• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New F700 this Saturday....

weschmann

Kawa Afterthought
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the F Series bikes, as I have just pulled the plug on a new 2013 700 GS. Downgrading from an 02 K 1200RS, which was the best bike I've every owned, in terms of pure riding pleasure, but was getting too heavy for me to want to wrestle with on long trips..... So, after a lot of indecision, (and a test ride and a lot of sitting time in different bikes at GateWay BMW in St. Louis, I finally settled on the 700. My thoughts are that instead of just riding 6000 miles on hard surface, (as I did this summer going to the rally in Oregon) once I get there, I'd like to be able to do some sightseeing off the beaten path. And on top of that, I'd like to be ready for those stretches of road where the blacktop just disappears for 30 miles or so, with the Dukes of Hazard on my tail wondering why I can't run on the gravel like on the slab....:)
So, I've thrown in the towel on high speed 120 mph stretches, and backing down to a more mundane 70 mph, but hope to spend a lot more time seeing the passing countryside, instead of it just being a blur.
Of course, since red is the fastest color, I just had to pick up one that is the fastest of the bunch, but will have to dream of keeping up with my beloved K-bike.
Anyway, Saturday can't come soon enough, even though it's supposed to be in the low 30's all day, so I'm hoping the dealership takes pity on me and allows a mechanic to install my pigtail to the battery for my heated gloves, otherwise, I'll be testing out the heated grips quickly to see if they're up to their reported effectiveness. The grips on my K-bike were never really much good below 30 degrees at 70 mph....:-(
So, if anyone has any advice on break-in information on this bike, I would sure appreciate the information.....

Congrats on your new F700GS, mine is also red. If fact this weekend it turned over 10,000 trouble free miles. As far as breaking in, I'm not an expert but I just rode it normal without any long 6th gear runs. I also added a custom seat, windshield and bar risers. If you want to go fast, it will. 100mph no sweat. I've only had it since February this year and the added BMW plug for heated gear really is important. I like the heated gloves better than the heated grips.

Thanks guys for the replies.... I agree that heated gloves are better than heated grips, and have both Gerbing gloves and jacket, although the jacket (bought second hand off this forum) only lasted a couple of trips before it started wimping out.....But it still works great as a windbreaker under my heavy leather jacket, so I just ran the glove wire through the inside liner, alongside of the original wires..... Plan on trouble shooting the connections inside of the jacket this weekend, as it'll be below 30 tomorrow when I go to pick it up...... It's going to be a bit chilly for my first ride, (about 120 miles round trip) but worth every penny of cold discomfort..... I can't wait to get my first 600 miles on her in a couple of weeks, so I can take her out on some farm roads to start getting used to her.....

Can I ask, how many miles do you do between chain oiling? I used to have a Honda 750 chain drive that I went 1000 miles between oiling with their recommended spray oil that had retainers in it to keep from flinging too much......

Also, are you getting the published 60 miles per gallon in MPG usage? I am anticipating at least a 180 mile range before having to worry about running out of gas, so I hope their claim is valid.....

I can't wait to go to the Minnesota rally next year and participate in the GS events. Never have done any off roading at all, so at my age, it might take me a little to get used to the process, but expect to have a big, big smile on my face as I learn the ropes......:):thumb

congratulations on your new bike! I predict you are going to like it. Yep, you have traded the high speed tarmac runs away but as you mentioned the slow ride through the forest is very rewarding! Have fun, ride safe tomorrow and stay warm!

Mpg

I also have a red F700GS. Regarding MPG, in general it will give me 70+MPG at 50MPH and 50MPG at 70MPH. What I find interesting is that the hotter the ambient temp the higher the MPG. My son and I took a long ride last weekend and because of the speed 70+MPH and saddlebags I got below 50MPG. But then I was trying to keep up with a Honda CBR.

Another Happy F700

After being off bikes for about 10 years and 2 years of kicking tires at my local dealer (bless his patience), I picked up a 2014 F700 about 3 weeks and 500 miles ago. Couldn't be happier to be riding again, and very much enjoying my choice.

Is it a sign of old age moving to a smaller bike?

