• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need advice, GT or GTL?

kingpaul

Previously, I had a 2003 K 1200LT and loved it. I didn't have forward pegs mounted and knees would sometimes ache on long rides. Other than that, was a great bike. 70% of the time I was riding single, 30% was two up with my wife. Will probably continue with those percentages.

I don't quite understand the differences between the two, but I think some have to do with seat height, peg placement, and handlebar angle. When I go to local dealership, there are too many things going on to concentrate and really learn. Guidance? Experience?
Thanks. I was a member here back in 2004.

GT has higher seat, more forward bars, pegs are set further back than a GTL, so you lean forward more. I came off a Goldwing and the pegs are higher but other than that the seating is quite similar to my GTL. My longer legs are still on backorder :) so I'm stuck with the 29" inseam I've had all of my adult life. I can flatfoot the GTL. I used to have an RT which has a similar seating arrangement to a GT (height, peg position, reach) and while it was a hoot to ride, when it came time to hold the bike up at a stop I didn't have the confidence I do with the GTL. I had put pullback risers on the RT and was getting ready to lower the pegs when it was totaled by a hit/run driver - I was essentially turning the seating position into something comparable to the GTL.

I think of the K1600GT as sort of like a bigger more refined version of the K1300GT. The GTL just leans more toward the touring side of the sport touring equation than the GT and from what I understand is nothing like an LT at all.

Check out http://cycle-ergo.com/ and remember that any factory seat that fits the GTL will fit the GT. For example, I think the stock GT seat is called the low two-piece seat for the GTL and the stock GTL seat is called the low one-piece seat for the GT.

I think GTL would be for you but ride both. :). My dealer was very generous and I rode both for a couple of hours apiece.

Anyone have any experience riding 2-up on the GT? I rode the GTL this weekend and liked it, but am still going to try and get my hands on a GT to ride.

Anyone have any experience riding 2-up on the GT? I rode the GTL this weekend and liked it, but am still going to try and get my hands on a GT to ride.

What experience in particular are you looking for? I have ridden my GT about 98% 2-up. One long trip from Ohio to Maine. My passenger prefers a backrest. So, when we do not use the topcase (the RT unit, not he bulky K1600 case), I put a passenger backrest on the bike (BakUp) Takes about 5 minutes.
The bike is heavy to push and if I move it backwards while sitting on it, my wife usually gets off. I usually move the bike off the sidestand before the wife gets on it. With the ESA, the suspension adaptation for 2-up is excellent. Best handling 2-up bike I have ever had.

Mike,
Thanks for that very informative post! Exactly what I was looking for. That might have just tipped the scales for new to the GT! I'll look into the bakup as well as the RT top case! Thank you again.

I posted a picof the bike with the backrest here before. Will try to find it. Like the topcase, it is the RT part. Fits the K1600.

Back