• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Whole Body Vibration = Prostate Issues?

kantuckid

I just read a piece in my newspaper(yep, this old guy still reads a paper/paper & no , I don't have prostate issues) about a study wherein they found the one large consistency amongst the study group of men with prostate problems was that truck drivers are far more likely to develop prostate issues. Can we translate that to MC riders? Maybe worse for Harley jocks than BMW's?:)

I just read a piece in my newspaper(yep, this old guy still reads a paper/paper & no , I don't have prostate issues) about a study wherein they found the one large consistency amongst the study group of men with prostate problems was that truck drivers are far more likely to develop prostate issues. Can we translate that to MC riders? Maybe worse for Harley jocks than BMW's?:)

I have heard that there may be a connection between prostate problems and prolonged sitting? But why would the Harley guys have a worse problem ? I just recently heard that bicyclist may also be in the higher % group for developing problems ? something having to do with the narrow pressure point.

Personally,..I don't think they know[with any real accuracy] what causes what...they rail against cigarette smoking as it causes lung cancer & other problems. Yet I [just] read that some 60% of lung cancer victims never smoked !...go figure.

My! diagnosis is....life causes health problems,..everyone we dodge is a stroke of good luck !...and each one we must deal with is....well you know..

At least, I'd assume, the trucker isn't sitting on this time "bomb". http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/archive/index.php/t-371104.html

Assume there are numerous studies out there comparing groups who stand while they work to those who sit all day (less prostate pressure naturally). Too bad there aren't some 1870 studies on cowboys and their prostate morbidity rates...have to imagine they were pretty high. Makes one wonder if the 1870 American Indian had more prostate morbidity than cowboys...you know, saddles vs. no saddles. I'm also interested in the orgasm rates for male/female between Harley riders and BMW riders. Certainly there's an ongoing study regarding this, no doubt underwritten by the company who'll use it in their marketing. As you can tell, I love studies, especially ones done by experts. What's neat about them...5-20 years later a new study has opposite results. Gives newspapers something to print between the ads.

Wonder if they considered that truck drivers are on the road a lot and away from their spouses or girl friends? The lack of sexual activity has been linked to prostate problems (according to my urologist and studies).

Sitting on your butt all the time(as in driving a truck) will kill you sooner, no doubt, from something.Truck stop food,sedentary life style, no sex,loneliness,vibration,accidents, whatever...?
The article says jobs that have "whole body vibration" is the differential factor in this study, not simply sitting alone as a factor. Seems to me MC's are in that category, especially the ones that shake the ground? Well, I've been sitting long enough:bolt

Maybe worse for Harley jocks than BMW's?:)

I can tell you that I just came off riding Harleys and the difference is incredible. I could barely go an hour on the Harley without stopping to pee and sometimes less than that. Since I started riding my new BMW I can ride at least 2 1/2 hours without the need to stop and pee....it could be longer. This morning I left at 9 am and got home at 11:30, riding 154 miles without stopping except for a couple of red lights.

Yet I [just] read that some 60% of lung cancer victims never smoked !...go figure.

As an oncologist, I'd like to know the source of that statistic. When I was a fellow, we looked at several hundred consecutive patients with lung cancer and you could count the non-smokers on two hands. A British study quotes 86% of their lung cancers were smoking related, which is actually lower than most studies. In my practice, I treated many patients with lung cancer and can only remember two non-smokers off the top of my head. Sorry about getting a little off topic, but I couldn't let that quote slide without a comment.

vibration

I can tell you that I just came off riding Harleys and the difference is incredible. I could barely go an hour on the Harley without stopping to pee and sometimes less than that. Since I started riding my new BMW I can ride at least 2 1/2 hours without the need to stop and pee....it could be longer. This morning I left at 9 am and got home at 11:30, riding 154 miles without stopping except for a couple of red lights.

guess you can call me a prophet since I've always called HD riders Harley truck drivers.

As an oncologist, I'd like to know the source of that statistic. When I was a fellow, we looked at several hundred consecutive patients with lung cancer and you could count the non-smokers on two hands. A British study quotes 86% of their lung cancers were smoking related, which is actually lower than most studies. In my practice, I treated many patients with lung cancer and can only remember two non-smokers off the top of my head. Sorry about getting a little off topic, but I couldn't let that quote slide without a comment.

Hope this is OK to post here...?

It was sent to me by a friend who continues to smoke, even though I keep trying to encourage her to quit.

This part of an article by Dr, Lecia V Sequist...Titled ; Stigma Lingers for Deadliest Cancer. To CNN on 10/30/13

Note the 5th paragraph...

