaking upper shock bolts, but that seems most common amongst those who are more aggressive off-road..

Great Bike

I have over 70000km on the bike, other then the chain recall here are a few of the issues I had so far. The bike never let me down on the side of the road!

1. Fan motor, replace under warranty, spin the fan once in awhile it will prevent a bad motor, after riding thru rain
2. Wheel bearing rusting up, checked every tire changed and replaced, 2 so far. PS I re-grease them each year.
3. Battery, replace under warranty
4. Headlight bulb

Other issues were created be me having a bad day, but the bike is still good to go. Got a rock on the headlight lens, 450$ late and a guard no more issues. 3 sets of chains and sprockets and tires (almost 20000km per year.

hope it helps

Garry

Back