• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Tire Pressure Gauge

wwalton

My tire pressure guage is shapped wrong to be used on my RT. Before I go shopping for a new one, I thought I would ask here for any suggestions.

Thank you

My tire pressure guage is shapped wrong to be used on my RT. Before I go shopping for a new one, I thought I would ask here for any suggestions.

Thank you

Seek out the gauge with the flexible hose and locking chuck from BestRest Products ($25). Have several in my inventory (multiple bikes, garage bench) and rely on their accuracy.

They also mate well with the BestRest tire pump ($100), an expedition-quality device that is always with me on the bike. :thumb

FYI, resist any temptation to solve your problem by converting to 'right-angle' valves. They have a poor track record (often leak), as my son can attest to.

I even had an OEM version on one of my bike's go bad the first year.

I have several very cheap (under $5) tire gauges that measure 5-50 psi. When checked on a truck tire, which won't lose much air if I mess up, they seem to read within one psi of each other. 45 degree angle head, and it is a bit difficult getting the thing at the correct angle around the front tire disks, but possible. Easy to read, even to a half pound, which wider range gauges are not. Had a digital gauge die early and swore off them.

At home, I've come to rely upon my bicycle pump with gauge. That gauge agrees with my little cheapies on the truck tire, and I avoid the possibility of losing air in my MC tires if I don't insert the gauge just right.

Incidentally, just installed mounted snow tires on one our cars - tires that spent the last 6 months in our basement. ALL of them were at 34 psi, and I most likely would have set the pressure at 32 in a colder spell then never checked them again. So, not ALL tires lose pressure as the months pass - though my current MC tires do just that.

The learning never ends.

Back