• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

500 cc Harley?

Necessary.

The H-D "Riders Edge" program (MSF-approved rider training) is BIG business for Harley.

Most states limit training motorcycles by statute to "499 cc or less." :deal

With Buell's out of the picture, they need a replacement bike - unlikely they would use a Japanese product.

The bike was as a result of H-D's move into the India market and expansion in Asia. The fact they are bringing it back to the U.S. is interesting for the reasons Kevin points out but also for how future production of sub assemblies might work out.

On the BMW front there is growing talk of BMW partners in the India market developing models that could find their way back to markets like the US.
:lurk

HD used to make 125 cc and 165 cc 2-stroke bikes back in the '50s and '60s. I think they were made by some other company and branded H-D.

My older brother had a 165 cc when I was about 10 years old that he bought used for $65 ... that was the bike that got me my first traffic ticket riding it when I was 11. Cop thought I was too short to be old enough to have a license. ;)

This is a pic of one beautifully restored:

I find it interesting and curious too, that the new HD Dark Custom 750 and 500 look almost identical. Strange marketing if you ask me. one should be very different from the other in my opinion.

The bikes also look very "Honda Shadow" like, meaning Shadows from the late 80's. Guess Harley only knows what it sees as the market. I got an email from Harley announcing their new bikes:

http://street.harley-davidson.com/?source_cd=Email_110513_Street_Announcement&camp_id=16

Too heavy

Necessary.

The H-D "Riders Edge" program (MSF-approved rider training) is BIG business for Harley.

Most states limit training motorcycles by statute to "499 cc or less." :deal

With Buell's out of the picture, they need a replacement bike - unlikely they would use a Japanese product.

In my state, a training bike must be under 500cc, weigh less than 400 pounds, and have a seat low enough to accommodate the rider. This 500 Harley weighs 480 pounds. They would have to get the state to change their rules.

Marketing-wise it's probably a good idea. Not sure how about all those guys who think an 883 Sportster is a "girl's bike".

The Bloomberg version of this story had an interesting line......

"For most of its 110-year history, Harley sold motorcycles as fast as it could to customers it knew well: wealthy, middle-aged American white men. "

Now, how can you be really "Bad-a$$" when you're a "wealthy, middle-aged American white men"? I think it will take more than a few tattoos and a dime store beanie helmet.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-04/harley-eyes-global-buyers-for-new-lightweight-bikes.html

Yeah this is no surprise, nor is it a surprise that anyone would want to capitalize on a market as big and fat as India (or China for that matter). IMO it shows strong market savvy in this regard, not to mention the entry-level & sales potential (as mentioned previously) of bringing these new bikes to the USA. No doubt the "rugged individualist/weekend pirate" types

(not that there's anything wrong with that :blush )

are gonna huff and puff...

But a whole other level and generation of people are going to be brought into the fold- thus securing brand loyalty & setting the table for future buyers of their bigger, more expensive bikes. Again, smart move. :usa

Not to say I'd ever consider one. I'm thinking Road King, MAYBE... someday. For now, I'm quite content with my BMW Sport-Tourers, and my Norton.

No doubt the "rugged individualist/weekend pirate" types

(not that there's anything wrong with that :blush )

are gonna huff and puff...

But a whole other level and generation of people are going to be brought into the fold

Oh, I can see it loud and clearly now, that new ad: "You meet the nicest people on a Harley".

BMW Riders Don't Wanna Here This, But ...

I have noticed similarities between BMW riders and Harley riders. I think their personalities are basically the same, Harley riders are fiercely loyal to their brand, have chrome and black leather and fringe. BMW riders are fiercely loyal to their brand, have electronic doo-dads and Gore-Tex. Same personality (addictive, perhaps?), just expressed differently.

I have noticed similarities between BMW riders and Harley riders. I think their personalities are basically the same, Harley riders are fiercely loyal to their brand, have chrome and black leather and fringe. BMW riders are fiercely loyal to their brand, have electronic doo-dads and Gore-Tex. Same personality (addictive, perhaps?), just expressed differently.

It was best expressed by the guy or gal said or wrote about saying to a Harley rider. "We're a lot alike except you guys dress like pirates and we dress like armadillos.

... "We're a lot alike except you guys dress like pirates and we dress like armadillos.

Yeah, wish I had said that. Do you recall where you heard it?

Another similarity noticed around here lately: more and more Harley riders are seen with regular helmets (not beanies) and full gear, some even have those "garish colors" like us BMW riders. But I believe it may have something to do with weather--as it gets colder those few Harley riders who keep riding are dressing for it. That subset of Harley riders may not be typical Harley riders.

Back