• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New from Ak

wildbill7

Hello everyone,

My name is Bill and I have been in Alaska since my parents drug me up here in1966. I have owned some sort of bike since I was 17. In 1975, I owned a water buffalo and had planned to take a road trip to what we call "outside" or "the lower 48". Instead, friends talked me into getting a BMW for the trip, so I went to the local dealer and bought a 1975 R90/6. I am glad I did. The bike ran flawlessly for that 10,000 mile trip. Anyway, I got married and started having kids and in1983 the bike sat in the back yard being neglected for the next 25 years. In 2008, a friend suggested I get it running, so I took it to the shop in the fall and it was ready by spring. I forgot how much I liked to ride. I have been gradually replacing all the rusted parts and it is now almost completely restored. Last summer I made the ride from Fairbanks to Homer. Upon getting back home I had to put a half quart of oil in the engine. I had never had to do that before. So at 85,000 miles I had the engine rebuilt and the bike still runs great. Last fall I picked up a used 2005 R1200GS. The new bike handles the dirt roads like it was made for it. I made the run to Dawson in June with the GS and plan on doing it again next year. Although the brakes and suspension on the new bike work a lot better, I think the old bike handles the twisties better. A couple years ago I joined the local airhead club, what a great bunch of guys and I have just joined the MOA.

Two weeks ago I bought a 1988 R100RT in Indiana and plan on leaving the bike outside. I am no spring chicken and in a couple years plan on becoming, what we call a "snowbird". Meaning during the colder winter months in Alaska, going south to someplace warmer. Hopefully someplace I can ride in Jan and Feb. Two weeks ago I had to put the bikes away for the winter and I am anxiously awaiting April when I can start riding again.

BB

Also welcome to the forum! Sounds like you've got the beginnings of a stable of bikes for all different kinds of riding. If you get a chance, go to the Airhead and Hex/Camhead forums and "post a pic" of your bikes. We like to look at bikes!!

Back