• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2014 R1200RT Press Release

Got a loaded Quartz blue one ordered.... I'll miss my 08 RT.... loved that bike. But this one seems to be a worthy replacement. With all the electronics I will be getting an extended warranty though...that is for sure. Should see it in Jan or Feb. Wahhhhoooo looking forward to it..

Congrats on the new bike ! (When it gets here :) ) Is there anything better than getting a new bike ?

Wet clutch on new RT.

I'm not so much a fan of the electronic gizmos but I like the wet clutch because a wet clutch replacement is a quick and relatively inexpensive repair that most backyard mechanics can do in an hour or two (if it is like a typical wet clutch).

I've known of the coming disappearance of air cooled engines for some time.
A few months ago I took the new water boxer GS for a road test in order to see how the next RT may feel with the new and improved engine...
The power of the new motor is awesome! But, nothing more...
The wet clutch on that bike (with 800 miles on it) was terrible (even worse than on current K bikes) - would not fully disengage the engine and every attempt to put it into first gear was accompanied with huge bang and clunk to the extent that it became a deciding point on purchasing 2013 RT with the dry single plate clutch.
As far as maintenance, I've never had to do any work to my clutches in a number of years. So for me, this not of any advantage.

Last edited:
Well, I love all you early adopters, beta testers or whatever you guys call yourselves and look forward to hearing how you farkle the things to make up for factory shortcomings, what works and what breaks, etc.
I must say I find the added weight a big negative. Not getting any younger and have already put 2 lighter bikes in the fleet. The current RT is top heavy but manageable and how one offsets 35 extra lbs is not yet known. I rejected the 6 mostly because of weight and complication and partly because its seriously ugly- as ugly as a cruiser.
Takes more than a motor to make a good bike.

Anyone know whether this bike shields those soft aluminum rads that the GS and I assume this one also uses. Steel and brass survive hits a whole lot better than aluminum.

Well, I love all you early adopters, beta testers or whatever you guys call yourselves and look forward to hearing how you farkle the things to make up for factory shortcomings, what works and what breaks, etc.
I must say I find the added weight a big negative. Not getting any younger and have already put 2 lighter bikes in the fleet. The current RT is top heavy but manageable and how one offsets 35 extra lbs is not yet known. I rejected the 6 mostly because of weight and complication and partly because its seriously ugly- as ugly as a cruiser.

Anyone know whether this bike shields those soft aluminum rads that the GS and I assume this one also uses. Steel and brass survive hits a whole lot better than aluminum.

BMW uses unobtanium, don't you know? It has magical properties and so long as if you just believe, it'll deflect debris the size of ayers rock. :eek :uhoh

I really dislike the addition of the water system to the bike. I'll take the good old reliable oil cooled version. One of my favorite things about my bike is to not have to worry about coolant.

That said, I don't think the new bike looks bad. The front headlights have led me to call it "The Angry Owl" though.

AFIK the hill assist was a feature of a 50s era Studebaker also. It amounted to a steel ball in the master cylinder that would roll back and block the fluid port when the vehicle was tilted up in front.

Still waiting on the official U.S. pricing info to come out. Spoke to the dealer today and they're going within the next couple weeks.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Looking at the BMW financing page, it shows the 2014 RT with a base price of $20,xxx whereas the 2013 has a base price of $17,xxx. So I think it's a bit more expensive.

Is it just me or isn't this whole thread in the wrong section? The 2014 R1200RT is a "Wethead", isn't it?

Last edited:
That link doesn't seem to be working for me. If that's the base price, that would be a show stopper for me. Fully loaded at that price would be ok. Maybe that's why BMW hasn't announced pricing for the U.S. market yet.

Base on Canada site is $20,850. Either A&S is guessing or using a Canadian "pretty much loaded" price on their web site...which makes no sense. Perhaps someone at A&S cut/pasted some Canadian info and didn't notice the price was there? Wasn't the US 2013 model fully loaded around $22,000?

I tend to agree with that. Typically, U.S. prices are a little less than Canadian prices. I sent mail to A&S and asked about their price listed on the website. Let's see what they say.

Placed a deposit last week

I placed a deposit on the 2014 R1200RT last week. I think I'm in the right situation to do that. I have a 2005 R1200RT now so there are a significant number of upgrades that make it worth the switch. I'm Lucky #7.

Bob's BMW had this information to share with me, but all told, it's failry generic:
- They'll get official pricing from BMW in January (Yes, that is vague). They will then call me to go over base and options pricing, and pick what I want (color/options, etc).
- They have no reason to believe that the cost will increase dramatically over the 2013 RT. The fact that the 2013 GS went down in proce is a good sign that the new motor didn't bring with it increased R&D costs that are transfered to the consumer. Additionally, Bobs told me that the pre pricing on the R Nine was 17 something, but then went on sale for 15 something. Also a good sign that the price might actually decrease on the base model (which you will never be able to buy because no one in their right mind gets the base package...)
- Of the items on the options list (like central locking, LED hedlight Halo, etc.) they are still unsure if it will be completely ala cart, or lumped into packages (like the "Tecnnology" package, or the "Audio" Package), or a combination of the two.
- Finally, the dealer though it was Highly Realistic that I could get a fully loaded RT, Tax Title License, out the door for 23-24K, and that's what they are hoping for...

Anyhow, not really any groundbreaking information, but I did get it from the horses mouth, and I'll bet (I know I know... everyone has heard a sad story before...) Bobs would rather over estimate price early and surprise me with a lower price, than shoot low and have me feel duped; cause I'll just get my deposit back and wait till they sell their demo bike 4-5 months later.

I'll check back in after they call me and dish the details.

Back