Then tell someone else that your aunt just found out she has breast cancer, or colon cancer, or any other type of cancer you can think of. This time the response will be pure sympathy, without any blame attached.

Donna Summer died of lung cancer not related to smoking

The feeling that lung cancer patients should somehow be held liable for their cancer diagnosis is often the only notion people have about lung cancer.

Lung cancer is the deadliest cancer, responsible for more than 25% of all cancer deaths. It kills roughly twice as many women as breast cancer, and almost three times as many men as prostate cancer.

What many people don't realize is that about 60% of all new lung cancer diagnoses are among people who have never smoked or are former smokers, many of whom quit several decades ago.

For the first time, the World Health Organization recently declared air pollution as a leading cause of lung cancer. In short, anyone with lungs -- anyone who breathes -- can get lung cancer.

Researchers are on the verge of a seismic shift in our ability to diagnose and treat lung cancer, and more funding is desperately needed to bring these promising new therapies to fruition.

In the last five years, researchers have learned that some lung cancers are remarkably sensitive to a new type of treatment, one that comes in a pill and is targeted specifically toward the genetic defects that make that particular cancer "tick."

In clinics across the country, oncologists are testing their lung cancer patients to find out which type of gene the cancer carries so they can know which type of targeted therapy will work best. As a result, some patients are living longer, with fewer side effects and improved quality of life compared to traditional therapies.

In addition, in the last two years researchers have started to learn how to harness the immune system to attack lung cancer, and have seen some patients with advanced disease go into prolonged remission, sometimes lasting long after the immune therapy is stopped. These types of successes in lung cancer treatments would have been unimaginable 10 years ago.

Task force: Screen smokers for lung cancer

Scientists are deeply committed to broadening and improving therapy options until there is an effective treatment for all lung cancer patients.

Unfortunately, the stigma associated with lung cancer has translated to a massive inequality in research funding. When analyzing the combined 2012 cancer research dollars granted by federal organizations, for every woman who dies of breast cancer, more than $26,000 in federal research funding is devoted to breast cancer research.

Since we are expressing opinions slightly related to the original topic,

A strange topic related to having fun on two wheels. I don't think I have to worry about my bike grinding my important bits into impotency, short riding season you see.

It is more likely that you will die with Prostate Cancer than from it. A phrase I heard a few times. I don't know if it's true but, I live like it is true.

About ten years ago, taking a pee was getting to be a challenge for me. I was in my late 40's.

Since my goal at the end of my life is to die being shot dead by a jealous husband while mounting his wife, I thought I might have to re-adjust my "end of life" ambition.

That year, almost 200 days of travel. Air, driving, sitting and the list goes on.

I should add, when the doctor snaps his gloves on and smiles at you, you should know it isn't because he's happy to see you.

After the good old Prostate Digital check, "reduce your sodium and lots of water".

No drugs, followed his advice, did another 6 years of the same travel routine and I can pee like a 12 year old trying to write his name in the snow. Best of all, still working at completing my end of life bucket list.

Ride to have fun, ride and teach and just ride.

Continuing with the change in topic: perhaps the cancer research funding disparity is based on frequency of occurrence of certain cancers vs. how often they are the cause of death? Seems I've read/heard it was a level of publicity diff.?
Back on the body vibration thing-I was thinking while reading the article I first mentioned, when I "ride my tractor" (40hp orange 4x4) for a few hours my lower back(meaning my spine, not muscles) suffers far more than when riding my MC. Considering the tractor has what appears to be a fairly supportive seat that rides on springs,has foam & a back support maybe its the vibration not the seating thing.

Since I am an Operating Engineer and spend a lot of time seated on equipment I am aware, by virtue on being trained, to take a one or two minute "stand up" break every half hour or so. The reason is that pressure on the back of the thighs can induce a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) ... a blood clot. Long distance air travelers are also at risk.

On a hunch I googled DVT and prostate and it would appear that the two may be connected. Long term, deep, dull back pain is a symptom of prostate cancer.
And the only reason I'm aware of this is because I just went through a series of urological tests for another symptom.

I wanna be thirty again.. ...

Oh, and always ask your doc to use two digits when doing a rectal examination - it never hurts (too much) to get a second opinion.

Oh, and always ask your doc to use two digits when doing a rectal examination - it never hurts (too much) to get a second opinion.

One time - during THAT exam - I noticed that my doc was taking a long time for the exam - then I noticed that both of his hands were on my hips......

FWIW, I asked my urologist if riding my motorcycle might cause prostate problems or possibly cause or aggravate erectile dysfunction. He said no. I have seen articles where bicycle riders can develop ED due to those hard bicycle seats causing damage to delicate areas...

