• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

NHTSA Suzuki Recall over Brake Problems

ExGMan

From the NYTimes 10/27/2013 -

The Suzuki recall covers 2004-13 GSX-R600 and GSX-R750 models, as well as 2005-13 GSX-R1000s, according to a report from Suzuki. The motorcycle manufacturer says corrosion of the front brake piston may generate gas within the brake system, reducing stopping power. There was no mention of any accidents related to the problem.

They join the Motor Company:

A total of 25,185 motorcycles are being voluntarily recalled for a faulty hydraulic clutch system. According to the press release, Harley-Davidson dealers have been issued a "do not ride" and "do not deliver" notice until the safety issue is remedied. The recall reportedly affects specific models of the 2014 bikes. According to the press release, FLHTCU, FLHTK, FLHTP, FLHX, FLHXS, FLHTKSE and FLHRSE models are currently the only bikes included in the recall. Harley-Davidson has also issued a recall for 3,861 Softail, CVOs and Trikes (models FLHTCUTG, FXSBSE and FLSTNSE) built between May 3 and Oct. 14 of this year.

According to a report from Reuters, the faulty clutch does not disengage properly and can cause a potential accident due to its inability to allow riders to slow or stop their motorcycles.

Our local dealership has no 2014 bikes on the floor now. All waiting recall fixes.

HD's missing that 100 year old cable system already. That's what happens when they get involved with "Advanced High Tech" applications like hydraulics...LOL

They join the Motor Company:

A total of 25,185 motorcycles are being voluntarily recalled for a faulty hydraulic clutch system. According to the press release, Harley-Davidson dealers have been issued a "do not ride" and "do not deliver" notice until the safety issue is remedied. The recall reportedly affects specific models of the 2014 bikes. According to the press release, FLHTCU, FLHTK, FLHTP, FLHX, FLHXS, FLHTKSE and FLHRSE models are currently the only bikes included in the recall. Harley-Davidson has also issued a recall for 3,861 Softail, CVOs and Trikes (models FLHTCUTG, FXSBSE and FLSTNSE) built between May 3 and Oct. 14 of this year.

According to a report from Reuters, the faulty clutch does not disengage properly and can cause a potential accident due to its inability to allow riders to slow or stop their motorcycles.

Our local dealership has no 2014 bikes on the floor now. All waiting recall fixes.

A local Harley mechanic said he was thankful for the recall because even though warranty doesn't pay much, it's better than nothing. He said business was good in the spring but the bottom dropped out since August. One of my riding buddys that rides a Harley asked us to stop by his Harley dealership the other day on a ride so he could make an appointment for a new tire and service. When we got there, they took it right in and did the work immediately. They had nothing else to do.

In the year Harley goes water cooled, the aircooled Indian arrives.

I find it interesting that HD's move (finally) to water-cooling, on their iconic models, has been so underplayed. Sure they've had the water-cooled V-rod for years, but you really have to look for much marketing script on this long anticipated change to the Big Twins. It would appear they've put more marketing effort into their "Skull" line of clothing. Another example of old guard tradition trumping advancements in design and function (albeit a rather low grade up grade).

I think they're afraid--the V-rod has been a sales failure, due allegedly in big part to traditional customers' resistance to water cooling.

I think they're afraid--the V-rod has been a sales failure, due allegedly in big part to traditional customers' resistance to water cooling.

This is the same problem that they had with Buell in HD dealerships : "It Ain't A Harley". Of course, the big problem is that most Harley salesmen have no idea how to sell a sport bike. Our local shop has had salesmen who have never ridden a bike, nor have an endorsement, but try and tell people about the motorcycles and what the customer needs in accessories. Hmmmm.....

The V-Rod is probably the only Harley I would ever consider owning if they got some better seats and had some ground clearance like they tried on one model. Problem with that one was that the rear brake lever was not adjustable, and my foot rested hard on it and was very uncomfortable if I moved my foot rearward to get off the brake.

Back