• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW Radio, Can't find someone to repair.

dieselyoda

My 1997 R1100RT came with a nice little radio/stereo. The speakers were toast so I put new ones in last winter and and got about two weeks of nice music when stuck in traffic then the radio went bad. I had two local places try to fix it. Took them all summer and $200.00 and they couldn't fix it. I looked on the forums for every BMW bike and found some places to try. Becker Auto Sound doesn't want it and I sent e-mails to 'xkalibay@gmail.com'; 'navi4cars@gmail.com' who is supposed to be the guy in England that can fix these. No reply after several months. I've got all winter, 6 months, to send it away and get it fixed if possible.

Suggestions or alternative solutions will be appreciated. Here is a picture of my electronic boat anchor:

Attachments

• radio (800x600).jpg
    radio (800x600).jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 204
I think the radio is a DIN standard size (DIN 75490 AKA ISO 7736) with a 180 x 50 mm front panel. There are lots of radios out there with that form factor... just check the length. The down side of using a generic radio is that any handlebar control (don't remember if the R1100RT had one) won't match the radio. Some do come with "remotes" that can replace your handlebar control.

These days you can get a unit that also includes CD/MP3/USB and Bluetooth for not much more than $100. Installation might be a medium pain to match on-bike wiring. That could be a fun winter project.

The radio is readily available on eBay. You can use one from a K100LT, K1100LT, and R1100RT. They are all swappable. Make sure you get the security code with it or you'll have another boat anchor.

I think the radio is a DIN standard size (DIN 75490 AKA ISO 7736) with a 180 x 50 mm front panel. There are lots of radios out there with that form factor... just check the length. The down side of using a generic radio is that any handlebar control (don't remember if the R1100RT had one) won't match the radio. Some do come with "remotes" that can replace your handlebar control.

These days you can get a unit that also includes CD/MP3/USB and Bluetooth for not much more than $100. Installation might be a medium pain to match on-bike wiring. That could be a fun winter project.

But then he won't have a cassette player.

There is a cassette player in my stereo?

I wondered what that slot was for. I kept trying to put my IPod in it and nothing happened so I thought it was broken too.

Seriously though, Anton, your offer is very generous and I may have to take you up on it if other suggestions don't come this way. If I take you up on it, I will find something truly "Canadian" in exchange for you.

I actually haven't missed the radio that much but I am a bit of a "purist" in that the bike came equipped with it, it should work.

I suppose the possibilities are endless. Should I prepare myself by looking up all of the old Bob & Doug McKenzie videos? :)

And don't forget brothers Darryl!

I thought that slot was to heat up my Pop-Tart...

Now I have to come up with another smart-a-- comment.

Ok, our geese dropped one of your airplanes. The Chinese or Iraq's couldn't do it. You don't mess with them. I'm a good Canadian boy and respect the fact that they will eat your face.

Moose, one at a time are awesome to look at. Two Meeses, Mooses, together are just a reason to get to your butt kicked. They do make great lasagna but make the front of a big pick-up look like crumpled tin foil.

Elk? Elk are stupid, eh. They will run into the side of your truck putting you in the hospital for three months. They destroy the truck and they don't leave enough leftovers.

I was thinking of a truly Canadian exchange. A pair of Mitts with a Snot Wiper in exchange for a radio head.

If you don't know what Mitts with a Snot Wiper is: Imagine that your hands get cold. Your nose gets cold too. We all know what happens when your nose gets cold? RIGHT! It's the perfect toofer.

The brothers, wasn't that a Bob Newhart show?

And don't forget brothers Darryl!

I thought that slot was to heat up my Pop-Tart...

I thought the Darryl brothers were from a Bob Newhart TV show set in Vermont or Maine or one of those other NE states. You know which states I'm talking about? The ones where everyone wears plaid and talks slow? (that did sound offensive to people living in those states, sorry. I will let you make any comment you want about Saskatchewan. OH CRAP, I will quit now)

Every Canadian has a brother named Darryl. We call them different names but the names remain interchangeable.

We don't have Pop-Tarts, they haven't invented the microwave in Canada yet. We do have Pizza-Pops, they cook really well on our wood stoves.

This makes my morning! Thanks, Little Green Guy!

I've had moose, but not elk - it's on the list...
I think the brothers actually began on Second City TV, and migrated down to SNL and Newhart, but I don't really know...
Pizza Pops? If they're like Pop-Tarts, they sound yummie, but then my doc would double my cholesterol medicine...

Unfortunately the website is a bit FUBAR.

DY:

You might give these guys a try. They specialize in German car radios:

http://www.swstereo.com/custsupport.shtml

Thanks for that link but I can't contact them as their website is having some problems. I will try again.

Now, it looks like Pauls1150 dropped a subtle hint that he needs some lean, low cholesterol Elk to try. My next trip, in a few days, won't be a problem to knock down a stupid Elk with the side of my truck. When I get out of the hospital, I will share whats left with whomever wants.

Elk are stupid, eh.

I have never had to sell a truck in my entire life. Insurance bought them all. One year, five deer, a skunk and the write-off, believe it or not, the cat that lives down the street.

She is a spectacular mouser and when she darted in front of me, the ditch and a rollover seemed like a better choice. Not one of my better decisions in life.

Thanks for that link but I can't contact them as their website is having some problems. I will try again.

Their website has always been wonky. The phone numbers are 1-800-270-2378, or 1-732-522-1837.

She is a spectacular mouser...

Here's our spectacular mouser; he doesn't want to be just a pretty boy:

summer%2007%20137-XL.jpg

Good of you to not run over the neighbour's cat. :thumb

That's a gorgeous Tom.

I have a soft spot for critters of all kinds. I don't hunt, guns not allowed in my home and my daughter fosters rescues.

Nice read:)

Smile as I read this thread:). I have three cats, three dogs, 21 chickens and 4 horses. A zoo, my place, but loving all of'em. Had my first Moose Burger in Yukon, Canada and WOW good. Lots of critters in the far north and most see to have NO fear of us riding or driving whatever. They don't even blink as I pass, but are dangerously close and obviously unpredicatable. I tried hard to not travel at night. Most that do have lights mounted on their bumpers and frontal areas of their vehicles, enough to light the world up front. Just spent much of my summer in BC and Alaska. GSA1200.

Back