• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Fuel filter ? 78' R100/7

What makes them better?

Just asking..........:type

To be honest, I am not sure that they are better! I suspect so, though.

I have them on my BMW R100 with no problems. I think that the filtering material would not be susceptible to the water-in-gas issue as the paper apparently was. Also, when I was a buyer for one of the largest plastic molding companies (that you have heard of), we used the sintered bronze filter quite a bit.

Just a suggestion in case you want to experiment with another type the next time you are thinking of changing.

This difference would be a good comparison for someone to run an experiment to see which one performs better.

Whatever, either type, if one takes them apart, and they do catch dirt (or water) then that is the proof that they do work.

I still doubt the suggestion that water was the problem with yours. One thing I don't understand is how both filters plugged at the same time. I, too, usually run left side alone until I am out on that side, then open up right side. Start looking for gas station, and if necessary, I put both sides on reserve. Using this method, the left bears most of the burden of filtering as it is used the most time. If any would plug up, I would think that the left would go far earlier than the right side.

One thing I do from time to time is when I have to disconnect the fuel lines, I always run a small amount (about 1/4 cup) out of each petcock from the tank, but before the filters. This would allow any sediment that might be lying low and that could get through to go into the cup.

I also, from time to time, check each of the float bowls - easy to check for dirt and sediment.

Back