• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Headlight Adjustment Knob (R1150RT 2004)

Bill Lumberg
Noticed headlight was tracking a little high, which was odd and unrelated to load. Reached in to adjust (dash knob was already at lowest setting), and the gray plastic nut fell off. Try as I might, I haven't been able to reattach it to the white receptacle it detached from. Advice? Bike is quite driveable, but my headlight is aimed somewhere into the wild blue yonder. Thanks.

Last edited:
I recently had my dash off to do some work which required me to remove the headlight adjustment knob. I seem to remember that the knob is not in a receptacle but is on a shaft that required me to loosen a screw to get it off.
Can you take a picture of what you have? I believe that you have something that is broke.

It's not the dash adjustment knob that fell off, but the main nut on the headlight assembly that it engages. Knob.jpg

Last edited:
That's bad, as with all BMWs, headlights are a supplier sourced item and there are NEVER any spare parts in the BMW parts system. Most problems are with bulb retention clips (not available separately) but yours is a cautionary tale as well.

I have all the parts, and this looks like a press-on item, but I'm not sure. Everything is an adventure for someone mechanically disinclined like me.

Can you retro-fit to an 1100RT?

I had an old oilhead with a Luftmeister fairing, I miss that bike.........................It had a headlight adjusting knob. I wonder if you could retro-fit an adjuster to my 1997 R1100RT?

I have all winter to try. It's snowing pretty good right now so I think the season is over.

Back