• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Saw a truck with snow on the hood; time to winterize

The second dump of snow this week resulted in damage to trees all over town, and 30,000 people had no power.

We had no heat for much of the day and the cats got pretty cold.

It makes you realize how vulnerable our housing and energy supply infrastructure is, to the weather.

Still in the 90's down here...

Yo Mark, what's this Winter thing these fine BMW folks speak of eh? No sabe Winter, ese!

100_0755.jpg

Last Friday I rode home from Cranbrook the longer but better route. Temp was just above freezing when I left, but the electric jacket kept me comfortable. Then I encountered fog - not thick enough to make you even slow down in a car, but would have had the wipers on intermittent. Wondered why my vision was decreasing since the helmet has a pinlock visor. Oh, that is fog coating the OUTSIDE of the visor. Rode quite a ways with just the right hand on the bar while my left hand (in a Held glove that has a little rubber wiper on the index finger) did duty as a face shield wiper.

Wasn't that far from Calgary and heard on the news about the snow and power outages caused by branches still with all their leaves breaking and taking down power lines. Glad I didn't encounter snow and went prepared for some cold riding. If you don't have Held gloves, you might want to retrofit your gloves with a narrow rubber strip on the left index finger for the next time you encounter fog. That loss of vision with no way of clearing the visor could be pretty scary.

The weather's returned to normal again, and I had shorts on yesterday, cutting the grass. The snow has caused it to grow thicker than I've seen all year.

City crews are still working every day, clearing and removing broken tree limbs.

Back