• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Saw a truck with snow on the hood; time to winterize

don_ski

Donski
Getting the car serviced today, 0.4 deg. C this morning, saw a truck with snow on the hood from a little further north and decided to winterize the RT. Had a good summer of fun driving and touring. Looking forward to a tour in New Zealand in Nov. 2014. Have a great winter riding in the south!

got caught in a pretty good snow squall this afternoon, thought it was raining hard 'till it started sticking to my visor! very unusual for October around here. Hope it is a sign for a snowy winter, love riding in the snow.

3" today

West Michigan 3" snow, did not last all day. 37 degrees, in the morning, high 40's. This is not FALL.

Saw some flurries the other day. Just drained the garden hoses and stored them, already rearranged the garage and put the mower in the back and the blowers in the front. Test ran the blowers, both started on the first pull. Had the airhead out today for a bit.

We moved to Montana because of the short and easy winters we have here; used to live in Fairbanks. So far (two years) it has proven true. There have been rideable days every month. By rideable I mean clear roads and temps of at least forty. Expect a high of 64 tomorrow; a high of 27 on Monday.

Still in the 90's down here...

Another month or so and it might almost be bearable,

The cool weather is coming but that's part of the reason I bought an RT. heated seat, grips and a vest make riding into the 30's/ 40's just fine as long as the roads are snow and ice free.

I try to ride it year round but When the roads get too snotty for the bike, I go skiing!

When the roads get too snotty for the bike, I go skiing!

I'm a wimp, so I wait til May:

P1010726-XL.jpg

Sunshine Village straddles the Great Divide, and stays open until the May 24th long weekend. But I've skied there in July.

Someone asked me yesterday if I had "put the bike up." I don't formally take the bike out of service. We will still get some warm days before weather conditions prevent riding, and there's always the chance of a thaw, with no-salt conditions during the winter, so the riding season never formally ends, as far as I am concerned.

Harry

We got our first Fall snowfall yesterday: about 10 cm.

I was returning from a 4 day trip on Sunday afternoon, and rode through the cold front about 5 km from home. Talk about perfect timing. We had been talking about adding a day to the trip, but luckily I had work to do yesterday, so my buddy and I were spared a nasty ride.

These September storms are not that common, and we have a warm weekend coming up.

Last edited:
We finished out trip a couple days earlier than the time we had allotted. Not because of the pending weather downturn, but fortunate in light of it. We just rode a few more miles each day than anticipated. We've had to ride through snow before on a trip and doing so again is not something we look forward to so it was good to be home with the bikes tucked in in the garage.

I find the toughest part of riding in snow is that it sticks to your faceshield and you have to keep wiping it off. At least at this time of year, it doesn't stick to the ground, so you have some traction.

Threats of flurries in western NE later this week. 6" of rain and washout near me last night. I wont be winterizing but it may be time to hang up the air jacket and pull down the Kili.

did I hear right that some dude in a desert was building a big boat?:stick

Back