Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Emergency tire repair.

Emergency tire repair.

Has anyone used the 2 canister tire repair kit ...? I have plugged a tire using the plugs... but used an electric pump... just wondering what experience anyone has had with the cannisters/cartridges for pumping up the tire...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Depends upon the size of the CO2 cartridges. 2 16 gram cartridges might give you enough air to slowly get to the nearest gas station. 2 25 gram cartridges would be much better. Or 3 16 gram cartridges. The 16g are common. In either case you still want to get to a real air supply.

I carry a pump. But the pump is in my panniers and there is always a chance that the panniers are off the bike. My emergency, always on the bike tire repair kit contains 6 cartridges --- and 3 kinds of patches, and extra RTV glue, etc.

Tire Kit

I carry a pump too and a Nealey Tire Repair Kit.
    http://www.tirerepairkit.com/whichkit.htm

[QUOTE=jeffkyle;908516]Has anyone used the 2 canister tire repair kit ...? I have plugged a tire using the plugs... but used an electric pump... just wondering what experience anyone has had with the cannisters/cartridges for pumping

I ran out of cartridges on a rainy night on a loney road. I always carry a small electric pump now.

5. 11-20-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote Originally Posted by DVEINEDER View Post
    I ran out of cartridges on a rainy night on a loney road.
    Reads like the opening line of one of Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer novels....

beemeup... I don't see a reamer in those Nealey Kits. Is there one?
    Kevin
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana
    Team Pterodactyl
    2018 Ural Gear Up, 2017 R1200GSA

Rally Rat
    Or a country song..out of cartridges on a dark lonely road - sounds like a hit!

Thanks. . Confirmed my suspicions. . I have an electric pump... was given the repair kit with cartridges. .. have used the kit a couple times. . But not used the cartridges. . So no need to carry both.. I don't want to be a second verse in that sad song..

Thanks...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
    Or a country song..out of cartridges on a dark lonely road - sounds like a hit!
    There is more to that song: The octogenarian who opened the door was wearing a red speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by DVEINEDER View Post
    There is more to that song: The octogenarian who opened the door was wearing a red speedo.
    And only spoke French.

I've used the cartridges - they worked for me. A couple of the cartridges will get you to the gas station for proper amount of air pressure. I did waste one the first time until I got the hang of it. I would suggest a trial use before actually using them in a condition of need. Mine came standard with purchase of a new CLC. I don't recall seeing them in my RT toolkit, but I might have just transferred the set over to my left-over toolkit.
    Virginia Beach
    current:16 R1200R 75 R60/6
    past: 14 R1200RT 11 R1200RT 10 R1200RT 03 R1200CLC

I carry the cartridges on the S bikes when I have no way to carry the pump kit.And pray I will not need it. They work, but not for a full tire at speeds.
    I added a cartridge holder valve from a bike shop instead of the wonky tiny hose that always seems to waste my precious air. Some of them have a valve so you can get the chuck fully on before emptying the cartridge.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

All tire repair systems should be tested before you really need them to work.

If you don't know how to plug, get a scrap tire and practice on some holes you make.

If you've got a pump, be darn sure it can fill an empty tire to pressure without overheating or blowing a fuse on your bike. There are a lot of junkers out there that will die the first time you use them - some overheat and seize before they can fill a tire.
    (A manual pump is the ultimate reliable backup and often carried by those heading for serious boonies).

Cartridges are not a great way to fix tires, nor are any of the plugs other than string plugs. If you get chance to dismount a plugged tire and put an inside patch on, that is also a good idea but I've run plugged tires until the tread wore out (but I've never tried to plug a tire when a plug was inappropriate)

Quote Originally Posted by racer7 View Post

If you've got a pump, be darn sure it can fill an empty tire to pressure without overheating or blowing a fuse on your bike. There are a lot of junkers out there that will die the first time you use them - some overheat and seize before they can fill a tire.
    (A manual pump is the ultimate reliable backup and often carried by those heading for serious boonies).
    good points...the early Hex/wedges power outlets wouldn't support a pump anyways, tripping at 3-5 amp load. All our bikes have SAE two prong leads for the pumps now.

AND...if you are using a hand pump at altitude...you better be in good shape! I have gotten dizzy on bicycles trying to inflate a 120psi tire at 9000'.
    They do make some nice compact ones that push air on both strokes...so you don't have one!
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and SABMWRA Prez

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Nealey Tire Repair Kit

The Nealey Kit has a tool for inserting the rubber strip into the tire,
    it does not have a reamer. I have an old reamer from another kit
    and carry that with me too.

After you use the first one or two cartridges finding the leak so you can plug it, the third cartridge is pretty useless to get enough pressure to even limp to the nearest air supply. Then when you get to the convenience store and put your quarters in the machine the angled truck chuck won't fit onto your valve stem.

I carry a 12v pump.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/