• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Older threads...

jopars

K'nothead
Anybody got any idea what gives?

I am attempting to append an old thread of mine, but find I can't go back in "Campfire" more than a month. Not only can I not see any older threads, I can't even search the forum for them (kinda makes the whole search concept a non-starter IMO).

Any help gratefully appreciated.

JP

Anybody got any idea what gives?

I am attempting to append an old thread of mine, but find I can't go back in "Campfire" more than a month. Not only can I not see any older threads, I can't even search the forum for them (kinda makes the whole search concept a non-starter IMO).

Any help gratefully appreciated.

JP
Have you taken a scroll-down to the bottom of the page.....to display options???
Once there you can go back to "the beginning" 2003.
You have to be in Campfire or the forum your thread of interest is located in.
OM

To expand this a bit, the settings for the date cutoff as well as number of posts to display per page is typically set as a default. You can change that by going to Settings in the upper right and choose General Settings on the left. If you choose the maximum settings, it might mean your page will load a bit slower since it has to download more data. Most people use the default settings but when they're looking for something older, use the features that Gary describes to temporarily change the display.

Alternatively, if you remember some key features of your thread, you can used the advance search feature in the Campfire forum only and find it that way. You can even limit the search to your username.

More improvements

stupidly I went and clicked on the whatever in the lower bottom of the screen and tried whatever, and now the format of my screen pops up with something labeled v bulletin. And I can't get rid of it. It's like our website is constantly being down graded for its members. Couple years back it worked real good, posting pics whatever. And every few months it gets improved but only for those who can figure out HTH it works. Click here, tap there, attach this or that, search out indecipherable nooks and crannies. KIS, airheads comes to mind. Some of us don't know the first thing about how computers operate or have the interest to figure out how web doesn't operate from one change to the next. Now I'll have to figure out how to get rid of something labeled vbulletin, which I don't want to look at.

You should be able to change that back...you might have to log out and then log back in to do it. I take it you changed the style in the extreme lower left?
While I understand your frustration, it's not the forum that changes , it's the VB software package and here at the mod team we spend an amazing ammount of time trying to keep things running as smooth as it can within the operating parameters of the software.
HTH Gary

Fixed, I think, by clicking on something that looked like a spyglass. Not that it was broken, just weird looking. Another topic related, not baited, change in our era appears to be morphing into the antithesis of Luddism, i.e., progress in technology, whether in the design of motorcycles or the upgrading of websites, appears to use technical change, in some cases, to create more needless work. Does that make sense?

Maybe it could called a reverse curve of technical progress wherein curve reduction in labor is reversed when change marches ever upward. How many computers are there on a new water head? Interrelated, systems cross pollinating, the battery loses a bit of its charge, vooella, brakes don't work?, but headlights are blinking? It could even be said that as people get smarter, no one can comprehend their meaning. Gotta get outside and finish yard work as we are scheduled for a winter storm.

I think Gary has the right approach. Either navigate away from the forum and come back or try logging out and back in. I checked 8ninety8's profile and it seems that the choice for "Forum Default" is listed, which is essentially the same for everyone. Refreshing your login should do the trick.

Cheers Folks;

Thanks for the prompt responses everyone. I figured it was something simple that I didn't get, but I definitely can relate to 8ninety8's points... not just about the dizzying pace of tech, but also the arrival of winter conditions.
:ca:bluduh

This is also no negative comment on the site and its admin. I follow a few fora, and this is place is "peace and order" in comparison.
:thumb

JP

Back