• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmet Camera for Christmas

Computer link:)

Probably not a Mac commercial! But, my new addition HP Pavillion Touchsmart 11" Notebook PC works perfect with all GoPro requirements and then some:). This is a perfect size for my GSA bags with its robust carry case I bought from Thule. Never having a touchscreen before, takes a bit of practice but NICE feature and so much faster overall. The price is down to under 400$ now at Best Buy, a WOW good deal:). Family members are buying the newest addition GoPro's and I have much to learn, as they are evolving. IPhone friendly now and more....My older version is still working fine and produces first rate video I cannot complain. IF I had any compalint, it would be the time involved taking videos and camera time from my usual riding I used to do! I'm a high miler guy, riding long days, BUT find myself slowing down and enjoying the above more:).

After reading here and other places i have decided to go with the Drift Ghost-S.
It's an updated camera with better low light and a Sony CCD.
It is about $100 more than the Ghost HD so I told the kids I would kick in whatever was over their budget.
http://driftinnovation.com/drift-ghost-s/

Looks like it has some impressive specs and features. It would be great to get a follow up review on this camera. This may be the one I need, if it is user friendly.

So far I have opened a really cool box and made it so I can't get everything back in.
I will play with it when I get home tonight. It's a little bigger then I thought.
It has a zoom so the coverage can be changed.
I am thinking of writing a review of it for MOA magazine.
Spring is just too far off.... sigh.........

Helpful thread!

SO gave me a GoPro 3+ and now I'll have to upgrade one of my antique (5-8 yrs old) portables- the newer netbook sure won't do it.
Should have done it sooner anyway- bought a new SLR last year that uses the new fast cards and my old portables don't even like those.

Anybody else have either a Mac or PC recommendation? I use both and am partial to SSDs....

Helpful thread!

SO gave me a GoPro 3+ and now I'll have to upgrade one of my antique (5-8 yrs old) portables- the newer netbook sure won't do it.
Should have done it sooner anyway- bought a new SLR last year that uses the new fast cards and my old portables don't even like those.

Anybody else have either a Mac or PC recommendation? I use both and am partial to SSDs....

I quit PC's in 2005 and converted to Mac. Used to program in the PC world.

IMO Mac's are easier to use, connectivity to devices is easier and quicker, always buy the 3 yr apple extended service contract when buying- they have GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE for both H/W and S/W.

Mac are great for video editing and most everything else. Microsoft Word and Excel are superior, but that is about it, from my perspective.

If you are thinking mac laptops then think big. On the new macbook pro and macbook air with the retina display you can't upgrade anything after the fact. No extra RAM, no larger drive. So buy it with all the memory and internal disk space you think you will need. That being said, I'd get a mac. Just wanted you to know the downside. Some of the PC's are that way too. SSD is great for traveling since they don't have moving parts. Plus the speed is awesome.

For whatever reason I am not getting informed of updates to the thread.
This is turning out more complicated than I thought.
I was wondering about bugs on the lenses.
Being able to take still photos while riding is the main reason for getting one.

The Hero3 and 3+ has a time lapse feature in the camera mode. You can set it to take a picture every 0.2, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30 or 60 second.

So far I have opened a really cool box and made it so I can't get everything back in.
I will play with it when I get home tonight. It's a little bigger then I thought.
It has a zoom so the coverage can be changed.
I am thinking of writing a review of it for MOA magazine.
Spring is just too far off.... sigh.........

Have you had a chance to get familiar with it yet? Went to the website and this one looks like it might work well and be user friendly.

GoPro Hero 3 Black for $265

FWIW I just received my GoPro directly from them. At $265 shipped I just couldn't resist.
These are open box/returns/refurbished units but to be perfectly honest, mine looked brand new. It comes with everything a new unit does including their new unit warranty. I haven't used it yet as I just got it the other day and I'm waiting for an SD card to arrive.

Here is the link: http://gopro.com/cameras/refurbished-hero3-black-edition

Check it out.

Joe

Oh man...you just had to post this didn't you? You're right...that's hard to resist.

Now, where's my credit card...

If you are thinking mac laptops then think big. On the new macbook pro and macbook air with the retina display you can't upgrade anything after the fact. No extra RAM, no larger drive. So buy it with all the memory and internal disk space you think you will need. That being said, I'd get a mac. Just wanted you to know the downside. Some of the PC's are that way too. SSD is great for traveling since they don't have moving parts. Plus the speed is awesome.

FWIW
I use a MacBook Pro. Came with 4GB RAM. I upped it to 8GB to run VM Ware. I was able to install the RAM upgrade myself. Doing the upgrade after the purchase saved me some bucks.

Video editing. It's a CHORE !

I'm always in awe of the great videos posted to sell these things but after using a GoPro and a VIO POV, I am more in awe of the guys who can stand to sit through the hours of video in order to edit it down to something watchable. The great moments of almost any ride can be compressed into a 2-3 minute video. To get that from hours worth of riding/ shooting is a CHORE, no matter how fast your Mac or PC. If you shoot in HD, 1080p or higher, you need a loaded computer. RAM, SSD, Hard drive space, and you need decent software that allows "scrubbing" so you can spend less time editing that rock star video. IMHO, it is almost too much work. I have gone back to just taking my digital SLR or point & shoot cameras and stopping to shoot a great shot, whether from the seat of my GS or on a walk, or after I retire for the day. I still get hundreds of great shots.

The cameras that allow you to shoot a photo every 10 minutes or something can be worthwhile and easier to edit. But even then, you may end up with hundreds of photos to review. Just sayin'. YMMV. :dunno

Back