• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pinlock fogging

Riding in the mountains, I contend with fogged shields a lot. Early mornings, even in the summer can be a fogging problem. Winter days are always a fogging problem! I found that if I lift (open) the shield to the first notch, the air movement will quickly remove the fog. Does get a bit chilly on the winter days, but better than not being able to see that deer that is about to give you a heart attack.

I purchased a Nolan with pin lock a year ago. I use the pin lock only at times that I know I will have fogging problems, which is a lot of the time. I keep the pin lock clean as much as practical. So far the pin lock works great! So I keep the pin lock stowed on the bike, always.

I found that if I lift (open) the shield to the first notch, the air movement will quickly remove the fog.

I do this with my Multitec, but then I get a blast of air in my eyes, which is why I wear a set of clear wrap-around safety glasses; the air movement keeps my face cool (which lessens the fogging created by warm, moist skin) and keeps the low-flying beetles and road grime out my eyes. I discovered this trick on a night ride home from work when I had to stay a few hours overtime. I'd never noticed a problem during the day because I always wear sunglasses.

Still... they are all a major design FAIL on the part of helmet manufacturers. They all tout their ventilation systems but no one has come up with a "defroster" system yet... hmmmmm. Electric face shield defrosters.. . . .. what's another couple of watts at this point? Another three or four ounces and another electrical connection to your helmet.

xin_5007021414278622885216.jpg

My Nolan with PinLock started to fog up when it got below freezing. That's when I discovered that the pins in the visor are eccentric so you can adjust the tension. Once I did that, the troublesome area on the bottom sealed up. No no fogging up even at temperatures of -20F. The electric visor looks interesting and may be a better long term solution.

My Nolan with PinLock started to fog up when it got below freezing. That's when I discovered that the pins in the visor are eccentric so you can adjust the tension. Once I did that, the troublesome area on the bottom sealed up. No no fogging up even at temperatures of -20F. The electric visor looks interesting and may be a better long term solution.

+1 on discovering the eccentric pins. A partial turn of the screw tightened up my PinLock and Bob's your uncle - fogging gone!

Give it a try before you give up on the PinLock all together.

That's what seems to work for me. It gives the inside of the lens more clearance for airflow. Because I only have one eye I wear my glasses very close for eye protection & they seem to fog up just from body heat.

I rode about 150 miles in Charlotte today. The temps were from 35 to 39 degrees F & the humidity was 100% plus it rained all day. I couldn't keep my glasses from fogging up on the inside at stop lights but as soon as I was moving again they would clear up right away. I was always able to look over my glasses until they cleared up.

My first ride of the 2012 season was perhaps the scariest of my life - and it was only a 30 mile trip! The "possibility" of showers turned into the reality of hail, fortunately when I was off the highway and on slow back roads. I could handle the slippery roads but not the fogged face shield. Only option was to open the face shield a notch on my Shoei RF-1000. Then there was water on the inside of the shield as well.

Having tried numerous "anti-fog" formulas (that worked only briefly and poorly at best) I bought a clear pinlock shield the next day. Guess I have been lucky, as it has worked perfectly on some cold and rainy mountain passes with absolutely no adjustment of the tiny screws. I only clean the inside of the shield with warm water and a little dish soap, rinse, then dry with a microfiber cloth. So far, zero fogging.

I wear glasses and have experienced them fogging for a few seconds. Maybe should try some of the "anti-fog" solutions on them when the conditions are right for fogging.

When I first got the Pinlock visor, I did notice that the view was not QUITE as clear as with the original shield. Since then, I have gotten used to it. "Less than great" all the time beats "fogged up and blind" on occasions when you most need to see well. Since I don't ride at night, can't comment on that aspect.

Have any of you with bad experiences with Pinlock visors tried contacting the company? This product has been widely praised as THE ANSWER TO FOGGING and I would think they would be most anxious to help you out and avoid the bad publicity they are receiving here.

I use pinlocks and can't claim to have any problems at any temp.

Yes, they can be fogged like everything else ever made but it takes a lot to do it- very extreme fogging conditions from nature or your own breath. Especially in helmets that have only a moderate amount of space in front, trap breath (like some Schuberths with the non-removable curtains), or have poor ventilation. But even a bit of venting clears a pinlock pretty easily.

I've never seen anything better despite the fact they're not a 100% guarantee. My glasses fog a lot sooner than a pinlock ever would and need more work. And I like a bit of cool air on my face so don't mind cracking the screen a little in any weather.

I don't think its a good idea to remove them a lot- that seal doesn't look like it was designed for multiple application..

Back