• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Regional Road Food!

Liaison
Staff member
Tell us about the food you've found or stumbled on while on the road. Let us know what places and food you go out of your way to get back to. Some of you take pictures, too...that would be nice to see as well. Sometimes it's about the journey, sometimes it's about the destination. Heck, sometimes it's about the food! :eat :yum

Be sure to include the city and state in the post title...that makes it easy to spot something interesting, nearby, or on the way. :thumb

Here's a map that has been compiled over on Facebook showing places that others thought were worth the stop:

http://www.mapcustomizer.com/map/MOA good eats

For good "American" style food in good quantities at great prices in my area: Lexington,KY-2 locations in town- TRY Cheddars! One of our favorites! They are also in WV & a new one on I-75 at exit 41(I think this is correct but close) & a few other locations.
Some good Mexican in this area is Mt. Sterling,KY: El Rodeo; Lexington,KY: El Torro & Jalepenos. Knoxville,KY try Aubrey's -several locations.
Another local with 3 locations in KY is Cattleman's Steakhouse, new one in Mt Sterling,KY/I-64 & others on same I-road nearer to Louisville/Frankfort,KY-try chicken,steaks,ribs & super salad bar.

If you happen to be riding on the Natchez Trace Parkway a stop in Tupelo, MS @ Crossroads Rib Shack is a great spot for barbecue. Delicious pulled pork and Beef brisket. The ribs are "fall off the bone tender"
and are done with a dry rub that is so good you will not want to put any sauce on them.

Shoreline Brewery

There are many good Amish restaurants in of Michigan City, and northern Indiana. But if you want a good beer and very good food, try Shoreline in Michigan City. Very good food as well a some excellent brewed beers.
Close to Blue Chip is you want to loose your shirt too.

The Wisconsin BMW Club has club rides every riding month. The last two falls, I led a ride to Cheese factory outlets. 2013 was N/E Wisconsin, this year it was Southwest Wisconsin around the Monroe area. We always finish the ride with a stop at a local food spot. This year, it was Baumgartner's, in Monroe, known for it's Limburger cheese sandwich. A local cheese factory in that area is the only place in the U.S. that makes Limberger cheese. Needless to say, it takes a special nose for it. It is commonly referred to as "stinky-cheese", but the taste is mild.

Y'all will think this is crazy but I'm going to post it anyway. If you happen to be riding through small-town west Texas or parts of New Mexico you might happen upon a Stripes convenience store. If you see the green Laredo Taco Co. sign, and if it happens to be time for breakfast or lunch their Mexican food is excellent. They serve burritos as well as breakfast or dinner plates. This is not ordinary gas station food.

While I cannot speak for Paul's use of "y'all", my people in KS have made fun of my "acquired accent" for many years. In KY it has a name amongst locals, who call it "putting on airs"- or in my way of explanation-faking it, as in trying to be someone/something your not!
Shame on you Paul G.:blush
Seriously,I've found good homemade burritos in CO gas stations too.

Good time to ask again-who decided KY is in the midwest region on forum? They had never heard of the Mason-Dixon Line!

Pappy's Smokehouse - St. Louis, MO

Great place for BBQ on Olive St. in downtown St. Louis. Expect to stand in line for a bit. Sorry I forgot to take a picture until half way finished. Here's the remainder of my 1/2-slab of ribs.

http://www.pappyssmokehouse.com/

Pappys.jpg

Legs Inn, Cross Village MI

Incredible Polish comfort food near the north end of Michigan's Tunnel of Trees. If the weather is decent dine on the patio with a view of Lake Michigan. While waiting for your food wander around and soak up the architecture and history. The place fills up early; weekdays are best.

NE Iowa - "Gunder Burger", Irish Shanty, Gunder Iowa

Can't claim to have discovered it while riding but still think it is worth a mention.

The Irish Shanty in the northeast Iowa town/hamlet of Gunder serves a 1 pound burger called the "Gunder Burger". There are also 1/2 pound and 1/4 pound varieties. They are IMHO "worth the drive". They also make their own three bean salad, cole slaw, and onion rings. BTW they also pour a pretty good pint.

