• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 12RT Don't Buy A Shorai Battery

A beating,yes;

The Shorai in our KLR'08 takes a beating, keeps on ticking:). Its so light, we too thought whats up! Anyhow, many falls later and absolutely no service time or charging it, the battery is tough by our experience. Pricey, YES. MY GSA still uses BMW battery, which I know is not high on anybody's list either, but I'm getting good life from it. I'm just not sure I want to spend SO much again for the Shorai and not from what I read here, just so darn pricey!!! Too many options out there and most good. The Odesseys are way high priced too, I hear. Randy

Yeah, it's alway better to wait 5-10 years till they get the bugs out.

In that time we may have compact hydrogen fuel cell technology...just add water and go Folks will be saying " remember those pesky lithium batteries?" :laugh

So, I just found out that Walter Colebatch used a lithium battery in his BMW on the Sibirsky Extreme. Who'd a thunk it. :confused:.

Ok guys, here's my Shorai story. I bought a 14ah Shorai for my Triumph Tiger. It had serious cranking issues when it got cold. I talked to the Shorai guy at one of those big MC shows. He said to call customer service because the got a shipment of batteries with bad boards. They sent me a new 18ah battery and a UPS ticket to send old one back. I got my 1200GS and put the 18aH battery in it. It worked ok but the cold weather was again an issue. Called them up again an they shipped me a 21ah battery which was discussed in several BMW forums as what was needed in a GS. Cost for everything was about $150 for the original battery. Not a cent of the shipping and upgrades. So far the battery fires up instantly or as close to instant any GS fires up. That includes several days down near 30 degrees and I never put it on a charger.

And yes, any chance I get to remove weight from a motorcycle sounds good to me, my 12RT is a heavy
bike in my opinion.

Can you explain this statement a bit? Compared to what is your R12RT heavy? It is a fully loaded sport tourer.

Depending on vintage and configuration:
R12RT -- 600 lbs
Kawi conny 14--670 lbs
ST1300--660 lbs
Yam FJR --650 pounds
K16GT---700+ (guessing)
K13GT --625+??

What sport tourer is out there that weighs less than an R12RT with similar capabilities?
Sure, my CBR600RR for track is around 400 pounds but worthless on the street.
For 200 pounds, you get a very flickable and capable sport tourer in the R12Rt package.

Can you explain this statement a bit? Compared to what is your R12RT heavy? It is a fully loaded sport tourer.

R12RT -- 600 lbs
Kawi conny 14--670 lbs
ST1300--660 lbs
Yam FJR --650 pounds
K16GT---700+ (guessing)
K13GT --625+??

What sport tourer is out there that weighs less than an R12RT with similar capabilities?
For 200 pounds, you get a very flickable and capable sport tourer in the R12Rt package.
Yep, what he said. Ever look what goes in those bags attached to the bike??? After going to a whole bunch of rallies, methinks a whole bunch of riders could shave weight off their touring package by not taking so many trips to the salad bar:eat

R12RT -- 600 lbs
Kawi conny 14--670 lbs
ST1300--660 lbs
Yam FJR --650 pounds
K16GT---700+ (guessing)
K13GT --625+??

I had an RT and now have an R and a FJR (627 lbs.). The FJR is to me much easier to ride than the RT . It carries it's weight lower, handles better and is quicker throughout the entire power band. Guess light is relative. My R is more nimble than the FJR or the RT. While it doesn't have the raw power of the FJR, it could out pace either of the other bikes on a very twisty road.

Love the way all jumped on the heavy bike post. He didn't compare it to anything, just said it was a heavy bike. I thought so as well back in '04 and ordered one of the first 12GS's partially due to wanting a lighter bike. I don't miss the 125 lbs I left behind. On my 7th 12GS now and wish they were lighter. Tried the 800GS and didn't like it so sticking with my 12GS.

Now you know why I prefer not to be a beta tester- but hey I own BMWs anyway...

Not sure why anyone would mess with lithiums unless they really need to save weight for racing (and maybe if the bike has a backup kick starter)- when a very reliable AGM is available for a lot less. I'l believe they're ready for prime time after I see an OEM pick them for a road bike with similar starting requirements to the BMW boxer- which is no where near as easy to crank as any other bike motor in the garage. If a Japanese maker has issues with them, just imagine how fine all those Chinese versions must be.

