• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

which jacket to get for over a heated jacket liner ?

ezwicky

hi all,

i have a rev'it tornado jacket and pants, which are mesh for hot weather, with wind-blocking liners that i can put in for cooler temps.

i also have a new gerbings heated jacket liner. with my rev'it setup, i can't use the gerbings as a replacement for the rev'it liner, because the gerbing liner is not wind-proof or water-proof, so i end up with a lot of layers... shirt, gerbings, rev'it liner, rev'it jacket. it's really tight and bulky.

so i am thinking that for winter, i should get a separate jacket to use with the gerbings. (remove the jacket liner and replace with the gerbings). for the other three seasons i am good with the rev'it.

so, what should i look at? i am thinking about the 1st-gear kilimanjaro or the olympia AST. am i on the right track? any other suggestions?

thanks in advance,

-eric

Last edited:
I use my Firstgear mesh jacket with the rain liner installed on top of the Gerbings. If it is really cold, I use the Aerostich shell and fleece liner with the Gerbings underneath.

I use my Tour Master Draft jacket over my Gerbings liner for cooler weather. It has a water proof liner in it. If its down right cold, I wear my Gerbings liner under my Tour Master Transitions 2 jacket. This past Saturday it was 29 deg. when I left the house. I wore my Gerbings liner under a summer jacket. I had a nice warm ride...

hi all,

i have a rev'it tornado jacket and pants, which are mesh for hot weather, with wind-blocking liners that i can put in for cooler temps.

i also have a new gerbings heated jacket liner. with my rev'it setup, i can't use the gerbings as a replacement for the rev'it liner, because the gerbing liner is not wind-proof or water-proof, so i end up with a lot of layers... shirt, gerbings, rev'it liner, rev'it jacket. it's really tight and bulky.

so i am thinking that for winter, i should get a separate jacket to use with the gerbings. (remove the jacket liner and replace with the gerbings). for the other three seasons i am good with the rev'it.

so, what should i look at? i am thinking about the 1st-gear kilimanjaro or the olympia AST. am i on the right track? any other suggestions?

thanks in advance,

-eric

I have the Gerbings pant and jacket micro wire, and the Kilimanjaro pant and jacket setup,and find it is perfect for year round riding by using the liners as needed. I take out the Kilimanjaro liner and use the Gerbings when it is real cold, less than 30F. I wear underamor, Gerbings then Kilimanjaro. I had a problem with the stitching on the Kili. pants zipper and they repaired it and sent them back in about two weeks total down time. Very happy with this setup.

I have the Gerbings pant and jacket micro wire, and the Kilimanjaro pant and jacket setup,and find it is perfect for year round riding by using the liners as needed. I take out the Kilimanjaro liner and use the Gerbings when it is real cold, less than 30F. I wear underamor, Gerbings then Kilimanjaro. I had a problem with the stitching on the Kili. pants zipper and they repaired it and sent them back in about two weeks total down time. Very happy with this setup.

thanks john. this is exactly how i would use it. i've been doing a lot of searches for "kilimanjaro" on this forum and on ADVrider today and there seems to be near-universal enthusiasm for this jacket. the rev'it pants with liner will do me for this winter, since i don't have the gerbings pants linet yet, but i think i am going to pull the trigger on the kilimanjaro jacket tomorrow.

I also have a Tourmaster Transitions 2. It is quite generous inside with the the insulating liner on but you can take up the slack with several adjusters in the arms. I imagine that you can take the liner off when using the Gerbing liner and have a much less bulky outfit. Tourmaster jackets are more "American cut" than the Euro brands.

Back