• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2014 R1200RT Press Release

The engine should be a step forward, but I personally don't care for the elongated center headlight. Note they went back to the more integrated (all black) brake reservoirs. Perhaps more chances for electrical glitches? Those marketing girls and boys sure know how to pen flowery words ;) Guessing at price....ad price should be about $17,995.00.....with options, that 90% of people would want and shipping, say around $23,285.00 and if you want the full boat $24,482.00. Just guessing. Oh, and oil filters will stay same price, but new handlebars for those who want to reduce the reach, will be $873.23 (aftermarket).

maybe i should've waited to by my RT......nope...will trade her in when she reaches 100K miles....at the rate i am going (10k miles in 4months) that wont be too long....and the bugs should be worked out by then....i'll give it a couple of years...

nice press release though....:)

love my RT.....

Well there is certainly a lot to like in the spec-many of the complaints about previous models have seen changes though it remains to be seen how effective they are (eg mirrors, screen glare angle, etc etc) No doubt the usual accessories will still be needed for individualized comfort.

The lowered seat raises the issue of knee angles and ability to lower pegs if wished without dragging metal. Reach to bars is most always an issue on BMWs so ability to relocate without big $ remains to be seen.

I have never been a fan of any German ASC or any type of skid control I've ever seen and I've been a track instructor including BMW and Merc car clubs for a long time. They are nanny intrusive without exception so far. And I've never encountered a real need for such on a street machine of any type though I recognize some folks like this stuff. The fact that ASC cannot be switched off in any mode, even Dynamic, is a clear negative to me and the idea that one has purchase that option to even get close to getting rid of it without cutting wires is equally unappealing. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised by the new bike.

Hill Control should appeal to noobs and infrequent riders though the new clutch type won't stink up the road if you slip it a bit, unlike the old one.

Not sure what to make of the new cases yet but they should be a bit better.

Am very skeptical of the stated reason for the increased centrifugal masses- I rather suspect this has been done to address some identified problem with the GS rather than just for improved smoothness- but I'd sure like to be wrong about that. The gearing and power curve changes sound like an improvement- all prior boxers from oilheads on badly need low end fueling improvements to correct power curve flat spots and the torque curve widened. Finally after many years of these bikes being on the market a simple device exists to fix it for past models- the AF-XiED sold by Beemer Boneyard. It would be nice not to have to think about that with the new model. Hope they have got it better than previous. (There is a big difference between a machine that runs smoothly and one that runs smoothly with optimal performance)

The designs seems to promise the maintenance and repair improvements of the wethead GS- that's all good.

Looks like since they couldn't do it in the last big war are still trying to kill us all but with dull colored bikes invisible in all but perfect light. We've got a grayish shade of blue, a grayish shade of black and of course pure gray. Last time I was there, fun drunks still showed up in Germany periodically- is their normal soul really all gray, conformist, and boring? At least in Bavaria it didn't seem to be...Yuck to the color range, not bad individually but there's not 5% difference between them all. This is the bike equivalent of "They all look alike to me".

I won't be first couple years buyer but will test ride. My 06 K1200GT has shown me all I ever want to learn about how badly the factory gets some things, sometimes, in their intro despite good intentions. Hope this one is glitch free enough that it is an obvious choice as my 08 RT ages out. Switches that work without ice water would be a great start to improving on other recent stuff. (Electrical stupidity is not unique to BMW- my VW is in the shop today for the 3rd attempt at fixing a dead low beam and is getting a redesigned bulb holder that cannot keep an electrical contact- the original only has to grab onto the bulb prongs and make two contacts in the headlight housing yet - no moving parts -couldn't even do that)

There needs to be adequate factory shielding on the rads- the GS rads are way too big and exposed to expect they'll be OK without something on them and the overpriced German aftermarket accessory shields should not be needed. I've got an 89 Honda Transalp that has 2 layers of protection in front of its rads from the factory and you would have to basically destroy the bike to wreck a rad. There is no mystery about how to protect them and it should not be an aftermarket option.