Funny you should mention beta testing. On another forum someone started a post on BMW quality issues:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82369

Or hear and see some of this for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxbO7QV067s

Chris is a riot, but he's right on. The sting in any rebuke is the truth.

Looks like HD owners got to beta test hydraulic clutches recently--something BMWs have had since the 1990s with no recalls or do not ride warnings. The referenced article, OTOH is overwrought at best. BMW sales remain on record pace. Buyers all fools it appears.

Looks like HD owners got to beta test hydraulic clutches recently--something BMWs have had since the 1990s with no recalls or do not ride warnings. The referenced article, OTOH is overwrought at best. BMW sales remain on record pace. Buyers all fools it appears.

And HD owned up to it and fixed it pronto. They didn't blame the owner, something else or ignore it.

Funny you should mention beta testing. On another forum someone started a post on BMW quality issues:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82369

Or hear and see some of this for yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxbO7QV067s

Chris is a riot, but he's right on. The sting in any rebuke is the truth.

His minor rant on the later wiring systems to me appears to be a reflection of his inability to understand them, and to use the features of them to simplify accessory wiring. Adding a simple accessory fuse-block like "FuzeBlock" - where it offers both switched and unswitched circuits takes all the wind out of that rant. The ever growing complexity of the wiring harnesses on BMWs that didn't use CanBus communications resulted in increasing failures of the wiring harness and ever growing problems with troubleshooting. The CanBus system FIXED that problem, and IMHO - made the systems more reliable, less trouble-prone and easier to troubleshoot if you invested in a GS-911. There have been problems with wonky switch-gear on the latest (Japanese design) controls - but that appears to be strictly a QC problem and not an engineering/design flaw.

He may be a riot - but that doesn't make him omniscient.

His minor rant on the later wiring systems to me appears to be a reflection of his inability to understand them, and to use the features of them to simplify accessory wiring. Adding a simple accessory fuse-block like "FuzeBlock" - where it offers both switched and unswitched circuits takes all the wind out of that rant. The ever growing complexity of the wiring harnesses on BMWs that didn't use CanBus communications resulted in increasing failures of the wiring harness and ever growing problems with troubleshooting. The CanBus system FIXED that problem, and IMHO - made the systems more reliable, less trouble-prone and easier to troubleshoot if you invested in a GS-911. There have been problems with wonky switch-gear on the latest (Japanese design) controls - but that appears to be strictly a QC problem and not an engineering/design flaw.

And his rant wasn't only with wiring. He was pretty detailed and I bet you and he would agree on plenty. What I found most interesting is the idea that BMW corp will do some unusual things with the anticipation that BMW riders will buy anything with the roundel in spite of the problems and how BMW responds/deals with it or not in most cases. Of course it is his opinion, but for some reason I think he may be borne out from objective observation. I'd pay to see him open the big bike shows. He's a rip, but I imagine he doesn't get Christmas cards from BMW dealers or corporate. :)

So we have gone from the battery stinks to BMW bikes stink. I don't know if I should laugh or wonder why you still have a BMW?

So we have gone from the battery stinks to BMW bikes stink. I don't know if I should laugh or wonder why you still have a BMW?

I am not a true believer in anything except death and taxes. Too much religion for me. I realize this is church here, but when I have to suspend disbelief, it's a problem.

Ponch, my post was not aimed at you. I just find the whole thing odd. Hundreds are happy with the Shorai and thousands are happy with their BMW's.
If I didn't like my GS, I'd sell it and leave. I guess human nature doesn't alway allow a clean ending.

I think Canbus appeared on cars as early as 1968. If after 40 or so years it came to a line of motorcycles it hardly seems novel. But tail lights are no longer round and carburetors are now considered quaint.

Ponch, my post was not aimed at you. I just find the whole thing odd. Hundreds are happy with the Shorai and thousands are happy with their BMW's.
If I didn't like my GS, I'd sell it and leave. I guess human nature doesn't alway allow a clean ending.

It does when one can afford it. :thumb

Back