• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Fuel Tank Venting Problems

captainmako21

Ran my bike a couple of days ago for a couple hours. Bike is 1986 R80; no suffix. All normal. Filled up gas
tank enroute my home and thereafter it was just a couple miles to home. Parked bike in garage and next day
found gas weeping from the vent (apparently) at the front top of the engine. Has anyone experienced this before?
Admittedly tank was quite full, but have done same before and no issues. Garage is large metal-roofed building
that does get fairly hot inside. Could the gas merely be expanding and the tank venting normal? I haven't pulled
the tank recently. I did, however, update all the mounting grommets and the front rubber deal under the tank. That
has been a few weeks. At the time all was fine. Anybody????????

Just sounds like a too-full tank situation. My /7 has a drain tube that takes fluids down the right side to the ground. I think it's meant for rainwater that collects in the well around the neck...it could also let any fuel drain during a gas station stop if you got it too full. I don't think it's necessarily meant for this type of overflow.

Does the '86 have the in-tank flapper? Wasn't that included to keep people from filling too full...of course, it reduced the amount of gas in the tank which equated to loss of range.

Greetings Kurt. Yes, it does have the flapper. I have never had this happen before and I may well have
filled too full. Plus, when I moved the bike off the center-stand it appears the shifting movement caused some
gas to weep from the fill vent hose. The tank is very full as I only ran a couple miles to my home since filling-up.
All is fine with bike just sitting still on the center-stand.

Hey Captain

CaptainMako,

My gosh, if it seems to be from the top of the engine where you see gas, make sure your vent tube is hooked to your tank. That overflow fuel is supposed to safely hit the ground, without any hot exhaust in between its safe path of travel. Be safe!

CaptainMako,

My gosh, if it seems to be from the top of the engine where you see gas, make sure your vent tube is hooked to your tank. That overflow fuel is supposed to safely hit the ground, without any hot exhaust in between its safe path of travel. Be safe!

I'll be draining and pulling tank today. Will let you guys know what I find. Thanks all.

UPDATE: Removed petcocks and pulled off tank. Problem: no hose on the tank overflow. It fell off so a little venting of gas going
of the engine top. I'm going to connect hoses to both nipples on tank and run them down where the battery vent hose used to be. Have gel battery now.

While in the top of engine going to remove all of the Shed Fuel System. Anyone have a link on how to remove or is it self-explanatory?
I did search on this site and couple others. Nothing specific.
Thanks in-advance.

Something to keep in mind when fueling: Nearly every gas station's tanks are underground, so when it goes in the tank, its 60 or 70 degrees. When you put it in a steel tank that sits right above a hot engine or sits in the sun, the fuel temp goes up and so does its volume. Doesn't really matter if you're running down the road, but when you park right after filling up.....

Something to keep in mind when fueling: Nearly every gas station's tanks are underground, so when it goes in the tank, its 60 or 70 degrees. When you put it in a steel tank that sits right above a hot engine or sits in the sun, the fuel temp goes up and so does its volume. Doesn't really matter if you're running down the road, but when you park right after filling up.....

Point well taken. Thanks.

Back