Incredible Polish comfort food near the north end of Michigan's Tunnel of Trees. If the weather is decent dine on the patio with a view of Lake Michigan. While waiting for your food wander around and soak up the architecture and history. The place fills up early; weekdays are best.

Second this recommendation!!!!
I stopped at this place on my way to Sault Ste Marie last summer. Great atmosphere and delicious polish food.

Black Angus Supper Club, Prairie du Chien, WI

This place is located in SW Wisconsin's Driftless Area, a part of the Midwest that escaped glaciation and its scouring effect. As a result, some of the best riding in the U.S. is in these parts: lightly traveled blacktop roads that wind through deep valleys and over ridges left untouched by the geological forces that made much of the Midwest as flat as a pancake.

The Black Angus is a traditional Wisconsin supper club with great steaks, a nice salad bar, an excellent wine list and, of course, brandy old-fashioneds (might want to walk to dinner). The prices are reasonable and, while the decor is more in sync with the 1980s than the early 21st Century, it's all very well maintained and spotlessly clean.

The one caution is this: as the result of some legal hijinks by a previous owner, the sign reads "The Angus," and not "The Black Angus." Maybe they'll get around to replacing it someday; I think they're more focused on the food, to be honest.

The restaurant is located on US 35/WI 18, on the south end of town, opposite the airport. A truly excellent place to eat.

Black Angus Supper Club

In early October on way to Washburn WI. we had motel reservation in Lacrosse had been looking for a supper club ( it is a thing in Wisconsin) and chose the black Angus Supper club, it was a great choice. All seats were full as their was a very large wedding party and a large birthday party so had to wait in bar area (so sad) I being the adventurous type ordered a local made beer my wife a Tom Collins many bartenders have a problem making right no problem here we were seated before a second drink was needed what came next great service a very good salad bar and a really superb steak. 5 star rating plus a couple of more. If coming from the south along the great river road stop in Dickeyville, Wisconsin (a town name that brings out the little boy in most of us) go to Dickeyville grotto really do not miss this. We did not stop but the Potosi brewery also in Dickeyville looked good.

Amazing Burgers

Full Throttle bar kind of a Harley place but very good and reasonably priced food. Pictured food in foreground the full throttle burger 12 oz hand made fresh ground beef, grilled onions,lettuce, tomato, maybe cheese. In the background the 4 oz rally burger with cheese and bacon , not in picture the large order of fries. Cost $8.50 for the 12 oz burger, about $4 for the quarter pounder ( 2 burgers 2 slices of cheese one yellow one white) and $3.00 for the fries ( lots and lots of fries)
Drinks reasonable the iced tea good the draft stag also good. They have some spectacular looking bloody Mary's but have not tried one yet. Not super fast, small kitchen stuff made when you order.
Location: on the Shipman Road between Carlinville and Shipman, not to far from Beaver Dam State Park
In Illinois about 50 miles north of St. Louis
IMG_2115.jpg

Tried to out smart apple rotation and failed, 12 oz burger on the left.

Last edited:
Great Food Reasonable Prices

In Norland, Ontario, within the Haliburton Highlands, is a great restaurant called RiverSide Pub. Always have amazing meals at this pub. Beautiful area to ride as well.
Enjoy!

Norm

Myers Grill Williamsburg Iowa

About a mile from I80. This place has never let me down. Great food and reasonable. They serve all kinds of Steaks and pasta also. they are about 1 mile south of I80 at the Williamsburg exit, look for signs.These folks are so good that they are catering the Pure Stodge Iowa Rally 6/7 to 6/10 in Middle Amana , Iowa Fri. and Sat. evening meals are Prime rib sandwich and bacon wrapped pork loin.

Only been to it once but plan to return.
Monarch Public House in Fountain City Wisconsin.
On the Mississippi River.

Irish Bar Fountain City, Wi (1).jpg

Irish Bar (1).jpg

Irish Bar Fountain City, Wi (2).jpg

Back