What riding and long periods of driving can do is raise your PSA levels (sex can, too). So if you want a more accurate (and lower PSA result), refrain from any sex or long trips in the car or on the bike before you donate a blood sample for a PSA test.

Harry

PS: I have a twin brother who does not ride motorcycles. We have had identical prostate issues in the form of enlarged prostate.

OK
Here's my take on the truck driver / prostate cancer issue.
My background: I'm a 6 year prostate cancer survivor, I had mine cut out in March 2007, at age 47, quite young for PC.
My numbers were poor and I've got a file on PC and cancer a full 12" high.

Truck Drivers probably have higher or much higher rates of PC because of at least 2 issues:
1 Poor diet
2 Complete lack of exercise.

The red meat fat based diet, truck stop style, is deadly, end of story, especially without real exercise.

No exercise means your immune system is not running at full speed, very likely 50% at best.
Daily exercise keeps your immune system at full power, as does sleep. ** White blood cells form when your sleeping!** Got to get good sleep!
That why they say when you get the flu, Sleep! You need those white blood cells.

We [ everyone ] constantly has cancer cells forming in the body. Lots of them. Skin, bladder, colon, lung, pancreatic, etc etc.
99.999% of the time the White Blood Cells gather up these cells, beat them up and transport them to the lymph nodes where they are excreted out of the body through waste.
There is a problem when the cancer cells over power the White Blood cells and start to multiply. This is cancer. Those cancer cells are powerful freaks that can fend off the White Blood cells and get a stronghold and your in trouble, especially if you are young. The younger you are the faster cells reproduce. This why you age...The cell reproduction can't keep up and your skin hair eyes etc start to get rough. And this is why Kids with cancer is so scary; kids cells are multiplying at fantastic rates. And this is why kids hair and skin looks so good.

The Doc's beat into me that I have to exercise everyday and eat a good diet, because even with my prostate gland gone there is still a chance those cancer cells are in me. Breast cancer and Prostate cancer cells can hang around for years and then suddenly start multiplying. I have to get a PSA test every 6 months.
And I ride as much as possible and have as much fun as I can today.
Snowbums webpage has alot of PC beta too!

Gross Hematuria

Well, this is as good a place and time to bring up my challenge. A year ago I stopped by a bush, out in the wilds of Canyonlands NP, UT, to relieve myself. I was surprised by what looked like pure blood and eventually blood clots - it wasn't pure blood, but you get the picture. I had absolutely no symptoms, such as pain. It was probably brought on by enjoying myself on my XR600. After a few days it resolved. Later a cystoscope showed no bladder problems and no prostate problems. 3yrs earlier I had enjoyed the benefit of a 'greenlight' laser TURP that had eliminated all the urgency, frequency, nighttime problems.

I rode to Salem this summer and back to home - ~2k miles and a week later the whole blood thing repeated itself! Again, no preliminary symptoms. This time a CTscan was totally negative for my kidneys, bladder, and prostate.

So, WTF? My urologist doesn't really have an answer; my PSA is higher than my normal [~4.5 vs. 1]; I just rode 1000mi 2 weekends ago without problems. BTW, I normally sleep through the night. BTW, I exercise 3-5 times per week. BTW, I'm 71yo.

Is it the awful BMW seat 'bump'? Is it any riding? Is it motorcycles in general?

Hoping to hear from others.

Well, this is as good a place and time to bring up my challenge. A year ago I stopped by a bush, out in the wilds of Canyonlands NP, UT, to relieve myself. I was surprised by what looked like pure blood and eventually blood clots - it wasn't pure blood, but you get the picture. I had absolutely no symptoms, such as pain. It was probably brought on by enjoying myself on my XR600. After a few days it resolved. Later a cystoscope showed no bladder problems and no prostate problems. 3yrs earlier I had enjoyed the benefit of a 'greenlight' laser TURP that had eliminated all the urgency, frequency, nighttime problems.

I rode to Salem this summer and back to home - ~2k miles and a week later the whole blood thing repeated itself! Again, no preliminary symptoms. This time a CTscan was totally negative for my kidneys, bladder, and prostate.

So, WTF? My urologist doesn't really have an answer; my PSA is higher than my normal [~4.5 vs. 1]; I just rode 1000mi 2 weekends ago without problems. BTW, I normally sleep through the night. BTW, I exercise 3-5 times per week. BTW, I'm 71yo.

Is it the awful BMW seat 'bump'? Is it any riding? Is it motorcycles in general?

Hoping to hear from others.

Again, not trying to turn the thread but. I agree allot with you & [nickrides] So I'm curious. What sort of exercise do you do and for how long per session ? just curious. As I am 'un-young' myself :whistle @ 64

Back