Thread: "S" fairing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

"S" fairing

Has anyone ever put an Airhead -"S" fairing on an Oilhead ? Just curious as what it might look like ? and how difficult it would be ? Sometime back I 'heard' of a guy installing an Airhead "RS" fairing on a naked Roadster, but never heard anymore about it, or have seen any pictures.

Sure sign winter is coming....my mind starts to wonder....

No longer a member here
    What Oilhead model?
    The "S" fairing has plenty of look-alikes as it is more or less a typical cafe fairing of that time. You may find one that you can easily adopt to your oilhead. An original S fairing will be rather expensive to come by as those who have them, think they have a layer of precious metal in between the fiberglass outer and inner. The biggest problem is always the mounting and the headlight. The two basic cafe fairings are "frame mount" ( don't turn with the handlebars) and "handlebar mount" (move with the steering). You need to decide what your preference is and then look for that.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSimon View Post
    What Oilhead model?
    The "S" fairing has plenty of look-alikes as it is more or less a typical cafe fairing of that time. You may find one that you can easily adopt to your oilhead. An original S fairing will be rather expensive to come by as those who have them, think they have a layer of precious metal in between the fiberglass outer and inner. The biggest problem is always the mounting and the headlight. The two basic cafe fairings are "frame mount" ( don't turn with the handlebars) and "handlebar mount" (move with the steering). You need to decide what your preference is and then look for that.

I understand, have done several similar projects. Just not this particular match. And no I would not 'cobble' up an original . As you noted, too many look-a-likes out there. I was just wondering if anyone out there had [actually] done it? Or! seen one that had been done?

The "S" fairing goes around the headlight, where as the "RS" replaces it. I'm sure it could be worked out & look nice with either. Myself, more interested in just the "S" . Never know I might get antcy this winter....

Recall seeing somewhere (R1150R.net perhaps?) an updated version of an S based on an 1150R. Even had a replica sort of black/silver smoked paint job. IMHO, it was a great sort of modern tribute bike.

Cheers! Bill J
    Bill Johnston

RS fairing, yes. S, no.

Ride Safe, Ride Lots

Left Coast Rider
    Here's one for a 1200R. Sourcing the detail bits could be "challenging".

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...01314-437.html

Quote Originally Posted by bikerfish1100 View Post
    RS fairing, yes. S, no.

In that shot, that looks decent. On an 1150R 'Roadster' the oil coolers may be a problem. Not something I'll rush into, but keep it mind. I still favor the "S" which I'm sure would be easier to fab-up.