• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Semi-automatic shifting????? New R 1200 RT

Bud

It is what it is.
From BMW press release.

Gear Shift Assistant Pro for smooth yet quick gear changing

The BMW Gear Shift Assistant Pro, available as a factory option, represents a world first for production motorcycle manufacture. It enables upshifts and downshifts to be made without operation of the clutch or throttle valve in the proper load and rpm speed ranges while riding.

Anyone know how this works?

I could be wrong, but, I think the S1000RR has this option. You might wanna search that forum or ask over there.

I could be wrong, but, I think the S1000RR has this option. You might wanna search that forum or ask over there.

Shift assist is available on the RR and K1300S. You can upshift without the clutch, but you can't downshift.

I made a comment to my dealer after getting experience on my S1000RR, "wish they had that option (quick shifter) on my GS".

I guess now I need to consider buying this new RT.

From the BMW press release posted elsewhere on these boards:

Optional Gear Shift Assistant Pro for changing gear with virtually no interruption in power flow.

The BMW Gear Shift Assistant Pro is another world first for production motorcycle manufacture. Compared to the Gear Shift Assistant already featured on the superbike models such as the BMW S 1000 RR, the system?s functionality has been extended for use on the new R 1200 RT and adapted to the specific requirements of a touring bike. The Gear Shift Assistant Pro enables upshifts and downshifts to be made without operation of the clutch or throttle valve in the load and rev speed ranges that are of relevance to riding, both increasing comfort for the rider and providing an added touch of dynamism. The majority of gear changes can be carried out with the help of the Gear Shift Assistant ? starting off is one of the few exceptions to this.

When accelerating, the throttle valve no longer needs to be closed for gear changes, allowing the power to flow with barely any interruption. And when decelerating and shifting down a gear (throttle valve closed), automatic double-declutching is used to adjust the engine speed. Gears are engaged in the usual way with the footshift lever. Shift times are considerably faster compared to gear changes with operation of the clutch. The Gear Shift Assistant is not an automatic shift system, but rather just an aid for changing gear. When gear changes are carried out with the help of the Gear Shift Assistant, the cruise control is automatically deactivated for safety reasons.

The system works by employing a sensor on the gearbox output shaft to detect the rider?s shift request and trigger the assistance mechanism. By increasing or reducing engine torque by the required amount, the load on the powertrain is effectively eliminated to allow the shift dogs of the next gear wheel pair to intermesh in the same way as when the clutch is used. No gear shift assistance is provided when changing gear while operating the clutch, or when shifting up with the throttle valve closed (overrunning) or when decelerating. Neither will any assistance be given if the shift lever is not in its proper starting position when shifting up or down.

Assistance is available when downshifting with the throttle valve open, but this can provoke severe load change reactions, particularly in low gears. The same effect may be produced when changing down without operating the clutch while cruising at a constant speed. BMW Motorrad therefore recommends always using the clutch to change gear in these riding situations. Riders should also avoid using the Gear Shift Assistant at rev speeds close to the red line.

Back