• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Did you see the new poll on the forum?

Not sure that is correct, at least for me. I manually erase cookies and browsing history each time I use the Internet (yeah, call me paranoid but they really are out to get me) so I always have to login each time whether or not I select the "remember me" box. But I consider it an extra moment well spent for the benefit it gives me of no ads and spam.
:thumb Keeping track of what goes on in/on with your computer is a good thing. "Just because your paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you".
OM

Why don"t you simply restrict the forum to members only? Not logged in. No viewing, period.

Oh, no, definitely not. No, no, no.

The forum's countless pages showing up in Google search results are a huge free promotional tool for the MOA, not to mention a real service for non-members with BMWs -- all of whom are potential members!

I guess I would like to add my 2 Cents worth.

I now always log on as a member user because NOW the site recognizes me without having to Log on each time (it didn't always recognize me, even though I followed the proper procedure for it to do so). It didn't always re-log on, and when then happened, I would look as much as I could and get off. In other words, if it couldn't remember who I was, I gave up, got out of the site, and got frustrated. I think that if I have to log on each time I wouldn't visit much at all, maybe quit altogether.

However, I want to expand a little. I think the BMWMOA really needs to offer more if it expects people to stay on as a member (whether they are remembered or not by this site). As it is, the only benefit I see is being able to visit this site to communicate with other members who may be able to give help on particular problems, particularly repair issues. Without this site, I don't see much, if any, benefit in membership at all. I say all this to say that the Organization better take a look at more than just this site, because this site may be the only reason some of us are in the MOA anyway. The magazine is OK but only barely adequate as a magazine. The Anonymous book didn't arrive for me until some 3-4 month's time after I re-joined (I was a member some 25 years ago and sold both my BMW's and let my membership lapse) and it is only marginally helpful. The Anonymous book SHOULD be incorporated into this web site, so anyone can look up any person/location/service from anywhere simply by logging onto the internet and getting the information. Save a few trees.

I am wondering. After all the hype, really, what other benefits are there to membership? Buying a few BMWMOA monogrammed hats?

Basically, the internet is making joining the BMWMOA dispensable. Answers to repair questions can be had through other sources. The BMWMOA really needs to, look into ways to keep membership up (and attract newer members) in the future or else, the whole organization could fail.

This is one of the most useful post I have ever read on this forum. Why do I say that? Because MOA leadership has recognized that whatever we do, it should either retain current members or recruit new members.

Part of this is driven by changes in technology. I've repeatedly asked this question: If we were to start the MOA today, what would it look like?

W/O causing current members to drop their membership we have to attract folks who have a different idea about what member benefits would be of value to them.

It takes at least 10 years for a membership organization to die. So if we do nothing, we are headed that way.

But I'm convinced the Ex Dir and the BOD are aware of the problems and seeking answers/ideas to address these issues.

As an aside, there are efforts in the works to make the ON available electronically on a variety of platforms.

As to the ON, it is all reader contributed. If the magazine has nothing of interest for you, submit an article on something that does interest you and you might be surprised that others are interested as well.

And in the interest of transparency, I am a Lifetime Member and therefore invested is seeing the MOA continue well into the future.

sibud & jimmylee --

To the point you raise about "why be a member" -- I'm a new member, just in my second year. There's only one single, solitary reason I joined: roadside assistance.

That said, I very much appreciate having forum posting access. I wouldn't continue my membership only for forum access if the roadside assistance were, hypothetically, to be discontinued. But, I do find the level of technical information and experience here to be generally a cut above the other forums. And the forums are a reason for me to choose BMWMOA over other motorcycling organizations that also offer a roadside assistance package.

Jimmy -

The MOA homepage and the Flea Market are separate pieces of software as related to the forum. Yes, that problem with the other areas existed for quite a while but the office was able to finally set the right parameters so the "Remember Me" feature worked.

It still doesn't remember me in the Flea Market.
Using Windows 7 with Chrome, Firefox and IE.

It still doesn't remember me in the Flea Market.
Using Windows 7 with Chrome, Firefox and IE.

What about the MOA homepage? Does it happen on every computer you use to get to the website? I have to say this would be a local problem to you...I can't imagine what the FM/homepage is doing to single you out specifically. Sorry. :confused: For persistent problems and if it bothers you enough, you should call Jeff in the office.

What about the MOA homepage? Does it happen on every computer you use to get to the website? I have to say this would be a local problem to you...I can't imagine what the FM/homepage is doing to single you out specifically. Sorry. :confused: For persistent problems and if it bothers you enough, you should call Jeff in the office.

It's very rare that I visit the homepage, so I have not noticed if it remembers me.
I've been working out of State quite a bit this year and that may be my problem. I took it for granted everyone was still having the login problem.
I'm almost done with my work detail and will check the site when I return home.
the FleaMarket problem does not bother me. I can view the ads and see the description without loginng in.

