• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1200 RT Top Case and no key. Help!

bmurray1

hello. I recently purchased a great '05 1200RT and the seller threw in a 28 liter BMW top case. He bought the case used and it came to him with a plastic key. He told me not to lose the key.....I just did. Any suggestions how I can replace the lock or obtain a key to open the case and place it on the bike once again? thank you very much

Buy a cylinder kit from a BMW dealer & change it to match your ignition key-if you can read the instructions then you can likely do it yourself.Done in person they can unlock it for you, then work can proceed. I've changed several "wrong keyed" used BMW OEM cases & I'm no locksmith.

A few years back I sold the top case from my RT. I wanted to supply a key to the buyer, but didn't want to give up any of my keys. I checked with my dealer who said he had a box of old keys and that I could just go through them until I found one that worked. Took me about ten minutes of trying keys. I would say it's worth asking your dealer about this possibility.

Unless you find a key that happens to fit, I think you (or the dealer) will have to drill out the present lock cylinder. Hopefully your dealer will know the drill-out technique since it's a delicate process.

thank you all for your kind replies. Good news, Ridewest BMW of Seattle changed out the cylinder and rekeyed the lock in about an hour. This after spending a couple hours at SouthSound BMW in Fife going thru a couple of buckets of old keys. I was disappointed that they did not offer, or have the ability, to change the lock mechanism and rekey the lock. Thank you once again, I appreciate the solutions you offered.

hello. I recently purchased a great '05 1200RT and the seller threw in a 28 liter BMW top case. He bought the case used and it came to him with a plastic key. He told me not to lose the key.....I just did. Any suggestions how I can replace the lock or obtain a key to open the case and place it on the bike once again? thank you very much
Hey- it got you on the forum...Welcome.
Gary

Back