• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Not earthshaking importance...

By that measure no seat is good as I've used sheepskin pads on after market seats, too.

Did the aftermarket seats come with bikes you bought or did you buy the seats separately?

I've never tried a sheepskin pad. What do you do when it rains?

Kontour seat: Gas tank and bladder become limiting factor, not the butt. Cool in the heat (airflow !!!) dry in the rain, and a pleasure to ride on all day, any day. :thumb

Did the aftermarket seats come with bikes you bought or did you buy the seats separately?

I ordered my Kontour shortly after buying the RT. Some used bikes can be purchased with aftermarket seats. My R1200R was traded with a Rick Mayer seat so somebody was spared the horror of the stock seat.

Photos and report here:
http://www.dualsportridersoflouisia...-R1200R-report&p=151976&viewfull=1#post151976

I tried an Alaska Leather sheepskin. It made the stock R1200R seat go from a 1-hour max ride to about a 3-hour ride. After the Sheepskin experiment, the Rick Mayer seat made for a comfortable seat on the RR. The problem with leather seats is that you absolutely have to have a rain cover for them too. Plus you have to maintain them with leather treatment or they will quickly dry out and look bad.

If you get rain with a sheepskin, it is going to get squishy wet, no way around that problem unless you wrap it in some kind of rain cover.

Last edited:
Kent,

I don't know why BMW sales are at an all time high, certainly not because BMW is forcing anything on anybody, but you do not know how many more units they could have sold if they offered additional color choice.

What BMW does force on their customers are terrible seats. Of course, the aftermarket seat guys sell a lot of merchandise because of it.

Corbin, Sargent, Russell, The Meyer brothers, Kontour and others make money ONLY because BMW stock seat suck.

Hardly anyone says "I love my stock seat". It is often the first thing changed when a owner takes delivery.

Even Jeff Dean, renowned BMW expert and collector rode home from the dealer and ordered a seat for his new R 1200 RT.

It is well known that many "experts" have "marshmellow" butts.

Bought separately. A Corbin a long time ago and a Sargent a medium time ago. I didn't use it on the Sargent very long, though. Part of that was because the sheepskin was cheapish and falling apart. The Alaska Leather sheepskin I've on my GS hasn't suffered from that failure.

Mostly nothing. That is I keep riding the bike. If the sheepskin has been soaking in the rain on a parked bike for hours I might temporarily remove it. Otherwise it can feel like sitting on a sponge. For some reason it doesn't feel that way when riding the bike in the rain for hours. Maybe it's because it gets wet slowly. :dunno

It's not for everyone. Ditto beads. I tried beads a long time ago and lasted about 5 minutes before returning then to their owner. Several friends prefer the airhawk to a sheepskin.

Kontour seat: Gas tank and bladder become limiting factor, not the butt. Cool in the heat (airflow !!!) dry in the rain, and a pleasure to ride on all day, any day. :thumb

I ordered my Kontour shortly after buying the RT. Some used bikes can be purchased with aftermarket seats. My R1200R was traded with a Rick Mayer seat so somebody was spared the horror of the stock seat.

Photos and report here:
http://www.dualsportridersoflouisia...-R1200R-report&p=151976&viewfull=1#post151976

I tried an Alaska Leather sheepskin. It made the stock R1200R seat go from a 1-hour max ride to about a 3-hour ride. After the Sheepskin experiment, the Rick Mayer seat made for a comfortable seat on the RR. The problem with leather seats is that you absolutely have to have a rain cover for them too. Plus you have to maintain them with leather treatment or they will quickly dry out and look bad.

If you get rain with a sheepskin, it is going to get squishy wet, no way around that problem unless you wrap it in some kind of rain cover.

Don't you find the Kontour seat covering very slippery? I love the comfort of the foam but the material is so slippery I find my jewels rammed against the tank at each stop. Comment?

Don't you find the Kontour seat covering very slippery? I love the comfort of the foam but the material is so slippery I find my jewels rammed against the tank at each stop. Comment?

Not at all. The open weave texture kept me from sliding around.

What bike are you riding?

Getting back to the original post, and in light of today's press release for the 2014 RT we have three new colors to offer...drum roll please...grey,blue and black. Think I'll go take a nap.

Getting back to the original post, and in light of today's press release for the 2014 RT we have three new colors to offer...drum roll please...grey,blue and black. Think I'll go take a nap.

Have not read the press release, but I would bet the colors are Weissaluminium, Arubablau und Ebenholz.....:laugh:laugh

Back