Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Emergency tire repair.

Since it's day three of our best excuse to stay inside weather, and since there is no more SPEED Channel with some other motorsport/watersport distraction,(Y'all remember the good ol' days,right? ) was looking for something to do ...Basketball isn't interesting for me until the Sweet 16... OK with college football, but too much stress for a lazy day! Auburn made my year, but I digress...

I was looking thru a box yesterday of stuff I got with the acquisition of the /6 . Found this Kawasaki labelled tire sealant...ran part # in Kawa site to find no current item. Figure it was from the mid 80's time frame, the last time the /6 had been plated. I had removed it from the tool tray previously and set it aside figuring it's seen it's day. Just walking in with it from near freezing shop made me carefully handle it...BOOM!

Name:  tire sealant 6.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  67.0 KB

Did a search and came up with this similar product, same 6oz compact size.

Name:  tire sealer.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  5.2 KB

Laughed at description on a V-Twin vendors site...Kawasaki Cruiser Sealant Guess you can't use it on anything else

here is a product description from another site used by many here:

Not necessarily the best way to repair a tire, but one that will get you to the next town or to a shady/protected area to do it right. Works by filling the tire with a foaming latex-like fluid that seals the hole, and will fill a tire to moderate pressure in around 20 seconds. (Bear in mind, however, that when you remove the tire for permanent repairs, it?s gonna be full of this stuff. We warned you.) Tire pressure will increase gradually as you ride. Will not work on large holes or sidewall punctures. Attached fill hose.

I carry a large can of Fix-a-Flat in the truck & Jeep for scaring away flats. Have used this stuff in the past, but usually last resort or if I am in a big hurry. Have used it to get a trailer tire home or a wheelbarrow to last another day a few times as well.Have given a can away many times to help a poor soul with no options. Have also used Slime in Mtn Bike tires with decent results from thorn punctures.

I ask folks who have used it to let me know when I change their tires...just to be aware of the possible mess. Have found it gelled up as well still flowable a few times.

Anybody carry/use this option on your bikes or have in the past?
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Then when you get to the convenience store and put your quarters in the machine the angled truck chuck won't fit onto your valve stem.
    BTDT in Valentine, Nebraska, 9 p.m. on a cool weekday evening in late September two years ago. It took me two gas stations and a convenience store before I found a chuck that'd fit.

I carry a 12v pump.
    I do too, and did then. But I hadn't tried the pump beforehand on this bike, and thus hadn't discovered that the accessory socket would be turned off by the body controller because of excessive current. That's why I ended up looking for gas stations for air. The bike didn't handle well with an underinflated rear tire.
    Last edited by dbrick; 12-08-2013 at 02:42 AM.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

Pump

I carry the Cycle Pump from Adventure Designs, along with the tire gauge that goes with it and the adapter to make it easier to deal with the location and angle of the tire valve stem. Works great and having the air pressure gauge linked makes it easy to get the exact amount of presssure that you want. It isn't cheap, but usually better quality stuff isn't. Good luck with your choice.

I carry a couple of 45 gram Genuine Innovations CO2 cartridges along with their Monster Air Chuck as a "Plan D" fix. "Plan C" is a 12v powered pump. "Plan B" is the Ride-on sealant I put in the tires when I install them. "Plan A" is a spare set of wheels with high quality new tires on them. If I am going on a long trip, I put on new tires. When I get back I run the remainder of tread out closer to home.

I have heard that CO2 permeates the tire faster than atmospheric air. I don't know if that is true or not, but if I have repaired a tire with the cartridges I usually expel it and re-inflate with a pump when I get back to to civilization.

Just for curiosity I googled for "the answer" as to CO2 leakage. A company selling an onboard tire re-fill CO2 based system(has high pressure tank & hose w/chuck) says it doesn't leak off faster yet more posts than I care to read say it does leak off fast-most comments are based on refilling bicycle tires way more often than usual. My conclusion is the bicycle tires would easily tell the story?
    Either way I don't use them.
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.

na1g
    Interesting to note the number of new cars coming without a spare tire (saves weight = better gas mileage, but mainly cheaper, I think) So they give you a can of tire sealant/inflator, or a plug kit and small compressor. Of course if the tire sidewall is damage you are just plain out of luck. So I spend (in my dreams) $40,000 for a new BMW car and I get a can of Slime? I won't complain again about roadside plugging and inflating a flat tire on my RT. I'll be in good company.

pete

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    . My conclusion is the bicycle tires would easily tell the story?
    Either way I don't use them.
    My road bicycle tires have ranged from 110PSI to 150...yes..150PSI on some Continentals...ought to hear one let go

tried every type of inner that has been marketed trying to keep the pressure in them more than a day or two.

Always used a floor pump when available...the on the bike hand pump will get you in the 120 range...and short on breath!
    Tried the C02 method for a few years, still prefer the pump.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post
    Interesting to note the number of new cars coming without a spare tire (saves weight = better gas mileage, but mainly cheaper, I think) So they give you a can of tire sealant/inflator, or a plug kit and small compressor. Of course if the tire sidewall is damage you are just plain out of luck. So I spend (in my dreams) $40,000 for a new BMW car and I get a can of Slime? I won't complain again about roadside plugging and inflating a flat tire on my RT. I'll be in good company.

pete
    Nope, BMW doesn't give you a can of slime, they provide very expensive run flat tires. Wanna guess how I know about the expensive part?
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

Quote Originally Posted by na1g View Post

pete
    I promise not to ride my soapbox stand (to long) on this but fact is my new BMW X3 has no spare,no jack,no lug wrench,no slime,no compressor-just runflat tires. I will say they are greatly improved as for handling over the 2008 version I last tried. My Cady CTS4 had the "optional spare AND! a jack AND! real tires AND! lug wrench" from Michelin. When you go to the track in SC to drive the cars at BMW plant they run real tires not run flats you drive home. Post #23 , join the crowd...
    "If I had my life to live over, I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up... I would take fewer things seriously...take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges at age 85.