• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ride from Southern California to Alaska, one way

Hi
Got a crazy trip in my head. I live in Boston and want to travel to alaska this summer.
I keep an r80 rt at my brothers house in Redlands California. So first I want to go cross country to his house either by camper or one of my bikes I have in Boston. Then I want to ride the R80 Rt up to Alaska one way and take a cruse back to Califorina. This is where I need advice. What do I do with the bike once I get to Alaska and get on the boat home? Do I sell it, find someone to ride it back to California I don't know. Also can you take a cruse one way.
What do you think?
Thanks in advance
Brian

You could consider riding the ferry from Haines, AK to Bellingham, WA. That way the bike comes back with you. The ferry is much less luxurious then a cruise, but does go thru the inland passage. The scenery is fantastic and you will stop at three or four of the towns on the panhandle. The stops are short but some allow time for a walking tour of the town. Haines is about 300 miles from Tok, but you should be able to catch a connecting ferry from Whittier or Valdez.

Selling an R80RT in Alaska is doable. If you PM me I can give you the contact info for the AK Airmarshal who can give you some leads.

If you plan to take the ferry then you should make reservations early, especially if you want a cabin. You can camp on the deck or sleep on a recliner in a lounge. The trip from Haines to Bellingham is three nights.

You can also fly the bike to Seattle on Alaska Air. I have several friends who have done this and say it is easy and not too expensive. Go to the Alaska forum on AdvRider and ask about flying a bike and you'll get some details.

Good luck!

S. CAL to Alaska

You could consider riding the ferry from Haines, AK to Bellingham, WA. That way the bike comes back with you. The ferry is much less luxurious then a cruise, but does go thru the inland passage. The scenery is fantastic and you will stop at three or four of the towns on the panhandle. The stops are short but some allow time for a walking tour of the town. Haines is about 300 miles from Tok, but you should be able to catch a connecting ferry from Whittier or Valdez.

Selling an R80RT in Alaska is doable. If you PM me I can give you the contact info for the AK Airmarshal who can give you some leads.

If you plan to take the ferry then you should make reservations early, especially if you want a cabin. You can camp on the deck or sleep on a recliner in a lounge. The trip from Haines to Bellingham is three nights.

You can also fly the bike to Seattle on Alaska Air. I have several friends who have done this and say it is easy and not too expensive. Go to the Alaska forum on AdvRider and ask about flying a bike and you'll get some details.

Good luck!

Hi Akbeemer Thanks for the info on the ferry. That solves a few problems. I will now plan on a round trip to S Cal on the bike.
Thanks
Brian

I have a preliminary plan to ride from Ojai, Ca. to Hyder Alaska in July '14. I'll camp in National Parks, unless I can't find a spot. Going up the coast the entire way. Maybe I'll see you on the road.
2014 R1200 GS LC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back