• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New to Me 2000 RT

dogbros

After a year lurking at the BMW world and this site, I took the plunge and added a 2000 R1100RT to my garage. Thanks to Mike in PA for the professional, honest transaction and for offering me a well cared for machine. About 24,500 on the clock and in great condition, all service records and a recent 24k service done. Worth the 850 mile round trip from Michigan in the rain! Took it out on its maiden voyage here at home today; 43 degrees, but sunny. I had blast for about 60 miles before i had to return to lawn duty. After 30 years of riding Harleys this is a interesting change. I'm not giving up my past, but welcome the new adventures this bike will bring.

Looking forward to learning this new bike and meeting all you Beemer folks on the forum and on the road!

Hank

DSC01991.jpgDSC01992.jpg

Welcome to the family! :clap

Great intro post and photos.

Have 2 99 RT's in the garage and I can highly recommend them as a fine sport touring bike.

Yours is hardly ridden.:)

Looking forward to hearing more of your impressions as you get a chance to put on some miles.

Ask any and all questions you might have.

There are fantastic opinions available here. Anything you might want to know about your bike is readily shared here. It could be as simple as the oil level on the sight glass. I learn stuff here all the time and some of it is so damn simple but not very obvious. Oil level as an example. I would have thought a "full" sight glass was good. Others weighed in, that little dot in the center is pretty damn important.

These bikes make you fall in love with a really good flashlight. If my flashlight could drink beer, it would be best friend. Oh crap, I hope my girlfriend doesn't read this.

On a side note, it would be interesting to get some of your comments about the differences between this bike and your Harleys. I've owned my share of HD's but have always come back to Beemers. It certainly isn't because a Beemer is better made or that much better to ride. There are bikes way better in just about every category and I drive a good Chev Truck made in Texas and prefer that to my BMW cars.

I think my almost antique Kawasaki was the best damn thing any man ever made but it's different than my Beemer. My bike has been joined by a long list of Beemers from old thumpers through airheads, a few bricks and bricklets to my current old oilhead. You'll get the jargon and if you don't just ask. People here are eager to share.

If I knew why I keep coming back to Bikes Made Weird, I could probably figure out why I have been divorced so many times and why my girlfriend seems to be mad at me twice a week.

Hank, congrats on the new ride and welcome to the asylum. I'm owned several beemers in the past, the last being a 1990 R100RT that I sold and now look back and wonder why. After several years away from the marque I've just recently mounted the hunt for my next BMW and the choices are down to a classic airhead or an oilhead.

And I picked up on something in this post by dieselyoda. :thumb

There are fantastic opinions available here. Anything you might want to know about your bike is readily shared here. It could be as simple as the oil level on the sight glass. I learn stuff here all the time and some of it is so damn simple but not very obvious. Oil level as an example. I would have thought a "full" sight glass was good. Others weighed in, that little dot in the center is pretty damn important.

These bikes make you fall in love with a really good flashlight. If my flashlight could drink beer, it would be best friend. Oh crap, I hope my girlfriend doesn't read this.

On a side note, it would be interesting to get some of your comments about the differences between this bike and your Harleys. I've owned my share of HD's but have always come back to Beemers. It certainly isn't because a Beemer is better made or that much better to ride. There are bikes way better in just about every category and I drive a good Chev Truck made in Texas and prefer that to my BMW cars.

I think my almost antique Kawasaki was the best damn thing any man ever made but it's different than my Beemer. My bike has been joined by a long list of Beemers from old thumpers through airheads, a few bricks and bricklets to my current old oilhead. You'll get the jargon and if you don't just ask. People here are eager to share.

If I knew why I keep coming back to Bikes Made Weird, I could probably figure out why I have been divorced so many times and why my girlfriend seems to be mad at me twice a week.

Re, the highlighted text: I read that and about fell off the sofa as it reminded me of what an old beemer guy told me shortly after I got my first one.

"Riding a BMW is like sex - you'll never forget it, nothing else will satisfy you, and you'll always want to do it again." :ha

Congrats on your new to you bike and welcome here. That's a nice clean low mileage unit. I notice the Sargent seat set and looks like throttlemeister kit installed too. You're going to love that bike. :thumb

Thanks for the nice welcome. I've ridden some kind of bike for 40 years, and Harleys for the majority of the time. My current bike, a Road Glide, is an amazing ride when you want to go down the road all day in comfort, two up or otherwise. I took time to stop and talk to an RT rider at a gas station a couple years ago and ever since, I've been curious about the brand, the engine, and in particular this model. Looks to be more versatile than the big Road Glide and I'm encouraged about using it as a commuter in addition to long trips.

Plus, I just like to throw a curve every now and then to keep things interesting. Buying this bike has so far got the attention of my Harley buds who are wondering about my sanity. (I have asked them to please address me has Heinrich, not Hank, when on the Beemer).

RoadGlide.jpg

Welcome Hank!

Given that I am a psychologist by trade I can assure you that you are now truly mentally ill. You can expect the following behaviors to emerge:

1. Making up excuses to go for a ride: (Honey I've got to go to Sears to buy a flashlight just in case the other 16 we already have should fail)
2. Going for a "short" ride today and comming back tomorrow: (Geeeze honey, didn't you know that Marlboros are cheaper in New Jersey?)
3. Standing with your left foot slightly forward of your right
4. Experiencing newfound strange cravings to ride the Alps and the Autobahn
5. Buying Spaten instead of Sam Adams
6. Collecting Rondels
7. Inquiring about joining the Ironbut Association
8. Looking for backroad alternatives to interstate highways
9. Evaluating riders using the technique of how close have they come to the "chicken strip" on their tires
10. Evaluating riders by checking for road rash on the outside edges of their boots
11. Deciding that a ride down US129 would constitute a nice vacation
12. Trying German food even though most of it is gastly
Many good miles to you brother!
Will

Congrats with your new to you ride........your going to fall in love with this machine.......guaranteed !!

BTW......GREAT COLOUR

IMG_1830c.jpg

My Bride with our RT in Yellowstone by the Continental Divide

Back