• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'06 1200 RT brake light switch

OK, I'm lost...where is the '06 1200 RT brake light switch located? I want to install a BACK OFF light activator on the bike and the mfg. said to wire it into the brake light switch line. I guess I don't need to find the switch as much as find which wire is the correct one. Thanks for your help!
JSPRAGG154544

You might have some issues. I'm pretty sure the '06 RT is wired the same as the GS of that era. If so there are two switches and neither goes to the brake light... they are signal switches that tell the ZFE that you've depressed a lever. The ZFE turns on the brake light and tells the ABS unit via the canbus that the lever is being depressed. One of the switches is at the front brake lever --- you can hear the "click" as you gently squeeze the brake. The other is at the foot lever.

You might be able to get a signal from the brake light. That's where the P3 lights connect.

Brake lights rt

You might have some issues. I'm pretty sure the '06 RT is wired the same as the GS of that era. If so there are two switches and neither goes to the brake light... they are signal switches that tell the ZFE that you've depressed a lever. The ZFE turns on the brake light and tells the ABS unit via the canbus that the lever is being depressed. One of the switches is at the front brake lever --- you can hear the "click" as you gently squeeze the brake. The other is at the foot lever.

You might be able to get a signal from the brake light. That's where the P3 lights connect.

Thanks, What are the P3 lights?

Another thing to consider (I have an 05 R12RT) is that there is not a separate brake wire. The voltage is increased for braking. I don't know if it is a 6 volt running, 12 volt braking, or a duty cycle. The heated seat is a duty cycle, haven't hooked an oscilloscope to the brakes.

As mentioned, there are many, including OEM, add on brake lights. The OEM is pricey, but it works great and wires in to the existing connectors making it quite simple of a job.

Brake light

Thanks for the suggestions..................as usual, I thought this was going to be much easier than it's turning out to be. Sound familiar?
Anybody know the color of the 12 v wire coming off the rear brake switch on the '06 RT?

Back