Oh, no, definitely not. No, no, no.

The forum's countless pages showing up in Google search results are a huge free promotional tool for the MOA, not to mention a real service for non-members with BMWs -- all of whom are potential members!

One of things that amuses me on this and similar forums is the number of times someone writes in that some vendor has given them a free replacement for something that malfunctioned or broke. The conclusion is always that free = good customer service.

Kind of like your viewpoint.

Be interested in what besides gratitude for something free would motivate someone to join up.

Interesting thing is the club makes lots of money selling advertising in the magazine but $0 for hosting this forum. You think the free forum sells memberships, I think it dilutes club revenues.

Sounds like a survey is in order.

Full disclosure: I'm also of the opinion that BMW bashing and posting about new Harleys should be banned from this forum. Really none of that in the magazine, thankfully.

Jimmy -

The MOA homepage and the Flea Market are separate pieces of software as related to the forum. Yes, that problem with the other areas existed for quite a while but the office was able to finally set the right parameters so the "Remember Me" feature worked.

I just found out today, that when I get on the MOA website (it "remembers" me) and I click on the "Inbox" (or some such, I cant exactly remember) the site directs me to the FORUM page! I'm still logged in, but I had wanted to go to my mailbox!

Perhaps they hired the same team of Internet experts that put the Obamacare page together! --- Just joking!!

... I'm also of the opinion that BMW bashing and posting about new Harleys should be banned from this forum ...

Chris, guess I would cancel your vote on this issue, at least in folders labeled as "general discussion" or something similar. While I have seen little "BMW bashing" and only a small amount of Harley talk on this forum, I am in favor of allowing a reasonable amount of both. I like to discuss motorcycles of any and all types, and even more, I enjoy discussing motorcycling--which is entirely non-brand specific. Many Internet forums, like this one, are weighted toward a specific brand of bike (Harley, Honda, BMW, whatever), but thankfully they allow a fair discussion of all bikes.

I just found out today, that when I get on the MOA website (it "remembers" me) and I click on the "Inbox" (or some such, I cant exactly remember) the site directs me to the FORUM page! I'm still logged in, but I had wanted to go to my mailbox!
There is no intuition with computers or software. If you were not on the forum when you wanted to read a private message that is in your "in box", as the private message system is contained in the forum software package, you would have to be on the forum to access that feature. If I understood your question correctly, everything sounds OK.
OM

I just did what you said (actually, it's "My Inbox") and it does take you to the forum. I don't think that's right. I'll get with Jeff tomorrow.

It's very rare that I visit the homepage, so I have not noticed if it remembers me.
I've been working out of State quite a bit this year and that may be my problem. I took it for granted everyone was still having the login problem.
I'm almost done with my work detail and will check the site when I return home.
the FleaMarket problem does not bother me. I can view the ads and see the description without logging in.

I'm back home now, and I see IE8 remembers me when I look at the Fleamarket. Using IE8 at home the ad descriptions disappears when I click on the ad.
I realize the Fleamarket is separate from the forum and you can't correct the problem, but thought you might want to know that all the problems with the Fleamarket have not been corrected.

BTW, when I click on an ad using Chrome, I see the full description.

I realize the Fleamarket is separate from the forum and you can't correct the problem, but thought you might want to know that all the problems with the Fleamarket have not been corrected.

That's pretty strange, Lee. I'm running IE9 at work and have never had an issue. All that stuff is over my head, but I wouldn't think whatever they fixed is browser dependent...I'm sure some things are, but didn't think something like this was. I can make some inquiries, but I don't know there's any solution to this. :dunno

I'm looking for the box that says "I log-in every time but have to log-in even though I've checked the "remember me" box. It never remembers me :dunno

pete

Pete, I had the same issue. I am using Firefox. A few minutes ago I used tools/options/advanced/cached web content, and hit the "clear now" button. The cache had been maxed out. I just got back into the forum automatically, so this worked for me.

Harry

That's pretty strange, Lee. I'm running IE9 at work and have never had an issue. All that stuff is over my head, but I wouldn't think whatever they fixed is browser dependent...I'm sure some things are, but didn't think something like this was. I can make some inquiries, but I don't know there's any solution to this. :dunno

I have IE11 (just came out last week) and it works fine as it did on IE10.

I don't think the problem is browser specific. It's more of a problem of getting old "stored" information out of the browser that is causing you trouble.
OM

Lee -

If at all possible, you really should move ahead to at least IE9...as mentioned IE11 is out. Webpages are indeed written for some of the more prevalent browsers and thus some features might not work properly the farther out you get. I wouldn't make the jump all the way to IE11 but do one at a time over a period of 6 months or so.

Back