• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Going dormant ??

I have been an on active again /off again member since the mid 1980's hence my member number 40427.

I have sold off the last of my bikes and tentatively plan to hang up my helmet and try to find another hobby other than motorcycling.

The staff at HQ has always been helpful when I reactivate my membership and pay my dues.
Thanks for that good people !!

Since I am retired and "every penny" comes in to consideration , I wondered if the BMWMOA has a program for those of us with limited funds but still have an interest in the mark to be involved, and possibly continue to receive the monthly magazine at a lower cost ??

I know that the paltry sum to keep up a membership is not a problem for most , but as I said , some of us need to watch every penny now.

I plan to give up my subscriptions to other magazines as they expire , but do like the BMWMOA magazine the best.:clap

Got a friend or club member close by? Work a deal where they'll pass it on to you when they're done viewing it. Or does your dealer get a copy...good way to spend a visit (read) while staying in the "loop".

Annie and I are both members and get two magazines. I'll be happy to have them send mine to you if it is as simple as changing the mailing address. I am concerned that it would change my address fory entire membership. If you want to pursue with the MOA HQ then go ahead and PM me if you think it can work.

Annie and I are both members and get two magazines. I'll be happy to have them send mine to you if it is as simple as changing the mailing address. I am concerned that it would change my address fory entire membership. If you want to pursue with the MOA HQ then go ahead and PM me if you think it can work.

Thanks but not necessary

ON Magazine

You don't say where you are in the Piedmont area of NC, which covers a lot of geography. I am in Chapel Hill and would be glad to give you my copies after I am finished reading them. Let me know if you want the ON. I could ride and meet you somewhere. I travel to Burlington, NC at least once a week.

I am retired too and understand the need to be frugal. I am down to one motorcycle magazine subscription (Rider) and no car magazines. When I was working, I used to have three or four of each.

Bill

Thanks Bill,

I am in Lewisville , about 10 miles west of Winston Salem.

My plan is to just let my magazine subscriptions run out and not renew, sort of like going cold turkey away from the hobby so I don't whine too much when i see the new stuff .

I am trying to come up with another hobby to replace motorcycles , one that costs less.

Started cleaning and sorting gear that i will be selling yesterday.
KRIKEY I have a small fortune invested in all that stuff.:scratch

Retired and drinking

I spend more on good scotch and beer than my membership. Reading ON while drinking scotch is a wonderful past time.

I stopped serious drinking a long time ago, still enjoy too much wine though :nono

Need to work on that :hungover

Everyone needs transportation. When you cut to basics- what you need depends on how far you need to go and under what conditions. One cheap cage and one cheap bike should pretty much cover anything for most. The total cost of the transportation package is what one needs to budget.

The incremental cost of the bike is small if you don't have to own the latest and greatest. I bought a low miles 89 Transalp recently for very low $. Even assuming its cost to run is as much as a cage, the only additional cost is that of insurance ($250/yr, approx) and of course the purchase. I can get back most of what paid for it as long as I don't turn it into scrap, and maybe even then because parts are in demand. I do my own repairs, so its parts cost only.

So it doesn't cost me all that much more to own a single bike and ride it in place of a cage as long as I don't continually buy new ones, the latest gear, ride 400 miles just for lunch regularly, etc..

However, my addiction is worse than that so I do and it does. I own 3, heading for 4, and am late in life finally getting my gear to exactly what I want. But its still way cheaper than playing with cages on tracks- would have added a lot to my net worth had I never done that but I sure don't regret it.

One's space in life shrinks with age in an unavoidable way but one should be darn sure not to take actions to do it prematurely if they are avoidable.

So it doesn't cost me all that much more to own a single bike and ride it in place of a cage as long as I don't continually buy new ones, the latest gear, ride 400 miles just for lunch regularly, etc..

I find that tires, helmets, and gear for cold and wet weather push the cost of bike ownership up. I keep my helmets for about 5 years and my 'stich was bought in '02. Gloves last me about 5 years (some more, some less) and boots that fit my skinny feet and pencil ankles are not cheap. There is exactly one manufacturer who makes one style of boot that fits my feet. I either buy that or wear something less protective.

None of that stops me from paying the price and riding the bike. Or in the case of my older bike, paying the price to keep the bike running :laugh I just don't try to fool myself by thinking I'm saving any money; I know I'm not.

An older rider may well already own enough gear to not need much, if any, new stuff for a long time and helmets go quite a while too.

Note that I assumed the cost of operating a bike and car is pretty similar- generally I thinks that's about right but there are of course extremes where its not. For example, the cost of fuel for some pig pickup will swamp the costs of any bike if the mileage isn't very low. I've got a cage that about equals my RT for fuel mileage and its tires last way way longer...

Bikes aren't about saving- they're about living..

Back