• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Regional Road Food!

Liaison
Staff member
Tell us about the food you've found or stumbled on while on the road. Let us know what places and food you go out of your way to get back to. Some of you take pictures, too...that would be nice to see as well. Sometimes it's about the journey, sometimes it's about the destination. Heck, sometimes it's about the food! :eat :yum

Be sure to include the city and state in the post title...that makes it easy to spot something interesting, nearby, or on the way. :thumb

Here's a map that has been compiled over on Facebook showing places that others thought were worth the stop:

http://www.mapcustomizer.com/map/MOA good eats

Fort Bragg CA ~ Jennys Giant Burger

jennys giant burger...

fort bragg ca...

this place serves them up homemade fresh daily... these burgers go where only a few have gone before... a full on grenade of the motobrickoburgometer... a top 10 west coast contender...

179b30e7.jpg

6643fd96.jpg

2f40a543.jpg

4d72ed53.jpg

925a1184.jpg

still blowing up the motobrickoburgometer...

006_zps85ec8a4d.jpg

007_zpsae4b4ba5.jpg

008_zps9ab718b2.jpg

j o

A bit of a departure in substance, one of my favorite pictures from our restaurant stop at the Lobster Kettle http://www.lobsterkettle.com/ in Louisbourg, Nova Scotia during our Salty Fog Riders Rally is this one of our friend Nick and the 'Praying Lobster'. That cold water lobster is great!

IMG_1412_zpseb773269.jpg~original

Missoula Montana

Hobknob on Higgins. For five or six years now I have been making sure I route myself through Missoula at least once a year just to eat breakfast at Hobknob. They make home made corned beef hash that is simply amazing, and a bargain to boot. It's a tiny place, downtown on Higgins, a couple of blocks from the river and not to far from the university. When my daughter has been along she has ordered their homemade banana nut bread french toast and raved about it.

They open at 7:00am during the week and 8:00 on weekends. There. aren't many tables inside, and I've seen lines more than once, so get there early if you can. They are a breakfast/lunch only place and close at 4:00. I haven't been able to make it at lunch time yet, though they have an Ahi sandwich that keeps tempting me to hang around for an afternoon.

With all of the great riding in the area, Missoula is a great place to stop for a night. Just last week I was there when Hobknob opened. I enjoyed a great breakfast and then rode Lolo Pass in the cool of the morning and didn't encounter any real traffic. Hard to beat.

I-5 Exit 86, Oregon

"Heaven on Earth" - rustic bakery/restaurant in an old log-cabin-type building. Amazing food, on my list to always stop. Bonus: if you are on a motorcycle, you get one of their fantastic cinnamon rolls for free! Worth a road trip just for the food but the cinnamon roll is a major plus. My first stop there, I was riding back from a road trip to North Carolina/Georgia/East Tennessee, it was October and had been pouring rain on my for days. Wanted a good lunch, saw their small sign on the highway, and rolled in. Had the best grilled cheese sandwich and soup ever and took the cinnamon roll with me to eat that night in the motel. The next day, the sun came out, the skies cleared, and I rode home to Sequim, WA, a happy girl. Coincidence? I think not - the weather has always been perfect when I landed at the "Heaven on Earth".
Pink Wasous
2005 R1200GS

The Daily Grind in Philipsburg Montana

Philipsburg is one of those out of the way places that's worth going out of your way to visit. The Daily Grind is a great coffee shop eatery and a wonderful place to start your day with coffee and something to eat. If you are lucky you'll strike up a conversation with a local. Or maybe one of the many people who have opted out of big city life for something better in a small town. Like the fireman from Seattle and his partner who are unofficial Philipsburg boosters. Former mining town that has successfully reinvented itself.

The Porch - Ellensburg WA

Had a great meal, NY Strip and good beer at "The Porch" in Ellensburg. Lots of beers to choose from, the steak was $30 and damn fine!

Tomales Bakery in Tomales, CA is a great spot for baked goods in the morning with espresso or coffee. At lunch, they switch to pizza. Either time, buy yourself a loaf of fresh made bread.

A bit further south in Pt. Reyes Station, CA, is Brickmaiden Bread and Bakery. The tourists will all be lined up at the Bovine, but head around the corner to Brickmaiden for far superior pastries and breads.

If you're up for BBQ Oysters - and you should be, even if you don't eat raw oysters - The Marshall Store is a reliable spot for them, complete with views of Tomales Bay. A bit further up California 1 is Hog Island Oysters. At Hog Island, you're going to need a reservation, but you'll have your own picnic table on the water and a fire to BBQ your own oysters.

Further north, if you're on California 128 and riding Anderson Valley, the burger joint in the gas station at the west end of town is pretty terrific. Afterwards, get an ice cream at the gas station counter. It's the only spot in town to buy gas. If you're continuing east, you want to stop at Anderson Valley Brewing. The brewmaster has an airhead GS and you can assemble a six pack of your own out of the cooler pretty easily. If you're at the far west end, where Skaggs Springs road became Stewart's Point Road and you're back on 1, the Stewart's Point Store will sell you a great sandwich in a business that's been run by the family there for like a hundred years or so.

If you're at the north end of the Napa Valley and in Calistoga, Bella Bakery is the spot for an amazing selection of pastries and baked goods, including quiche, if you want something heartier. A bit further east on the main drag is The Sarafornian, a reliable and excellent place for breakfast. They have a reasonable amount of outdoor seating, but remember that you're in wine country, so tourist visitors might be heavy, so get there early before they wake up.

If anyone is visiting NorCal, let me know and I'm happy to share spots I know with anyone visiting. Only one thing is better than a nice road and that's a nice road with a decent meal along the way somewhere. We have plenty of bakeries and an unbelievable amount of cheese makers, grapes and the like, so a fun thing to do is assemble a lunch from various spots you've visited along the way, then sitting on a nice quiet hillside in the middle of nowhere enjoying it all.

Big favorite: Up above Fort Ross State Park where you won't see another person and have sweeping views of the Pacific Ocean, a few hundred feet below you.

The Rock & Roll Diner, Oceano, CA

If you are cruising Pacific Coast Highway, a little south of Pismo Beach there's a great little diner that's worth checking out. Standard diner fair, but built into a couple of old fashioned railroad dining cars. The food is great and not expensive, and the ambiance is really cool.

20190824_125221.jpg
20190824_132748.jpg
20190824_132824.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: lee
Back