And of course many of us will be looking to see if ALL of the defects of the previous fuel containment and delivery system have been permanently fixed- from the fpc to the cracking female flanges and plastic male fittings that crack too easily, etc..At least it seems reasonably certain that EWS problems won't reappear any time soon..

I'll give BMW credit for doing Harley one better on performance add-ons. Harley sells replacements parts that increase the performance of the bike. BMW figured they could increase the profit margin by selling you a performance option that sounds like it is basically another setting for the electronics. I wonder if somebody will figure out a hack to enable "Ride Mode Pro."

The optional Ride Mode Pro, meanwhile, includes the additional riding mode ?Dynamic? plus the Hill Start Control function. The sporty side of the new BMW R 1200 RT can be experienced to the fullest in ?Dynamic? mode. Instant throttle response, restrained intervention from the ASC and ABS and a firm damping set-up for the Dynamic ESA (when equipped as a factory option) let the bike unleash its full performance potential.

How does "Hill Start Control" work ?
Maybe the looks will grow on me, but as of now I still like my 05 RT better. Can't wait to test ride the new RT tho.

One magazine, I believe Rider, noted some unpleasant vibrations around 4k rpm with the new GS. This I'm sure would be totally unacceptable to long-time RT riders. I asked about it in a previous post in the Wetheads section, but got little response. IMHO probably the best single feature of boxers is their wonderful feel, which I refer to as massage. I know I haven't considered a BMW K for a nanosecond since the vibrating buzz bomb disasters that were the original versions. Given the volume of verbiage regarding vibration in the press release, I suspect this is what it's about.

Kent. thanks for that info.

Another reason to not rush into this model is waiting for it to be supported in the GS-911 or whatever its update is called. Many of us live too far from dealerships to want to depend on dealership computers for routine service resets. Doesn't matter so much if your dealer is a few miles away and either doesn't charge or charges minimally for service resets.

I suspect Hill Start Control is going to introduce another possible failure prone electrical device and as a long time rider I can't get very excited about it. Even on NC steepest hills in the mountains it's only a modest nuisance to slip the existing clutch a little. Somehow one has to maintain the brake and coordinate its release with clutch use and throttle application- so something is obviously going to be automated control with some sort of relay and or motor circuit because you can't do it with just the parts on prior models. At least the failure of it isn't likely to leave you stranded unless its design somehow compromises use of normal controls.

Last edited:
I was hoping for 145HP...

As far as the Gear shift assist my 2009 BMW boxer has a quick shifter, glad to see in 2014 the RT finally gets one :D:D:D

I look forward to taking it for a test ride to compare it to my 09RT

-JT

Love the looks and against my own initial intention, I will be one of the early adopters.
Already talked to my local Vendor.
Worse case scenario, if the changeover is too big, I will end up with a demo model.
The only none compromise is that it will be a fully decked out bike or none.

Looks really nice, but not sure if it'll be worth the new price for me. May move up to a camhead or at least a newer hexhead.

No doubt this new machine will end up being a very competitive and profitable one for BMW. However, I'd rather wait till model year two or three before considering a purchase. For me, BMW has too many new model "issues" and seems to take longer to correct (if they ever do) them than what I'd expect or like. It can be a frustrating experience, especially when one considers the "premium" cost of these units. That frustration is enhanced for many buyers who assume the premium paid to own a BMW is going to state-of-the-art R&D. I've been stung a few times too many: valve recession ordeal (older R), K (K75S) bikes that smoked like mosquito sprayers on start up (think it took 4 or 5 years to "pin" the oil rings), EWS antenna rings (couple of years, no recall...just wait till you're stranded then call for a tow) and some still ongoing frustrations...fuel strips, final drive units, fuel controllers and on. Yes, like the engineering attempts and exclusivity, but dread being a Beta site.

Maybe it's just me - but two up looks rather cramped on this model.

I was thinking the same thing, in spite of their claims that it is lower and more room. Go figure. The real bummer is the fixed nature of the bars. What were they thinking?

Going through the photo gallery, it looks like the switchgear and instrument cluster are identical to those on the K1600. And what's with the power port on the right side of the fairing instead of the left like it should be? Looks like a sweet ride, though.

Back