• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2000 R11RT-P What does this do?

Jim Rogers

Doing a battery replacement. On removing the left side Tupperware, I note this hose, coming from under the battery cradle, just laying on top of a wire bundle, running towards the forward portion of the bike, with its end not connected to anything. The open end, a 90 degree formed elbow, does not look like it has ever been connected to anything. What does this do/what is it for and should it be connected somewhere?

Attachments

• DSCN0354.jpg
    DSCN0354.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 155
  • DSCN0351.jpeg
    DSCN0351.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 156
Nope - the hood release is under the dash by the left heater vent control and the washer reservoir/pump/hoses are on the other side, just behind the pull off cover.

This is a vent hose for a lead-acid battery.
It is not needed if your replacement battery is Gel or AGM, the current standard I believe.

This is a vent hose for a lead-acid battery.
It is not needed if your replacement battery is Gel or AGM, the current standard I believe.

I think that's the right answer but the catheter response was pretty damn funny. You never see the good boys with the yellow stripes on their pants (RCMP, in Canada) taking a "break" on the side of the road.

We have a winner. It IS the vent from the original wet battery. Before pulling out the old PC680, I noted the 'L' was the perfect length to connect to a vented battery. On pulling the old battery, I was able to see the hose and follow it to the bitter end, which was along with other similar drain hoses. Mystery solved, unused hose removed.

That's the battery pressurizer. You have to blow into it before starting; if you're drunk, the battery then becomes inebriated and thereby prevents starting. The newer versions have a Bosch voice chip that reminds you to put the kickstand down before getting off the bike.

(But BC's answer WAS better!)

Well, battery replaced with no issue. Right side body panel went on with ease. The left side panel, another story. Just can't seem to get the holes (3) on the tank to line up. Looking closely, the holes on the tank cowling are the issue. HMMM Will get back to it tomorrow.

What does this do?

You guys are all wrong!!!!!
The bike was obviously owned by a proctologist and this hose with adapter is used for performing enemas on left handed people!

What does this do?

You guys are all wrong!!!!!
The bike was obviously owned by a proctologist and this hose with adapter is used for performing enemas on left handed people!

Don't you guys know anything??

Thread Close Out

Regarding the body panels, took the right side off and started over. Put both panels in place and then started with the tank screws. All went on well. 6, 2, and Even, Over and Out.

In fact there were problems with the original wet batteries BMW fitted to Oilheads as they would lose voltage enough to cause lots of ABS fault lights. BMW responded by fitting the sealed battery now standard and wet batteries became history. So is your overflow tube, which you can feel free to remove.

Back