I just have to ask the question..... I had a response to a post to my face book showing my new 700F with a comment that since I was moving down a somewhat in engine power, that it was a sign of getting older..... I had to think a little about a reply, but it seems to me, that since I've never done any dirt bike or off road riding, and at 62 years young, I'm just now starting a new adventure, that it's not even close to a sign of getting older.... If I felt that way, I'd just stayed on a cruiser like all the other old fat guys tooling around on their Harley's....:dance
So, I'm gonna stick with my opinion that this is a great place to be in at my age and go for the gusto.......:brad
Any comments to the contrary?

... I had a response to a post to my face book showing my new 700F with a comment that since I was moving down a somewhat in engine power, that it was a sign of getting older....
:scratch No lack of power in your new bike. The only thing you have to do is enjoy it......Possibly post a pic in the section above. :thumb
OM

I just have to ask the question..... I had a response to a post to my face book showing my new 700F with a comment that since I was moving down a somewhat in engine power, that it was a sign of getting older..... I had to think a little about a reply, but it seems to me, that since I've never done any dirt bike or off road riding, and at 62 years young, I'm just now starting a new adventure, that it's not even close to a sign of getting older.... If I felt that way, I'd just stayed on a cruiser like all the other old fat guys tooling around on their Harley's....:dance
So, I'm gonna stick with my opinion that this is a great place to be in at my age and go for the gusto.......:brad

73 and riding 20,000 a year on my 09 F650gs. Maybe I am a little behind the 20,000 miles a year as it only has 95,000 on it now.

Riding for the SON and loving it.
Roy

Congratulations on the F700GS from an enthusiastic, new F700GS owner :clap

I just have to ask the question..... I had a response to a post to my face book showing my new 700F with a comment that since I was moving down a somewhat in engine power, that it was a sign of getting older.....

I am a year younger, I went from a 2010 Victory Vision 8 Ball to an F700GS.

I would call it "right sizing" ;)

My move to a bike with slightly less than 1/2 the displacement, with 300 less pounds was done with a lot of careful thought.

Compared to my previous bike, the F700GS;

- is much "quicker", acceleration is markedly better at all speeds
- handles better on the roads and highways
- better braking system
- has a better ride (the 8 Ball version is factory lowered and has very stiff suspension)
- with the Vario side bags, has the same luggage space as the 8 Ball
- much easier to move around and store in the garage

I explain it to my non-riding friends this way; "I had a bike that impressed people when I pulled into a coffee shop, now I have a bike that impresses me" ;)

Omega Man;......Possibly post a pic in the section above. :thumb OM[/QUOTE said:
Omega Man....Sorry, where are my manners.... In my excitement, I forgot to post photos....:whistle
Here's my new ride....

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt333/PHiggins_01_photos/DSC01022_zps43cef15f.jpg

Took her out on a back farm road today to see how she runs in gravel. Except for a few patches of deep gravel, so far. so good. And I especially like the quote from Glen B above...."I had a bike that impressed people when I pulled into a coffee shop, now I have a bike that impresses me"

Attachments

• DSC01022_zps43cef15f.jpg
    DSC01022_zps43cef15f.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 97
Sweet :thumb
They say red is the fastest color :burnout
OM

BTW, I have the same Vario cases. I made a little safety strap to hold them on- just in case :eek

Fit a Scottoiler and worry less. That, a proper chain brush, a can of WD-40 and a decent spray lube covers the bases. How often to clean is mostly a matter of how much grit sticks to your chain- rding in the wet or in blowing sand will deposit more grit than dry weather riding in clean air. The guys at webbikeworld like the brand Original (a sticky that resists flinging) and there are some dry lubes out there also. The Dupont stuff that used to be a favorite was reformulated and is now just some thin stuff that throws off easily.

Chains can fail in ways that are generally road repairable at least enough to get to a better spot if you are carrying the right tools and bits. Something to consider if you ride away from civilization.

The F650-700 bikes are a great choice. My wife rides a 650GS and easily keeps up with me when I 'm on my R12R or FJR on Montana's interstates. I had poor luck with a Scotoiler. Either too much or too little oil. Anyone who want's one for postage then PM me. You 'll need to replace some hoses.

