• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Emergency tire repair.

jeffkyle

Has anyone used the 2 canister tire repair kit ...? I have plugged a tire using the plugs... but used an electric pump... just wondering what experience anyone has had with the cannisters/cartridges for pumping up the tire...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Depends upon the size of the CO2 cartridges. 2 16 gram cartridges might give you enough air to slowly get to the nearest gas station. 2 25 gram cartridges would be much better. Or 3 16 gram cartridges. The 16g are common. In either case you still want to get to a real air supply.

I carry a pump. But the pump is in my panniers and there is always a chance that the panniers are off the bike. My emergency, always on the bike tire repair kit contains 6 cartridges --- and 3 kinds of patches, and extra RTV glue, etc. :laugh

Has anyone used the 2 canister tire repair kit ...? I have plugged a tire using the plugs... but used an electric pump... just wondering what experience anyone has had with the cannisters/cartridges for pumping

I ran out of cartridges on a rainy night on a loney road. I always carry a small electric pump now.

Thanks. . Confirmed my suspicions. . I have an electric pump... was given the repair kit with cartridges. .. have used the kit a couple times. . But not used the cartridges. . So no need to carry both.. I don't want to be a second verse in that sad song..

Thanks...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I've used the cartridges - they worked for me. A couple of the cartridges will get you to the gas station for proper amount of air pressure. I did waste one the first time until I got the hang of it. I would suggest a trial use before actually using them in a condition of need. Mine came standard with purchase of a new CLC. I don't recall seeing them in my RT toolkit, but I might have just transferred the set over to my left-over toolkit.

I carry the cartridges on the S bikes when I have no way to carry the pump kit.And pray I will not need it. They work, but not for a full tire at speeds.
I added a cartridge holder valve from a bike shop instead of the wonky tiny hose that always seems to waste my precious air. Some of them have a valve so you can get the chuck fully on before emptying the cartridge.

All tire repair systems should be tested before you really need them to work.

If you don't know how to plug, get a scrap tire and practice on some holes you make.

If you've got a pump, be darn sure it can fill an empty tire to pressure without overheating or blowing a fuse on your bike. There are a lot of junkers out there that will die the first time you use them - some overheat and seize before they can fill a tire.
(A manual pump is the ultimate reliable backup and often carried by those heading for serious boonies).

Cartridges are not a great way to fix tires, nor are any of the plugs other than string plugs. If you get chance to dismount a plugged tire and put an inside patch on, that is also a good idea but I've run plugged tires until the tread wore out (but I've never tried to plug a tire when a plug was inappropriate)

If you've got a pump, be darn sure it can fill an empty tire to pressure without overheating or blowing a fuse on your bike. There are a lot of junkers out there that will die the first time you use them - some overheat and seize before they can fill a tire.
(A manual pump is the ultimate reliable backup and often carried by those heading for serious boonies).

good points...the early Hex/wedges power outlets wouldn't support a pump anyways, tripping at 3-5 amp load. All our bikes have SAE two prong leads for the pumps now.

AND...if you are using a hand pump at altitude...you better be in good shape! I have gotten dizzy on bicycles trying to inflate a 120psi tire at 9000'.
They do make some nice compact ones that push air on both strokes...so you don't have one!:laugh:laugh:laugh

Nealey Tire Repair Kit

The Nealey Kit has a tool for inserting the rubber strip into the tire,
it does not have a reamer. I have an old reamer from another kit
and carry that with me too.

After you use the first one or two cartridges finding the leak so you can plug it, the third cartridge is pretty useless to get enough pressure to even limp to the nearest air supply. Then when you get to the convenience store and put your quarters in the machine the angled truck chuck won't fit onto your valve stem.

I carry a 12v pump.

Since it's day three of our best excuse to stay inside weather, and since there is no more SPEED Channel:banghead with some other motorsport/watersport distraction,(Y'all remember the good ol' days,right? ) was looking for something to do ...Basketball isn't interesting for me until the Sweet 16... OK with college football, but too much stress for a lazy day! Auburn made my year, but I digress...

I was looking thru a box yesterday of stuff I got with the acquisition of the /6 . Found this Kawasaki labelled tire sealant...ran part # in Kawa site to find no current item. Figure it was from the mid 80's time frame, the last time the /6 had been plated. I had removed it from the tool tray previously and set it aside figuring it's seen it's day. Just walking in with it from near freezing shop made me carefully handle it...BOOM!

tire sealant 6.jpg

Did a search and came up with this similar product, same 6oz compact size.

tire sealer.jpg

Laughed at description on a V-Twin vendors site...Kawasaki Cruiser Sealant Guess you can't use it on anything else:scratch

here is a product description from another site used by many here:

Not necessarily the best way to repair a tire, but one that will get you to the next town or to a shady/protected area to do it right. Works by filling the tire with a foaming latex-like fluid that seals the hole, and will fill a tire to moderate pressure in around 20 seconds. (Bear in mind, however, that when you remove the tire for permanent repairs, it?s gonna be full of this stuff. We warned you.) Tire pressure will increase gradually as you ride. Will not work on large holes or sidewall punctures. Attached fill hose.

I carry a large can of Fix-a-Flat in the truck & Jeep for scaring away flats. Have used this stuff in the past, but usually last resort or if I am in a big hurry. Have used it to get a trailer tire home or a wheelbarrow to last another day a few times as well.Have given a can away many times to help a poor soul with no options. Have also used Slime in Mtn Bike tires with decent results from thorn punctures.

I ask folks who have used it to let me know when I change their tires...just to be aware of the possible mess. Have found it gelled up as well still flowable a few times.

Anybody carry/use this option on your bikes or have in the past?

Then when you get to the convenience store and put your quarters in the machine the angled truck chuck won't fit onto your valve stem.

BTDT in Valentine, Nebraska, 9 p.m. on a cool weekday evening in late September two years ago. It took me two gas stations and a convenience store before I found a chuck that'd fit.

I carry a 12v pump.

I do too, and did then. But I hadn't tried the pump beforehand on this bike, and thus hadn't discovered that the accessory socket would be turned off by the body controller because of excessive current. That's why I ended up looking for gas stations for air. The bike didn't handle well with an underinflated rear tire. :banghead

Last edited:
Pump

I carry the Cycle Pump from Adventure Designs, along with the tire gauge that goes with it and the adapter to make it easier to deal with the location and angle of the tire valve stem. Works great and having the air pressure gauge linked makes it easy to get the exact amount of presssure that you want. It isn't cheap, but usually better quality stuff isn't. Good luck with your choice.

I carry a couple of 45 gram Genuine Innovations CO2 cartridges along with their Monster Air Chuck as a "Plan D" fix. "Plan C" is a 12v powered pump. "Plan B" is the Ride-on sealant I put in the tires when I install them. "Plan A" is a spare set of wheels with high quality new tires on them. If I am going on a long trip, I put on new tires. When I get back I run the remainder of tread out closer to home.

I have heard that CO2 permeates the tire faster than atmospheric air. I don't know if that is true or not, but if I have repaired a tire with the cartridges I usually expel it and re-inflate with a pump when I get back to to civilization.

Just for curiosity I googled for "the answer" as to CO2 leakage. A company selling an onboard tire re-fill CO2 based system(has high pressure tank & hose w/chuck) says it doesn't leak off faster yet more posts than I care to read say it does leak off fast-most comments are based on refilling bicycle tires way more often than usual. My conclusion is the bicycle tires would easily tell the story?:lurk
Either way I don't use them.

Back