• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Indianapolis person found guilty in killing motorcyclist

motodan

Good news from Indiana...this one didn't get away....

http://www.wane.com/news/crime/jury-reaches-verdict-in-david-bisard-trial

I'm not like the prosecutor in this article....I'd be proud to find a guilty party guilty, regardless of his/her occupation. Hope they throw the book at him. And this article doesn't even mention the DUI he got during the interval between his accident (killing/maiming) and when this trial started. That was just last summer (when he blew a .22) in this article...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...of-reckless-homicide-dui-in-fatal-2010-crash/

Last edited:
Holy Cr..p. he was a police officer.
Make sure you understated that the difference in someone being a police officer and not being a police officer is training and a job.

As a former police officer, I can tell you for a fact that police officers do the same stupid stuff other do - including driving drunk and hurting others. There are damn fine officers out there that are justifiably more outraged about another officer doing something like this, than others are. The public has a tendency to paint group of people with a fairly broad brush and some actually think "they're all like that".

Let me assure you that they are definitely not "all like that". Every group/occupation has their share of bad apples - and those that make the same mistakes we [as a group] all do from time to time.

In my mind, it makes zero difference what a person does for a living, and all the difference what he or she does WHILE they're living.
Somebody- ANYbody, who has this type of history -let alone killing someone while wasted and driving- should pay, to the fullest extent possible.
Period.

Also, by my way of thinking, the prosecutor was dead right when he said, "there's no reason to celebrate today." And that it was a tragedy for all involved. I wholeheartedly agree.

Another [really] sad aspect of this is- even if Mr Bisard does serious jail time, there's every possibility that as soon as he can, after prison, parole, etc., he'll pick right back up where he left off with his addiction. Addiction is WAY bigger than most people realize. If you haven't been there yourself, or aren't closely related or connected to a hardcore addict, then you really cannot imagine how anything, any substance, can override all else, no matter what. Yet addiction IS that powerful. There Is only _______ (your substance here), and NOTHING else. Anyone who thinks they know otherwise, is completely delusional.

Sorry. Just my 2 cents worth.
Have a nice day.

Let me assure you that they are definitely not "all like that". Every group/occupation has their share of bad apples - and those that make the same mistakes we [as a group] all do from time to time.

I agree with the above however would you not agree that those who are there, and trained, to serve and protect the public should be held to a higher standard than those of us Joe Averages? He was on duty, fer cryin' out loud.

As a former police officer, I can tell you for a fact that police officers do the same stupid stuff other do - including driving drunk and hurting others. There are damn fine officers out there that are justifiably more outraged about another officer doing something like this, than others are. The public has a tendency to paint group of people with a fairly broad brush and some actually think "they're all like that".

I agree with the above however would you not agree that those who are there, and trained, to serve and protect the public should be held to a higher standard than those of us Joe Averages? He was on duty, fer cryin' out loud.

It's obvious that as a human, a police officer is subject to the same foibles & frailties, ups, downs, successes & failures as anyone else. Another point to note is that nobody ever makes much of a deal about the 99.9% of ANY group who, in unremarkable fashion, upholds every expectation and never screws up, or doesn't screw up so badly or publicly. The .1% is the group that creates all the buzz, that gets all the attention- media attention, often as not, and negative attention at that. SHOULD a police officer be held to any higher standard than anyone else? Should ANY public official be? Yeah, maybe we EXPECT they should. However, we might also ask that question of our entire society- of ourselves! I see things like this as merely a reflection of the bigger picture, of what is happening with people every where, on every level of our society. As it happens, most of us aren't making national news with our screw ups, no matter how egregious or devastating. If every citizen was under threat of similarly intense public scrutiny, do you suppose things would differ?

In my mind, it makes zero difference what a person does for a living, and all the difference what he or she does WHILE they're living.
Somebody- ANYbody, who has this type of history -let alone killing someone while wasted and driving- should pay, to the fullest extent possible.
Period.

Also, by my way of thinking, the prosecutor was dead right when he said, "there's no reason to celebrate today." And that it was a tragedy for all involved. I wholeheartedly agree.

