• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

2013 F700gs fork oil weight

Hi, I'm a new owner of a 2013 F700gs and I would like to try a heavier weight oil in the forks. Does anyone know what the factory weight oil is in the forks? I love the bike, but wanted a little firmer ride and wanted to try a heaver weight oil first before going with aftermarket springs. I mostly ride pavement.
Thanks
Little Red

Hi, I'm a new owner of a 2013 F700gs and I would like to try a heavier weight oil in the forks. Does anyone know what the factory weight oil is in the forks? I love the bike, but wanted a little firmer ride and wanted to try a heaver weight oil first before going with aftermarket springs. I mostly ride pavement.
Thanks
Little Red
Welcome to the forum!
Gary

F 700gs Fork oil weight

This is my first time I've posted on the forum and Thank You for your reply, I will try your recommendation. I stepped down to the F700 from the 1200 gsa and love the comfort of a smaller bike.
Thanks Again!
Little Red

Welcome to the forum!
Gary

Check you sag, that is how much it settles when you mount the bike. Should be about 2 inches. Adjust by the spacers under the fork cap. If you have to much sag stock, you should look at a stronger spring. Race Tech and other can help. Heaver fork oil will not change the sag. It will give a stiffer ride. I went for Race Tech springs and there Gold Valve cartage eliminators. Makes gravel roads fell more planted.

F700 Fork oil

Check you sag, that is how much it settles when you mount the bike. Should be about 2 inches. Adjust by the spacers under the fork cap. If you have to much sag stock, you should look at a stronger spring. Race Tech and other can help. Heaver fork oil will not change the sag. It will give a stiffer ride. I went for Race Tech springs and there Gold Valve cartage eliminators. Makes gravel roads fell more planted.
Thank you for the tip. Sorry for not replying sooner!
Thanks Again
Little Red

yeah... my manual says:

Level of fork oil in fork leg (air chamber) with Forks fully compressed, spring removed, spacer installed: 100 mm

Fluids and lubricants: Hydraulic fluid SAE 7.5

I'd not heard of the racetech product, but installed what (appears to be similar :scratch ) Intiminators from Ricor and they were a big help to me...
as a by-product of installation they increased the spring preload by ~1/2" which was good for me @ about 190lbs.

There is a thread over on ADVRider somewhere about the Intiminators. With the intiminators they recommend you drop down one notch on the viscosity...

Back