• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cardo Beware!

kthflieger

Last year I purchased a scala rider teamset from my local dealer. It was on sale and I had read reasonable reviews. I accidentally broke the driver unit and started hunting for a replacement. I found a scala Q2 and the literature implied it would pair with the teamset... Once I bought it, I found out it won't pair with much of anything and the BT connection to the phone is only capable of phone audio, no music. Called customer service and found out that they obsoleted the teamset a while ago and won't even service it. When asked why their documentation was so vague about pairing with other units he had no good answer.
So recently I picked up a Teamset Pro from the dealer in Portland OR. They assured me it was newer and cardo still backed the unit. Opened the box and discovered that contrary to the writing on the box, that unit also will not BT pair to a phone music source. that only works via hard wire. The box also says it will BT pair to GPS units. Nope...wouldn't pair to a brand new Garmin. The icing on the cake was the defective (right out of the box) passenger unit that wouldn't work at all.....
Buyer beware!

Man, go SENA, worlds ahead. I have my Q2 set in the flea market for $50 if you want a Cardo... Worked fine, but SENA is the new wave.

I have a Q2 multiset pro that have been using for a couple of years. I haven't tried to pair it to music, bur it pairs up great w/my Garmin 660lm. I would stay on the customer service department and get them involved in making the unit work for you. Once they see you won't go away, they will likely try to help you get the issues resolved

I got the Cardo Q9 set last year. Have no problem pairing with my Garmin, IPhone, the latest version of the Nano and with the the other head set. You can't BT one music devils to both to both sets at the same time.
In trying to save some money I got this through Amazon. Had a problem with one of the mic/speaker sets with Voice activation not working right. Call Cardo was told who I purchased this from was not a authorize dealer and wound not warranty this. I did buy another mic/speaker set and ended up spending what I would have set going through a local source. Lesson learn don't expect manufacture warranty when buying over the internet. I am happy with the Cadro Q9 set.

I've used 3 generations of Cardo stuff - the Q2, G-4 and G-9 and all worked with all of the Garmins I've got (4 on various bikes). The gps have music storage capability as did my former phones (retired and ditched my smart phones for a simple flip phone for voice only)- the phones could pair with the gps as well.

You are setting these up correctly? You pair the gps and phone and then the gps to the headset= the phone goes through the gps when playing music on BT. To get passable sound for music you need in ear plugs anyway.

These days I pipe no sound from the gps to my headset. It is reserved for safety and road info comms with the SO- we focus on the riding, no distractions.

Currently have 3 different com sets among my 5 helmets (don't ask).

Suomy (came from Italy with it built in already) - excellent voice and music interface, but can only be paired to another Suomy helmet.

Cardo Scala-Rider - Acceptable quality, but the unit paired to my son's helmet went belly-up way too soon. Now useless as helmet-to-helmet intercom; music quality marginal.

Sena - outstanding. The preferred system every time, be it intercom, GPS or Bluetooth music.

Man, go SENA, worlds ahead. I have my Q2 set in the flea market for $50 if you want a Cardo... Worked fine, but SENA is the new wave.

+1

Additionally SENA offers new firmware periodically that improves existing and introduces new capabilities.

We've been using a Scala Rider Teamset Pro for over 2 1/2 years now. Early on I learned that it would connect to only one outside Bluetooth item in addition to the other headset. It connects to my Zumo 220 with no issues. But every now and then it will lose the connection to the GPS or other intercom, but easy enough to remedy. I've tried hooking the phone up but would rather have the GPS. I also found from customer support that while it would do the phone's mp3 player (if the phone allowed it) through Bluetooth, that the intercom would likely interpret it as a phone call and override the intercom. They also told me that the unit did not support stereo Bluetooth. Again, not an issue for us.

At the time it was $189 on sale from a local retailer. And also at the time, the Sena was WAY more than that. But technology has moved forward and prices have come down. Right now, I'd go Sena if I were shopping. But the Scala still fits our needs.

My SENA has had a problem (have a set) have nothing but praise for their tech support. They have stood by me and fixed it no problems. I'll go again with them. $267.89 for the pair.

+1

Additionally SENA offers new firmware periodically that improves existing and introduces new capabilities.

Latest Sena SMH10 firmware V4.3 now does music sharing with driver and passenger. It also does speed dialing for your phone.

Forgot to add, that I agree with all you Sena types. I have that setup on another bike/helmet set and the Sena is much better. Glad to see that others had the same nonchalant responses from Cardo/USA. Since cardo builds the units for the integrated Schuberth system, I doubt the average German would put up with it in Germany.

Some of the older scala producs are missing the ad2p or some such that is needed to pair an iphone/music player. I have one of the older units. I bought it on ebay. When I got it one of the units would not charge. I called scala and they sent me a new one. That was a while back, it works great for intercom, music i use the etymotic headphones.

I usually ride alone, so i don't use it much. The kids like the intercom when they ride with. Nonstop talkathon.

Sorry to hear they are going the other way with service.

+1 - Sena has been outstanding - had the smh-11 for about a year of steady use

Great battery life on the SENA as well. so far it has held up in several 4hour + heavy rains.

+1

Back