• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cold Weather Base Layer

sloride

I need some advice from those who are using marino wool

What weight marino wool should I be looking at for temps between 0?C - 10?C .

I've worn LD comfort in warm weather how does it compare with marino wool in cold weather

Thanks

Depends on what you're layering on top. I have some nice (Stoic I think) mid weight merino bottoms I like. However, i just got some under armor 3.0 base layer bottoms that are another level above the merino. I typically put jeans over the baselayer, midweight thermal shirt and then i have my First Gear thermo onesy (120 gram poly fill) I wear over all that. Coldest it gets here in the winter are some 26-30 degree F mornings. Most of the time its mid 30s to high 40s. I have never been cold with my setup.

My outer layer is Darien pants and BMW Tourshell jacket. Tourshell has a removable liner and if I need it I have a heated jacket liner.

I'm just wondering if I need a lightweight or medium weight marino wool layer. How would the marino wool compare to the LD comfort.

Actually the winters here are mild in the sense that the cold spells are usually short lived

Todays high was 66 ?F and the low was 34 it's going down to 21 ?F Tuesday with a high of 39 ?F and be it's supposed to be back in the 60's this weekend

One or two weeks spurts of continuous cold in the dead of winter can be expected before the temps climb back up into the 40's or 50's

If I venture out in the morning I'll have a heated liner on for sure

Cant help with your current delima regarding merino wool base or the LD comfort but Im interested as well as Im looking to possibly upgrade. I can share with you what Ive done living and riding in Maine for many years well into the fall and early in the spring. My typical riding apparel for cold weather would be a long sleeve thermal shirt, widder electric vest with arm chaps, lightweight fleece top and motoport jacket with windproof/waterproof liner. I would layer bottoms similar, thermal underwear, wool socks and motoport windproof riding pants with thermal liner. I also use an Aerostitch wind triangle up under my chin down into my jacket. With this setup I can ride all day with temps in the 20's. For me, who hates being cold, the heated vest is the only option when the temps drop, I wont leave home without it.

I always wear my LDComforts and layer as the temp drops. Last weekend we had temps in the high 30's and sunshine so I went with the LDC's and Aerostich wind blocker jersey and fleece pants, Kanetsu heated vest w/sleeves and the Darien jacket and pants. Got a very nice 130 mile run!

:thumb

Back