• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Owners News Spine Art

Well, looks like the fun is over! :( Just noticed that the February 2022 issue has no visible spine for including art work. Strange that January did so was looking forward to the next year. February has just as many pages...hmmm. That was fun while it lasted! :wave

Next month will tell all!

Ad sales usually trend up at this time of year, it's related to the riding "season."

Maybe next month the magazine will be thick enough to be perfect-bound again.

I always liked the spine idea, Michael Cohen came up with it.

Ad sales usually trend up at this time of year, it's related to the riding "season."

Maybe next month the magazine will be thick enough to be perfect-bound again.

I always liked the spine idea, Michael Cohen came up with it.

Page count was the same, has been the same for several years now at 96. Not sure what advertising has to do with spine art, but I can ask the people in the know.

Thanks Kurt. By the way, you being a former NASA guy, I assume you would be interested to know that my last two students were NASA Astronauts, Christina Koch and Reid Wiseman.

Inverted

35CEBD36-7F0F-45A4-931D-245CE93B55F3.jpeg

This is us flying inverted… or the forums sucks at uploading iPhone photos… I’ll let you be the judge.

I think it's the latter! Something about the way iPhones internally tag their photos that is not recognized by the forum software.

I got tired of craning my neck!! Nice crew!!

RRInverted.jpg

If one can remember to take an iPhone picture in the landscape- camera lens in line with the photographers left shoulder, it helps when the picture uploads to the forum.
OM

Everyone knows that only Roy Schneider is the only one that can loop a helicopter. :eek

“catch you later”.

Page count was the same, has been the same for several years now at 96. Not sure what advertising has to do with spine art, but I can ask the people in the know.

Most likely then, the reason for center-stitching is to pull out the center spread that shows a picture of the raffle bike. You can't do that very well with a perfect-bound magazine. :dunno

Don't think there's any advertising associated with it. Here's the explanation that was provided in 2013 as to the appearance of the images on the spine:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?70871-Owners-News-Spine-Art&p=906811&viewfull=1#post906811

It's the thickness of the publication... more ads & editorial = thicker. Or... heavier-weight paper. Perfect binding requires a sufficiently thick publication. Too thin and the binding won't work. Pinch your thumb and forefinger on the left edge of a perfect-bound issue (e.g. last month's) and you will feel how it compresses. Our magazine is about as thin as you can go with perfect binding. Look how thick it was in 2014.

If the page count is the same, and the paper thickness is, too, then the reason for center-stitching is most likely to have a center spread that can be removed as a poster or keepsake.

But, you can't print an image on the binding edge of a center-stitched magazine.

attachment.php

Figured I'd put up what we have so far, minus the February issue. Also minus the October issue.

Update 12/31/22 -- New picture indicates it's the bike that bike that was on the front cover of the Jan 2022 issue. It's an '82 R100RT.

Attachments

• Spines2022 R100RT.jpg
    Spines2022 R100RT.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 65
Back