Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Diy oil change for 2014 gsw

  1. #31
    Small road corner junkie pffog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WNY, Further fron NYC, than 6 entire states!
    Posts
    2,329
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost man View Post
    I wanted to say does not "mandate the brand" duh.
    Why do some believe that these bikes are so special?? High HP twin, shared trans/engine oil, wet clutch, overhead cam?????? All been done before and millions of bikes on the road using all types of oil and as I said before oil related failures are non existent IMHO. And all oils are FAR superior to what was available 20 or 30 years ago and there are legendary high mileage /5, /6 etc out there.

    Sometimes I thing BMW owners are descendents of the people of Jonestown, and cool-aid drinking mentality is genetic!
    2010 F800GS Full Ohlins package, '04 R1100S Replika
    '01 F650GS Wife's bike
    Maritime Alps and Vosges 2012
    Tuscany and Central Italy 2010

  2. #32
    Ponch ponch1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Fountain Hills AZ
    Posts
    1,281
    Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    Why do some believe that these bikes are so special?? High HP twin, shared trans/engine oil, wet clutch, overhead cam?????? All been done before and millions of bikes on the road using all types of oil and as I said before oil related failures are non existent IMHO. And all oils are FAR superior to what was available 20 or 30 years ago and there are legendary high mileage /5, /6 etc out there.

    Sometimes I thing BMW owners are descendents of the people of Jonestown, and cool-aid drinking mentality is genetic!
    You better watch it or the moderator will send you a nastygram or your posts will be redacted. DAMHIK.
    My Motorrad
    BMWMOA 162849 | BMWRA 41335 | VROC 8109-R | VBA 19

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost man View Post
    Emoto thanks for the torque values.

    The oil change went well but the shifting was rough. Hmmm the only thing different was the fresh oil.
    So I checked the oil type in my manual it was the wrong oil a semi-syn and wrong viscosity.

    I did buy the oil at a BMW dealer (I was out of town. I did not have my manual) I had the counter person check twice and insure it was the correct oil and vis. He stated it was.
    He made a mistake as I did. Other wise he was very helpful and pleasant. I should've of asked to see a manual from a floor model and before changing the oil I should of checked my manual.

    Just changed it again this time as per the manual* to CASTROL Power RS Racing 4T 5W-40 from Amazon $7.41 a quart + shipping. The engine is quieter and shifts like butter.

    *The manual does state to use CASTROL Power 1 Racing 4T 5W-40 but that type is not listed on CASTROL's website the RS has the same ratings so I choose the RS. It did make a huge difference in the shifting and valve train noise.

    How did you buy the CASTROL Power 1 Racing oil for $ 7.41 when I checked it was $ 18 per quart.

  4. #34
    Registered User Emoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by dhartzell View Post
    How did you buy the CASTROL Power 1 Racing oil for $ 7.41 when I checked it was $ 18 per quart.
    Look for the 6-pack.
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1

  5. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SO FL & N GA
    Posts
    20

    Cool A Little More

    Yes it was a 6 pack on Amazon $7.41 + shipping.

    I think all the bikes I own are special to me, isn't that the point. I like them for various reason. I want to take good care of them and I also enjoy working on them. Although I would rather ride them and so we are back to taking good care of them. Hence choosing a good product that makes the riding more enjoyable, like smooth shifting.

    Like most of us I own/owned many different brands of motorcycles I like my GS, I like airheads also.

    I have never cared for Kool Aid not that it's bad just never cared for it. I am loyal to people.

    But to a brand, company or dealership they get my business if they earn it.

    Almost 300 additional miles with the CASTROL Oil and shifting is getting much smoother just about 900 now.

    Thanks again for being so forthcoming and sharing your knowledge and experiences.

  6. #36
    Registered User lkchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    5,960
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost man View Post
    The manual does state to use CASTROL Power 1 Racing 4T 5W-40 but that type is not listed on CASTROL's website the RS has the same ratings so I choose the RS. It did make a huge difference in the shifting and valve train noise.
    I think it's safe to assume Power RS is Power 1 repackaged for the USA.

    Care to speculate how long it would take Mobil's attorneys to call should Castrol attempt sale of motor oil in the USA with "1" in the name?

    The Power RS bottle itself states "made from foreign and USA components," and I'd guess the USA component is the bottle ... a quart instead of a liter.

    An interview with somebody from BMW in a recent BMW Motorcycle Magazine indicated it's quite important to use the specified full synthetic motor oil ... to ensure satisfactory clutch/transmission performance.
    Kent Christensen
    21482
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

  7. #37
    Registered User Rustynuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Coos Bay OR
    Posts
    21
    Did some searching on this before I placed my order from Amazon. Finally came up with an email reply from Castrol confirming they are the same oils. This came from another BMW motorcycle forum....

    "Here's a copy of an email I received back from Castrol:
    Thank you for contacting Castrol.

    Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T is part of the Castrol Malaysia product line.

    As many products that are carried in North America are not available in Malaysia and vice versa.

    BMW Motorrad recommends exclusively Castrol Power RS R4 10W-50 for use in their new boxer model, the HP2 Sport. This is the first recommendation for a dedicated motorcycle product in the BMW boxer engine and follows the successful conclusion of in-house durability testing by BMW in Munich. This is part of a successful co-engineering program between BMW Motorrad and Castrol.

    BMW also recommends Castrol Power RS R4 products in all wet clutch models (K 1200S, F650, F800 and the off road G450). The recommendation in owner?s manuals will be Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T. In the USA, the recommendation will be Castrol Power RS R4.

    Castrol Consumer Relations "

  8. #38
    Tourmeister gr8ridn2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Kern Valley CA
    Posts
    260
    My owner's manual for the 2013 GSW states 5W40 for the WC boxer. I have heard the same thing about the name change in the recommended Castrol oil. Legal issues with Mobil 1 forced the change in the North American market. The oil rating remains the same between the Power 1 and Power RS products.
    2014 R1200 GSA W - Continent traveler
    2016 S1000XR - Smile Maker
    1976 R90/6 - Just Plain Fun

  9. #39
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    SO FL & N GA
    Posts
    20

    Been awhile

    I have a little over 3,000 miles my GSW the shifting has gotten way smoother. I really like this bike.
    I bought a 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure in Dec. and literally right out the box it shifted like butter. I really like this bike too!

    I am thinking about an RT next will have sell a kidney but it's worth it.

  10. #40
    Registered User Emoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    I think it's safe to assume Power RS is Power 1 repackaged for the USA.

    Care to speculate how long it would take Mobil's attorneys to call should Castrol attempt sale of motor oil in the USA with "1" in the name?

    The Power RS bottle itself states "made from foreign and USA components," and I'd guess the USA component is the bottle ... a quart instead of a liter.

    An interview with somebody from BMW in a recent BMW Motorcycle Magazine indicated it's quite important to use the specified full synthetic motor oil ... to ensure satisfactory clutch/transmission performance.
    I emailed Castrol USA and they confirmed to me that "Castrol 06410 Power RS 5W-40 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil" is the same oil as "Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T 5W-40".
    Eventual Master of the Obvious
    SE Mass - SOHC4 - DoD - BMWMOA - EMOTO #1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •