• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'13-'14 winter project started

Had a good day, went crazy, not quite half done, but got into it. Turned cold, a little snow, no sweat. Looks like it's possible to do, tricky with all the mounts and the exact positioning of certain stuff like the headlight grommet. Really like the way it looks.View attachment 42438

Oh, that looks good. Love the idea too, an aluminum S fairing.

Thanks indeed 898!

My dad was never too big on Christmas, he lost his faith during WWII; had to order too many of his men to do things that didn't end well for them. Christmas was almost a non-holiday in our house.

But the most meaningful holiday to him, and hence us, was Thanksgiving; thank you for surviving, thank you for friends, family, and our freedom.

Thanks indeed 898!

My dad was never too big on Christmas, he lost his faith during WWII; had to order too many of his men to do things that didn't end well for them. Christmas was almost a non-holiday in our house.

But the most meaningful holiday to him, and hence us, was Thanksgiving; thank you for surviving, thank you for friends, family, and our freedom.

"My dad was never too big on Christmas, he lost his faith during WWII;"

My dad felt the same....

the headlight hole took a few hours and still are not exactly right to my eye,

looks pretty good from this camera angle. could you fit a circular piece of 1/4" plywood or masonite as a "replacement" headlight and locate the center of it - for use by a compass? :dunno

It's first this, then that, and then, oops, forgot that and now it can't be adjusted, rats.

'98, I noticed you're using pop-rivets to hold your pieces together. Have you ever used "cleco" temporary fasteners? They're a great time savers for metal or composite fabrication, and your fitting hole doesn't get "wallered" out by drilling out a pop-rivet a couple of times. If you've been good maybe Santa will bring you some and the tool too.

HS-13.jpg
Clecos.jpg

They make them in different diameters and grip range; 1/16" dia. x 0-1/4", etc. There is no slop in the system since the pin shank expands to fit the hole when the plier is released (pin dia. is slightly smaller than the hole when the pliers are compressed).

0-1/4" - $.80
kk-1-8-extra-short-kk-0-1-4-grip-plier-operated-cleco-fasteners.jpg

The pliers are only $5-8.00

The "other" clamp in the picture are their plier-operated side-grips; < $2.00

cleco-side-grip-clamps-from-omega-technologies.jpg

See (for example): http://mrotools.com/extra-short-kk-0-1-4-grip-plier-operated-cleco-fasteners.aspx
20-piece "starter" sets on eBay and Amazon run about $20-30. > http://www.ebay.com/bhp/cleco-fasteners

May I ask a stupid question? Why are you doing this?

I am so impressed with your work and skills! But..wondering why!

jlc

Honor the gurus who went ahead and showed the way. And then remember all the volunteers and others at MOA without whom, no forum. And then remember all the metal shapers who've pounded out everything from dustbins to fenders, and welders who's skills are absolutely remarkable.

Airheads are like medicine and you don't have to see a doctor. Our forum has it all from tear downs to polishing, to solving niggling little gremlins, to planning the next route, it's great to be an airhead. If I hadn't bought an R60 back in '81, life would have been a real bore, so thanx to BMW too.

Last edited:
Honor the guides, Oak, Parkhouse, Cutter, Snobum,Porter, Glaves, and a score of others that others can mention, who went ahead and showed the way. And then remember all the volunteers and others at MOA without whom, no forum. And then remember all the metal shapers who've pounded out everything from dustbins to fenders, and welders who's skills are absolutely remarkable.

Airheads are like medicine and you don't have to see a doctor. Our forum has it all from tear downs to polishing, to solving niggling little gremlins, to planning the next route, it's great to be an airhead. If I hadn't bought an R60 back in '81, life would have been a real bore, so thanx to BMW too.

One of my chief likes of the BMW airheads was their propensity to be worked on my their owners. Unlike Honda, for example, even way back in the early 70's, which were extremely difficult to repair without a dealer. The owners of airheads were even encouraged to do their own repair work, and those you mentioned helped the average guy to be learned enough to do his own work.

I also appreciate people who bring their talents into play as well. What a great group of people to observe and learn from.

One of my chief likes of the BMW airheads was their propensity to be worked on my their owners. Unlike Honda, for example, even way back in the early 70's, which were extremely difficult to repair without a dealer. .

Yes! Especially if you couldn't count up to six! You had a hard time changing spark plugs!:D:D

Back