• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Possible to use '83 rear end on '74/6? Easily?

p2

Cause I have '83 R100CS parts bike with what looks like an o.k. rear drive. And looks as if my R90's is leaking more and more.
Figured if poss. to just swap with out much trouble, then I can address the leaky one at my leisure, and still be riding.

Guess the axel is probably different size off the top of my head, but haven't had a chance to check. Probably some reason too, that can't just swap out whole rear end, drive shaft, swing arm and diff. I'm betting.

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys.

p2

Two things that I wonder about. Does the shock on the final drive attach in exactly the same spot. If not then you're going to have an issue with the other side shock and dimensions. The second thing that will be an issue is the mesh of the splines. They won't match and one or both will take a beating.

It's not going to be the same gearing.

The R100 will surely be 2.91-1 and your /6 has something lower. You don't likely have the power to pull this ratio, and bike could feel sluggish.

Not certain whether a 1977 speedo is compatible, but it's the only year that looks like yours (orange pointer) and only year that style geared for 2.91.

You'll have to convert the drive for drum brake use, too.

Thanks guys.

Sorta as I suspished. Worth a shot. Think I'll just fix the leak and be done with it.

p2

Your 83 R100CS also has a rear disc brake. Your R90S has a drum. I went through this possible conversion elsewhere (1978 R100S) and after multiple advice, went against it. Biggest problem is finding a spoke wheel with disc brake.

Back