Chain maintenance is not difficult. Just be diligent.

Omega Man....Sorry, where are my manners.... In my excitement, I forgot to post photos....:whistle
Here's my new ride....

http://i625.photobucket.com/albums/tt333/PHiggins_01_photos/DSC01022_zps43cef15f.jpg

Took her out on a back farm road today to see how she runs in gravel. Except for a few patches of deep gravel, so far. so good. And I especially like the quote from Glen B above...."I had a bike that impressed people when I pulled into a coffee shop, now I have a bike that impresses me"

I installed Race Tech gold valves with a little stronger spring and it made a big difference on the gravel roads.
I am staying away from a chain oilier as o ring chain only need the o rings lubed. I use the DuPont Chain Saver lube and getting well over 20,000 per chain. Another thing I do is spray some RainX on the fork tubes and wipe off. The bugs don't stick so hard. I have 95,000 on my 09 F658gs, and still the same fork seals with no leakage.

I've had her a week and hit my 600 mile mark yesterday, after 240 miles on back roads (country roads) and forest roads Monday.....Started feeling a little better on her after I made it across the Black River in Washington County, Mo., without dropping her in the middle.:clap Stopped by GateWay BMW to set up for her 600 mile service, and found that the tank that was ordered under warranty is in, so tomorrow, she gets both her 600 mile check-up and new tank installed.
Averaged 53 miles per gallon and refueled at 191 miles. I didn't know that the computer would start counting up miles when hitting the reserve gallon status, but found it to be a great asset, since I didn't quite know when she first lit up her reserve gas tank light. Not used to being able to accurately calculate how many miles to run-out, but with this new option, I figure I had about 25 miles left in the tank before walking.... A little too close for comfort, so I'll start looking for a gas station at 175 miles. I had hoped to get close to 60 average, but it doesn't look like that will be achievable, at least not in the winter. My past motorcycles always seem to get better mileage when it's warmer out, and expect it to creep up a little once she's fully broke in....

New F 700 gs

Hi Weschmann,
I made the same move to a smaller bike from a r1200 gsa and couldn't be happier! The only warning is I had one problem and the dealer told me after replacing the fuel injectors under warranty, NOT to use Shell Gasoline. All I know is what the service manager, mechanic and sales person told me when I towed the bike in and if I had know this before hand I would of taken heed. I only have 1300 miles on the bike now. Also they replaced the gas tank under warranty too. I hope you enjoy the smaller bike like I do
Enjoy

Little Red

Hi Weschmann,
I made the same move to a smaller bike from a r1200 gsa and couldn't be happier! The only warning is I had one problem and the dealer told me after replacing the fuel injectors under warranty, NOT to use Shell Gasoline. All I know is what the service manager, mechanic and sales person told me when I towed the bike in and if I had know this before hand I would of taken heed. I only have 1300 miles on the bike now. Also they replaced the gas tank under warranty too. I hope you enjoy the smaller bike like I do
Enjoy

Little Red

Thanks for the heads up on Shell. The tech at Gateway also mentioned that the F700 is a little picky on the type of gas used and to be sure to pick out stations that seem to have a lot of volume in order to keep as fresh a gas as possible. I have heard that Shell has some additives that are supposed to enhance engine cleaning and increase mileage, so as a guess, that may be the culprit in your issues.

Having the first snow of the season, (unusual for St. Louie to get measurable snow this early) so I'm benched for a couple of days waiting for the roads to clear up. I wonder how she would ride on the snow with some Knobbies on her? There's a picture of a 1200 GS on the most recent BMW advertisement for Christmas gifts showing her running in deep snow, so I guess it's at least plausible....

I wonder if a side car would be possible for the bike to turn her into a Ural type all weather bike:brow; I'll have to do some research on that possibility somewhere down the line......

Found a company down in Louisiana, Nola Sidecars, that says they can fix me up with a heavy duty sidecar for the 700. Now I have to make a decision on whether to pick one up this year, or wait for a little time to get completely used to the new bike before totally changing her nature....

First, I have to find her a suitable name......

Back