• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Advise about Anton Anderson Memorial Tunnel in Whittier, AK

DickNCA

I am planning my ride next summer to Alaska and considering a route that would require riding through the Anton Anderson Memorial Tunnel in Whittier, Alaska. My experience with tunnels is that they can be a little scary especially if not well lit. I would appreciate any input from any of you that have ridden this tunnel. I am concerned about how long it is, the rail road tracks in the roadway, one lane and not sure about the lighting. Look forward to your comments.

Dick

In 1992 on one of my trips, we took a bus from Anchorage down, drove onto a flat car and rode the train to Whittier. In 2002, we purchased a ticket to ride the bikes through the tunnel. You wait for a green light (train does have the right a way) and then we were at the head of the line to drive through the tunnel. You ride between the tracks at a relatively low speed. Forget what the speed limit is. There are some very big fans in the tunnel to keep the air moving. On a bike you will feel them, but if you are forewarned, should not present a problem.

It is something that you need to do if time allows. It is quite an experience.

bob

We did the tunnel back in 2010. It's not as difficult as you would image. The center part, between the tracks, is wide enough to navigate without any problem, you just need to keep a steady speed and not think about it too much. The lighting in the tunnel is sufficient to see without the needing your headlight. The trick is to relax and not concentrate on the light at the end of the tunnel. It's about 2.5 miles long so takes less than 5 minutes to traverse and they space the vehicles enough so you're not being crowded.
The entire Portage Glacier Highway, of which the tunnel is part, is a neat ride, but not very long (12 miles with the tunnel). And Whittier is a neat little town (emphasis on little). Note there is a toll for the tunnel ($12 I think).

Be sure to stay aware of the schedule for the tunnel, it closes at night. If you are planning to ride out of Whittier, instead of catching the ferry, then you are in for a long night if you miss the last opening.

Back