• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New BMW Owner, Ontario, Canada

glenb

I recently joined BMWMOA.

I have been riding for 18 years, I just picked up my new F700GS on Sept. 22nd.

It is the end of the season, here, but I am REALLY looking forward to the next season :)

My last two bikes were;

2006 to 2010; Yamaha FJR1300

2010 to 2013 (Sept. 22 ;) ) Victory Vision 8 Ball

Welcome to the family Glen. We are glad to have you here.:clap

Nice intro post. We would love to see some pics of that new ride!:wave

I have to head out soon, but will try later. I am new to this forum so I don't know how challenging posting pictures is, we will find out ;)

If I am successful, the unsightly thing beside the F700GS would be me :blush: :laugh

Last edited:
Welcome Glen,
Where is ON? It is getting a bit chilly here, so we are looking forward to the pic of your bike to cheer us all up.

Holly

As far as location goes, I am in Fort Erie.

Here are some pictures.

1.) Getting ready to leave Wolf BMW, about 1:30PM, Sept. 22, 5 degrees C (I said I thought I was pulling a face in this one, but I am told its my normal face :eek: )

2.) Stop for a quick lunch at Tim's along Vetran's Memorial Pkwy

3.) Hwy 19, south of Ingersol on the way home

700 at Wolf 500 size.jpg700 at Tims 500 size.jpg700 Homebound 500 size.jpg

Welcome to the Forum, Glen! :wave

Be certain to check out the Niagara BMW Riders, the Toronto BMW Group, The Loonie-Tics of Trenton and of course, London's Forest City Motorrad Club. London hosts a rally every Victoria Weekend and Trenton hosts one every mid-August.

Thanks, my wife and I (she has a 2012 F650GS) attended our first Niagara BMW Riders breakfast last weekend, it won't be our last, for sure :)

Nice ride!!

Greetings from Espanola Ontario
Great choice of dealership. I have been dealing with WOLF for quite a few years now and I have always been happy with their service.
Great people to deal with. I am sure you will be very happy with our new ride. Welcome to the GS world.
Happy trails "........rob.

Greetings from Espanola Ontario
Thanks!

All the way from Espanola, makes my 2 and a bit hour trip to Wolf from here seem trivial ;) Its a nice run from here, up the secondary highways.

I am familiar with Espanola, from 1970 to 1994 I used to go up to that area to hunt grouse along the Massey Tote Road.

We have been very pleased with Wolf, too.

That's quite the transition from the Vision to the F800. The F800s are all very capable light weight bikes. Enjoy your travels!

Actually, an F700GS ;)

The decision to make the radical change in bikes was made after a lot of deliberation, I knew I was going to something 300 pounds lighter, with half the engine displacement.

My Vision was an 8 Ball version, which means lowered suspension which means it is stiffer, resulting in the rider feeling more road vibration.

The smaller F700GS provides me with; better ride, better handling, more acceleration, higher "fun factor"

Most things are easier to get at for maintenance/cleaning, the center stand is appreciated

Everything on the BWM works smoother and feels more refined, to me.

The luggage capacity is similar, range is similar

I really am looking forward to riding, next season :)

Always glad to welcome another Canadian to the MOA. Any plans to venture off the asphalt now that you have a GS? It's one of the best things about any GS is being able to go places you wouldn't dare go on many other bikes.

FYI, the earlier reference to the F800 was regarding the actual engine size of 798cc despite the bike's naming as F700GS. It's a common point of confusion and debate in BMW circles since the introduction of the F650GS twin (which is also has a 798cc engine). Get used to explaining it, you'll see it and hear it plenty :) But you won't care when you're out riding and enjoying it. :thumb

No off road for me, I bought the F700GS for its excellent street and Hwy characteristics. :)

It's a common point of confusion and debate in BMW circles since the introduction of the F650GS twin (which is also has a 798cc engine). Get used to explaining it, you'll see it and hear it plenty :)

Yes, that discussion will come up around here, since my wife bought a very low mileage F650GS twin, this fall. ;)

BMW dealerships are rare up here

Thanks!

All the way from Espanola, makes my 2 and a bit hour trip to Wolf from here seem trivial ;) Its a nice run from here, up the secondary highways.

I am familiar with Espanola, from 1970 to 1994 I used to go up to that area to hunt grouse along the Massey Tote Road.

We have been very pleased with Wolf, too.

Yep, the nearest dealer is 5 hrs from here in Newmarket, but I prefer to take the ferry from Manitoulin to tobermory and get to wolf and take a few extra days and make it a small 4 day tour. I am planning to go up the Tote Road on an ADV ride this coming summer.
Happy trails .....rob.

Welcome to the club!

While BMW dealerships may not be as common as other makes, there are often numerous independent shops who specialize in, or are competent in, working on BMW. There are two near me. While Wolf is an excellent dealership, there may be someone closer to you who can service your bike.

Have fun and don't forget to attend the rally next year in Minneapolis!

Gordon chutes

Will you be stopping at Gordon Chutes? We always took pictures there.

We will probably stop at Gordon chutes. I plan on going up the tote road and taking the crossover road to the west branch road and back to espanola. Will make a nice day ride. I used to spend quite a bit of time up in those parts ...bow hunting for moose.
Happy trails ....rob.

UPDATE

It is coming up on one year since I brought the F700GS home on Oct. 22, 2013, here is what I have determined;

Last fall I was trying to sort our if I would miss the large bike, or enjoy something lighter and more nimble.

I do not miss the larger bike, one tiny bit.

Yes, I REALLY enjoy the lighter and more nimble bike.

The true measure is that the F700GS makes me very happy every time I ride it and I make many more opportunities to ride than I ever did with the old, 800+ pound V twin.

I have joined the local BMW Riders group and I enjoy the "culture" of owning a BMW, it is more in line with my attitude towards motorcycling.

The F700GS will cruise the major highways at 120 km, all day and is excellent and fun on the secondary roads, only issue is it likes to run at 20 km over the limit on the secondary roads

I like the ergo's, suspension, vario's (I just have the side cases but they more usable capacity than my Vision 8 Ball had), great brakes, it is quite, the shifting is very smooth and find it is an excellent balance of size, weight, power and handling for me.

Buying the F700GS was ABSOLUTELY the right decision for me.

Back