• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

diagnostic help requested - non running '08 R1200RT

Rob, I appreciate your offer and will PM you if I need help. I would rather not impose, but I also believe you wouldn't offer if you didn't mean it. Thanks.
This guy - you can trust is on the level - as are the greatest majority of those posting in this thread. Everyone here has roughly the same goal - to support our chosen steeds, and our fellow riders.

Impose is an odd word in this context - you really have to understand just who may be doing the imposing. Is it the person that could use a little help - or the person that enjoys working on bikes offering to help?... headscratch.gif

Today I got out of work a little earlier than I expected, and found my new GS911 waiting in the mail box. Not bad, 2 days from CA. I had picked up some starting fluid on the way home, too.
After setting up the software, I used the GS911 to interrogate for fault codes and sure enough, the only fault was fuel pump, twice. Just like I remembered it, and it even could tell me the first time the rpms were around 2800, and the second time around 1200 (the brief restart.)
After removing all the tupperware, which I found to be a much easier job than for the K bike, I sprayed some starting fluid in the air box and it fired, proving spark. Then I pulled the fuel tank and carefully made a better bypass to supply 12 volts to the fuel pump, directly from an extra battery, using appropriate caution (no lectures, please) and I heard the fuel pump run.
I conclude: Common things are common.
The FPC is faulty and I'll order a new one tomorrow.
I'm glad it was "only" the FPC, which will set me back $150-180, rather than the fuel pump which would've been nearly 3 times that.
Unlike other stories on the net, the top of my tank was clean and dry, and under the FPC it was also clean and dry. The cooling fins were not badly oxidized or corroded. There is no obvious explanation for this part failing in only 10 thousand miles other than defective design. I sure hope the new one does better.

There is no obvious explanation for this part failing in only 10 thousand miles other than defective design. I sure hope the new one does better.
They fail internally, with no outer indications, about half as often as they do with moisture contamination. There have been numerous speculators to why but the bottom line is - the older, silver - FPCs are a poorly designed part. It's a "luck of the draw" thing that either fails - and mileage or age are not factors - or they don't.

My 07 RT still sports the factory silver FPC at just shy of 99,000 miles - the right pocket of my fairing sports a shiny new black one - forever threatening the life of the silver one.

As to the new FPC failing - I've only heard anecdotal information that one - only one - had failed.

Happy to hear you got it properly diagnosed.

Which part number do I want? "fuel pump, electronic" commonly known as fuel pump controller
or

There is a $30 price difference (for the black paint??) and I want to be certain I get the right one.

EDIT: never mind, it is the 776 part for regular bikes, and the 777 part is for police bikes.

Last edited:
Just an observation - I've never heard of a FPR failing on an R1200R, which has it mounted differently than the other models. Perhaps I've missed it - but I'm fairly well plugged into the R12R community, and they just don't seem to crap out. My WAG is the failures are still moisture related - as the FPR's that fail are mounted in such a way that water can lay on them - and leak past the seal to the pump flange. On the R12R the pump flange is located vertically in the inner wall of the fuel tank lobe - water won't tend to accumulate there.

Great to see you got action from the starting fluid. Remember this test in the future, for cars, bikes, lawnmowers, etc. It tells you so much so quickly.

I assume the new FPC will come with a new gasket. When I preventively replaced mine, I used a liberal application of dielectric grease on the gasket to insure, as best I could, a water tight seal. Been fine for 7 years now.

Racer, let us (me?) know when you are in a better situation, it would be fun to meet for a lunch, etc.

Robo (Rob)

Yes Rob, starting fluid is such an easy test, and much cheaper than a GS 911, :) but having both just adds to the well stocked garage. It does come with the o-ring gasket, which I will coat with some silicone grease just to be on the safe side.
I'm itching to get it running and go for a ride. Hopefully tomorrow the postman will bring me a present from MAX.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Jim

Jim,
Glad this worked out easily for you.
Between Rob's tip on the ether method for checking spark and my reminder to make sure you tested with a proper bypass, you got the right diagnosis and will have a simple fix
I'm intrigued by Don's comment on the R1200R which does have an identical part but mounted in a different location. I've got a slightly different idea of how water might get in to items that look dry though. I think the top of that silver fpc is not waterproof around the connectors and water may penetrate both directly through the top as well as working its way to the gasket area where it could wick into the board through the very poor rubbery sealing material used on the board- which doesn't really make a watertight seal at the periphery. Should have been potted in an epoxy instead.

Although failure of the new fpc is rare indeed, it is wise to carry your bypass cable on the bike when you travel. If nothing else, you can be the hero who saves some other rider you meet on the road or at a rally.

Rob- might yet get to meet you in the Raleigh area- the SO and I did a hurried run there the other day so she could test ride an F800GT- which she likes a lot and may add to her R1100S- so we may end up going back I liked it well enough to seriously think about using one in the mountains in place of an RT. It is similar enough in power to weight that it will be both easier and faster (yes and by a pretty good margin) in tight stuff though the RT should maintain a very slight margin in flat out acceleration. In recent tests of all the various cop bikes including the RT, the Michigan State Police found it fastest around their test track (by a full 8 seconds than a Hardly, talk about getting killed) which surprises me not at all after playing with one myself. All the farkles needed to set it up right exist and though its ergos are way better than the F800ST, it still needs adjustments to really suit a touring role as compared to a summer play bike one.

FIXED :twirl

I must admit I checked the mail box three times today, anxious for the part to come from MAX. They shipped USPS with online tracking so I knew it was out for delivery.
The bike started instantly. I cleared the codes with the GS911.
I went for a little 50 mile ride around the block and I'm happy. It runs normally and I sure enjoy riding it.

Thanks to everyone who commented and offered support.

Jim

FIXED :twirl

I must admit I checked the mail box three times today, anxious for the part to come from MAX. They shipped USPS with online tracking so I knew it was out for delivery.
The bike started instantly. I cleared the codes with the GS911.
I went for a little 50 mile ride around the block and I'm happy. It runs normally and I sure enjoy riding it.

Thanks to everyone who commented and offered support.

Jim

The GS 911 will be used more than you think....remember you will need it to reset the service reminders....I also save a copy of the autoscans when I do my services for proof of service if I sell the bike.

Ron

Yes Rob, starting fluid is such an easy test, and much cheaper than a GS 911, :) but having both just adds to the well stocked garage.

Jim

Oh yes, I have both of course. The GS 911 does me absolutely no good on my other four non BMW bikes! Starting fluid works on everything!

Excellent news! You saved enough in labor to partially pay for the GS911. And of course you know your bike better which is good.

Racer, you come up let me know.

Best,
Rob

Same issue... many years later..

I have the same issue listed in this thread, Any chance anyone has a GS-911 I can rent/ Borrow? Located in San Diego area. 2007 r1200rt

I have the same issue listed in this thread, Any chance anyone has a GS-911 I can rent/ Borrow? Located in San Diego area. 2007 r1200rt

Have you tried asking your local club? You may also want to post on the "Region" section on the forum - that may get you a bit more traction...

Back