Another [really] sad aspect of this is- even if Mr Bisard does serious jail time, there's every possibility that as soon as he can, after prison, parole, etc., he'll pick right back up where he left off with his addiction. Addiction is WAY bigger than most people realize. If you haven't been there yourself, or aren't closely related or connected to a hardcore addict, then you really cannot imagine how anything, any substance, can override all else, no matter what. Yet addiction IS that powerful. There Is only _______ (your substance here), and NOTHING else. Anyone who thinks they know otherwise, is completely delusional.

Have a nice day.

If they ever make caffeine illegal I will be a felon. I have give the stuff up at least 5 times.

Rod

It's obvious that as a human, a police officer is subject to the same foibles & frailties, ups, downs, successes & failures as anyone else. Another point to note is that nobody ever makes much of a deal about the 99.9% of ANY group who, in unremarkable fashion, upholds every expectation and never screws up, or doesn't screw up so badly or publicly. The .1% is the group that creates all the buzz, that gets all the attention- media attention, often as not, and negative attention at that. SHOULD a police officer be held to any higher standard than anyone else? Should ANY public official be? Yeah, maybe we EXPECT they should. However, we might also ask that question of our entire society- of ourselves! I see things like this as merely a reflection of the bigger picture, of what is happening with people every where, on every level of our society. As it happens, most of us aren't making national news with our screw ups, no matter how egregious or devastating. If every citizen was under threat of similarly intense public scrutiny, do you suppose things would differ?
Well said.

I have always believed that anyone in a public position of authority should have higher integrity, high moral character, be motivated and lead by/live to a higher standard than the average citizen. They should be the cream of the crop. We elect, hire or promote them based on that premise.

The reality is, few actually achieve that lofty standard - they're essentially the same as you, me and [look left, look right] those guys and gals sitting next to us. Some are so blatant at their disdain for their position, they flaunt it publically - Think Marion Berry and the good crack-smokin' mayor of Toronto, CA.

Last edited:
Well said.

I have always believed that anyone in a public position of authority should have higher integrity, high moral character, be motivated and lead by/live to a higher standard than the average citizen. They should be the cream of the crop. We elect, hire or promote them based on that premise.

The reality is, few actually achieve that lofty standard - they're essentially the same as you, me and [look left, look right] those guys and gals sitting next to us. Some are so blatant at their disdain for their position, they flaunt it publically - Think Marion Berry and the good crack-smokin' mayor of Toronto, CA.

This might help explain it.

Last edited by a moderator:
To help get it back on track I started the thread to say...glad to see a motorcyclist in an accident getting justice...it doesn't very often seem to happen that way.

Period.

Have a nice day.

I agree. I had an uncle that did me the favor of being a good anti-role model. Even when he had a accident while drunk, broke his back, became a paraplegic, he still drank. His brother slipped in whiskey while he was in the hospital and rehab. He drank to start the day, and he drank to end the day. He wanted the dignity to work and support his wife, which he continued to do after rehab until he got too sick from complications of paralysis. And he still drank. He never hurt anyone, and some of that was luck I am sure. Unlike the police officer he never drove when he was feeling the effects drunk. He did his "get wasted" drinking at home. He would have been legally drunk, for sure, any time he was awake. He drove better than many sober people. He was fun to fish with, and if he got wasted fishing, I got to drive him home, a big thrill. Yes, I know, driving at 12 is bad, driving with a BAC is bad. He was a good anti role model though.

I miss both him and my kind gentle aunt.

Now as a compassionate society, how do we deal with people like that. So they can work and earn a living, and not putting others at risk with their addiction? Treatment never works for some, and prison will not help either.

Rod

...Now as a compassionate society, how do we deal with people like that. So they can work and earn a living, and not putting others at risk with their addiction? Treatment never works for some, and prison will not help either.

Rod

The first step is to admit powerlessness. There are eleven [11] steps that follow and they are very effective for whatever the substance might be. Seek the Big Book.

And, unfortunately that is not about the "society" or the "we" of which you asked. It is about the individual, though.

And, unfortunately that is not about the "society" or the "we" of which you asked. It is about the individual, though.

You are absolutely correct. Its about taking personal responsibility - something sadly missing these days.

And yes, I understand that addicts and alcoholics need assistance the same as victims of cancer and other disease. The difference is victims of disease always seek help. Victims of addiction typically deny they have a problem. This police officer should have sought help.

Back